Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 AM

219 posts, read 455,438 times

Advertisements

a few tornado's have been reported to have went through the towns of Washinton and Pekin, IL just moments ago, please stay safe everyone!

Damage from Washington, IL:

Damage from Pekin, IL"

Peoria/Pekin Tornado:

Last edited by CincyIowan; 11-17-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:43 AM

219 posts, read 455,438 times

Old 11-17-2013, 01:24 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,295 times
My thoughts are with the residents of those communities in Illinois. My neighborhood was hit by an EF-2 tornado in April 2012 and I'll never forget the destruction and heartache it caused. I know the feeling must be ten times worse with the widespread devastation shown above.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Looks very bad, I hope no lives were lost. I'm listening to police and fire on Broadcastify.

Top 50 Live Audio Feeds

Old 11-17-2013, 04:21 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Don't panic. The news crawler is reporting the most damage in Tazewell County. No more volunteers are needed; Resident with injuries are being moved to OSF which is currently reporting a total of 28 injuries. OSF is a Level 1 trauma hospital that is in the Mayo Clinic Network. The patients are getting the best possible care.

The 95 mile long Illinois River Valley has experienced torrential rains and dangerous high winds off and on for several hours. This area usually sees more damage from floods, and high winds than from actual tornado activity. It is important to understand straight line winds that follow a tornado can exceed 80mph, and in some areas it can do as much damage as a tornado. Fujiti tornado scale with wind speed comparison.
The Enhanced Fujita Scale | Weather Underground

I JUST NOW SPOKE WITH THE PEORIA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE. This is what is known at at 4:52pm Nov.17, 2013

1. No damage in Peoria or Peoria County.
2. Known damage in Pekin is in the area around 8th and Sheridan. This area is south of 474 and auto row.
3. Known damage in East Peoria is a subdivision. Exact location unknown.
4. The extent of the damage to the City of Washington is unknown. Injured are instructed to go to the Washington firehouse. No schools will open in Washington tomorrow. Residents are being asked to conserve WATER as water mains in the city were disrupted.

The State Farm Claims office is open. Do call 1-800-sf-claim to report damage.

Red Cross shelters have been set up in Washington and East Peoria.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I read that at least 2 people were killed - 70 homes destroyed.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Bad day in Illinois weather-wise.

The tornado icons across this map each designate reports of tornado touchdowns. The lightning/t-storm icons identify areas swept by high winds. Reports of large hail are indicated by the icons with 3 raindrops in them. We're getting reports of people trapped in buildings, widespread damage and homes flattened by Sunday's horrific tornado outbreak. 53 tornado reports have been filed with the Storm Prediction Center--and the number grows.

cold back side of the storm is now hitting us. Winds up to 50mph+

This storm currently has a central barometric pressure equal to a Cat 1 hurricane

This is an aerial shot of the devastation which has been done by Sunday afternoon's tornado in downstate Washington, IL, just under 135 miles southwest of Chicago. Reports indicate a heartbreaking swath of destruction through the community of 15,000. And Washington IL wasn't the only community hit. More than 4 dozen tornado reports have been filed with the Storm Prediction Center and if the reporting on this tornado outbreak's aftermath follows the typical course, it's going to to take time before the true extent of the carnage becomes clear. That we're seeing debris blown into communities so far upstream of Washington isn't a good sign.

^^

That's an EF4 at least...

Old 11-17-2013, 06:44 PM

Update: I'm talking to a cousin as he drives from Washington to Pekin.

A swath of power outage with non-working stoplights between IL RT 8 outside of Washington to US 150. This is the Washington Street Hill area in East Peoria. He sees lights toward Morton, and lights in East Peoria as he heads toward Creve Coeur via Creve Coeur Hill. WEEK-TV on Sringfield Road is off-line. There is speculation that this is where the storm did the most damage.

There is no lights until he reaches Creve Coeur, but beginning the descent to 474; it's dark too, as is are all the restaurants, Marquette Heights, Radio City, auto row, Marigold Estates, parts of IL RT 98 to Parkway, to 8th Street. Pekin does has power from downtown out toward the mall which is essentially away from the river. Without seeing the damage it is hard to know how far the storm followed railroad track, or if it was in South Pekin.

All houses between Sheridan and the river are dark. Ameren linemen and trucks x 8 with portable lights are working in this area. Telephone poles and trees are snapped in half like tooth picks, he said, power lines are downed and on roads; he drivers over the lines. Roofs are gone on all the houses he sees, and says the streets are litered with downed limbs and debris.

He said he saw houses in Washington flattened. When I asked he said this area is about 2 miles south of downtown Washington (I expected it). It begins near Kroger's just past the IL RT 8 junction. Georgetown apartments near here were damaged, too. Rt. 8 passes ICC and crosses the river at Peoria Heights.

The next phase will be to see if Quinn and FEMA declares any of the area a disaster.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:14 PM

562 posts, read 989,308 times
Looks like Washington had some pretty bad damage. I got a bit of hail damage on my car in Peoria Heights and there is some decent flooding at my apartment complex but nothing too severe. I have a lot of friends in Washington and Pekin that are having a rough time.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 AM

Peoria got an inordinate amount of rain today. The newscaster said tonight there were 9 tornadoes today in Central Illinois. He also said of all the storms and tornadoes reported in the Midwest Illinois had most of it. It has been a Wicked Weather day for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois