U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 05:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,212 times

Advertisements

Hi All...We're an Indian family in our 30s with young kids moving to Naperville in January, and were hoping to pick your brains a little. Though we've lived in the Chicago area for quite a while earlier (6 years for me, 13 for my husband), it was never with kids of school-going age. So a lot of things (school district, home prices, etc.) didn't matter back then, and now they do. We've been in India for the last 3 years, and are now moving back to the Naperville area.

We are looking to buy sometime in the next year. Husband's job is in north Naperville. I will be a stay-at-home-mom when we move, but will look for jobs in a few months...hoping to find something in the western suburb area. My son will be eligible for kindergarten in the fall of 2014. My daughter is only 2. We want a fairly diverse neighbourhood, safe with good schools. But our budget is low- 250K tops. We really don't mind buying something small, but with good resale value and the area needs to be good.

COuld you suggest where we would be able to buy? We would like to stay away from route 59 and its traffic. Ideally, I would like to live near North Central College...east of it...near Steeple Run Elementary, but would that be way out of our budget? Are there any other neighbourhoods you could suggest for our budget? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 AM

28,461 posts, read 79,351,869 times
You may actually do better not real close to North Central College but perhaps south of Benedictine University. Parts of these areas are served by the Naperville D203 schools and though some of the houses are a little dated they are far more afforabable than those closer to downtown Naperville.

Commute to employers in northern Naperville is still excellent, there are nice parks in Lisle, easy access to shopping both near Rt 53 and further south along 75th, the biggest trade-off is that you cannot walk to the Naperville train station.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:12 PM

Thanks, chet! I will check out that area. How do you think we'd do in Downers Grove?

Old 11-20-2013, 09:30 PM

28,461 posts, read 79,351,869 times
Most parts of Downers Grove are pricer than similar sized homes in Lisle.

The schools in Downers Grove are generally more desirable than those in Lisle but some folks prefer the smaller schools in Lisle, especially if the choice is between an area that feeds into Downers Grove South High School. That said it is probably worth including DG in your overall search as if you can find a home that perhaps needs some updating at a good price it might be wishin your price point.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:54 PM

Okay, thanks a bunch!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois