Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Starbuck's in Danville... that's when you know it lost its claim as a "luxury" item.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Starbuck's in Danville... that's when you know it lost its claim as a "luxury" item.
They expanded into smaller markets in the mid oughts and when the recession hit, many of these smaller stores were closed. Same thing happened in Galesburg and even earlier in Ottawa right off I-80. Starbucks closed hundreds of under-performing stores. And then there are newer stores in smaller cities that seem to be doing fine like the one in Charleston.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 PM

30 posts, read 59,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've noticed a staggering inability of anyone from Danville to clearly articulate a basic thought or idea in this forum. No wonder the place is such a crater.
come on, Drover. i don't post much, but i've been lurking on city-data for a few years now and i usually enjoy reading your posts, but this one rubbed me the wrong way. i was born and raised in danville. i won't lie: like the majority of my friends, when i turned 18 i hightailed it out of there. i attended college in indiana, graduated, and after a brief stint living in utah i settled in madison, wi., where i've lived for the past 7 years, working for one of the 500 largest e-retailers in america. many of my friends/acquaintances from high school are also living fulfilling lives and are certainly capable of "articulating a basic thought or idea."

i guess my point is: yes, there are very few opportunities in danville, and no, i would never consider moving back. but, to imply that everyone from danville or all of its 30,000 current residents are ignorant neanderthals is completely inaccurate.

i don't mean for this to be an attack on you personally, i just used your quote above as a springboard to warn against the pitfalls of sweeping generalities. sorry for rambling.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator80 View Post
i don't mean for this to be an attack on you personally, i just used your quote above as a springboard to warn against the pitfalls of sweeping generalities. sorry for rambling.
I will note in my defense that I didn't use a sweeping generality, but rather referred specifically to posts in this forum.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:43 PM

219 posts, read 455,397 times
One good thing about Danville is that they have a Big Boy restaurant! Love that place!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:24 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Actually there is a lot to like about Danville. There is a couple of colleges, a decent park system, a VA Hospital, and VA Call Center and even a Bon Ton store. It ain't all bad. Sustainability - Danville Public Works

What I would say to bored teenagers is this: a slower life is what all small towns offer. If you want big city life you go to it. Danville has some very nice natural resources to enjoy. If you have a shopping area, a walkable area, hiking and biking trails, grocery stores, a bowling alley and public pool, perhaps a movie theater as well as movie rental, and a nice motel or two, it is by far the worst place to live. All towns have less than stellar areas; stay out of them, and enjoy a lower cost of living.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times
Ok... let me let u in on the REAL Danville, Illinois. I have lived there all my life. I love Danville so much. The crime and everything like that? It's all in certain parts cause I can tell u right now..if u drive up to north Danville down Vermilion street...it..is..not..a..dirt..pit. So if u really wanna know about the REAL Danville email me at Mod cut: email address removed.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-11-2014 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
I left Danvile in 1991 when i was 16 and decided to move to Champaign to live with my father, best decision I ever made. Danville was poor and disgusting with nothing for a teenager to do but walk up and down the tiny mall, drive and park on main street, or like i did start running with the wrong crowd getting into trouble out of pure boredom. 22 years later it has been nothing but a downward spiral, that would have loved to have pulled me down with it. I now live in Orlando florida with my Floridian wife and kids. I have 2 degrees, Iam self employed, own a lovely home with wonderful neighbors and i attribute much of my success to having the oppertunity to leave and move away from Danville. My heart goes out to my childhood friends who did not have the chance to get out and are stuck in that depressing little corner of the earth. If you have the choice not to move their and Champaign-Urbana is an option, please I strongly urge you, do not move your family to that crime infested ghetto that iam ashamed to call my home town.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,403 times
Default More info

I've been reading alot about there are certain parts of Danville that are ghetto or are just plain bad. I'm looking at a property there (online so far) and would like to know what it is like in the area of E. Main St between Buchanan St & Washington Ave. I am thinking of opening a business there. I have not purchased a ticket to fly out as of yet to take a look for myself so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
City of Danville, Illinois - Home .

The median family income is $30,500. Males have an income of $32,000 and famales $22,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois