U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,648 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I have a phone interview in a couple of days regarding my eligibility for UE benefits. The letter states, "this interview is requested because you indicated on your application that you were discharged from your unemployment." The main reason for my discharge is because I voiced myself truthfully about how the company was managed on their Facebook page. Yes, I get that I could be seen as unprofessional by taking such matters to a public community. Here is what I said:

Quote:
This place would be a lot better if management knew how to treat their employees the way they expect to be treated in return. Is it leader-like for a manager to talk amongst other managers about certain employees in front of other employees in a negative way? Is it right to cut employee hours down for reasons that are unknown to certain staff? How indirect can management be? I am currently employed here and wanted to express myself publicly in regard to how things really are at [work place]. An employee cannot voice their concerns in the managers office without it being one sided (manager talks over their employees and disregards anything their employee has to say), so this is why I chose to do so here. If I get fired for expressing myself and telling it like it is, then, that is ridiculous. Good day
However, I do not see why I should not be eligible for UE benefits due to how poorly managed the place was/is. I am not the only one who feels/felt that way about this place. Another former employee also chimed in and expressed themselves:

Quote:
Management there is absolutely terrible! Being a former employee that was bullied by the management, I know exactly what you mean! And that is why their business will never be successful with that kind of leadership in place.
A few years ago, a former employee expressed himself toward the manager about how the manager was hypocritical and for that was fired because of it.

The turnover rate for employees at this place are noticeable that even guests have noticed quite a number of new faces in a short time period.

I thought what I did was right because as I've stated in the comment that I left that an employee cannot converse with the manager(s) directly in the manager's office about such situations without it being dismissed, not taken into consideration or the manager talks in a hostile manner over the employee. I was a victim of such hostile mannerisms expressed by the manager as he swore at me, etc. and I chose to remain silent and continue to get harassed by such poor "leadership" and continue working for this establishment for two more years.

In no way am I being dishonest. I even expressed the reason as to why I was discharged. Why would I not be eligible for such UE benefits when honesty was/is involved? Is it primarily due to the misconduct, if you will?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,522,973 times
Whether or not it is truthful is moot. What you did is paint yourself as a negative, disgruntled, disloyal employee. Their company lawyer couild quite possibly make a case against you for Libel or Slander. Sooner or later they will sue an employee to set an good example as to why "employees' loose lips and busy keyboards" land them in court.

Let's see here... it looks like you burned your bridges when you should have been looking for another job? This ex-employer will not give you a good recommendation. FYI: It is much easier to get hired when you have a job, than it is to get hired when you don't have a job.

I hope I am wrong, but I suspect you will not receive any unemployment benefits. Your new former employer will deny it. Unfortunately we cannot erase a life chapter in history and rewrite the ending.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
>