Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 10:42 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,668 times

Advertisements

Greetings - My gal and I are going nuts with this neverending winter and would like to escape 20 degrees this weekend, if just for a day. Forecast for Saturday shows 50+ degrees if you get about halfway or more down into IL.

We would like the shortest drive from Milwaukee to 50+ degrees that brings us to a decent hiking area. I know that some of the summer spots will be wet and unfit for hiking right around now, so that would be a factor as well. And I have no problems with IN/IA suggestions if need be, mostly we're looking at the length of the drive, which would either be late Friday or very early Saturday, and back on Sunday.

Help us walk around outdoors in light jackets this weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
You could try Starved Rock state park in Oglesby or anything near Galena; those are both still in Northern Illinois, though. Also, you could try the New Salem mountain bike trail in Petersburg (New Salem Mountain Bike Trail in Petersburg, Illinois || SINGLETRACKS.COM), or basically anything in the Illinois river valley around Peoria (Illinois River Bluff - North - Hiking trip | EveryTrail).

Old 03-20-2014, 11:34 AM

Looked at most of those, but they're still mid-40s and not low-50s - not that I'd expect anyone to double check the weather for me! Anything slightly south of that, maybe Effingham/Terre Haute region? Thanks for the suggestions, I've been to Peoria a few times, but never hiked around the river, so I'll put that on the list for some later day; have done Starved Rock, Galena/driftless, etc.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
I checked Peoria and Effingham. Both are in the 60s on Friday. The rest of the weekend is iffy with cooler temps, gusty winds, and possible rain. Wait a week or two. We are just coming out of the deep freeze.

BTW, Grandview Drive in Peoria Heights is built atop the cliffs that overlook the Illinois River Valley. You will have sidewalks most of the way. But you don't want to walk down to the park at the foot of the hill. There are no sidewalks, no walking path, no bike path, and no shoulders, and it isvery heavily wooded. The road is steep and narrow with steep, sharp curves; no line of sight!. No one walks it. Otherwise it is gorgeous, and perfect for a drive through from top to bottom.

If you are feeling frisky there is a 178' lookout tower with steps to climb to the observation deck not too far from the entrance to Grandview Drive on Prospect Avenu. An oversized giant red cardinal graces the exterior. The bird looks like a handle on a coffee mug.

Glen Oak park is about 500 acres with a zoo and botanical garden. The wild animal refuse offers plenty of places to walk, and you can sleep to the wolf lullaby on premises. Detweiller Park is 600 acres of walking and hiking, and marina. Bradley Park is smaller with plenty of walking. These three parks are multi-level with paved roads and steep hills.

You can drive into Peoria on IL 29s from 1-80 via Princeton. You will pass Detweiller Park on your right after you drive thru Chillicothe. I-29 is a beautiful drive through hills, farm, and forest, that follows the course of the river close to 100 miles. It really is more visually pleasing when the trees are in full leaf, and in the fall when the leaves are colorful. .

Last edited by linicx; 03-20-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 12:52 PM

Thanks - I realize it's not the ideal time to go in terms of peak beauty, but that's not what I'm looking for. I didn't see any rain in the forecast, low 50s would be great for us Saturday but I think it'll have to be a 5+ hour drive to do that. Clearly there's more/better overall hiking right where I'm at & north (or west), just want to be outside for once walking around without having to put on a giant winter jacket & etc., and saw that it would be over 50 & sunny a certain distance south. Will have to do the Peoria area again some time, it's been years but I always thought the valley was a really nice area. If anyone has suggestions for a little further south than Peoria - Effingham/Terre Haute latitude - please let me know!

Old 03-20-2014, 01:21 PM

If you want to get away for a weekend you might like Grizzly Jack's. It is very near the entracnce to Starved Rock State Park. There is plenty of outdoor space to investigate. It also has an indoor waterpark open only to guests. Each unit, as far as I know, includes a w/d and perhaps a small kitchen. It is isolated so there is a lot of land to walk. As for Peoria, there is more to see and do a little later when the weather improves.

Check your weather on NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration ...

Old 03-21-2014, 08:59 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! When I checked out the extended forecast earlier in the week, it had us in the 30s Saturday and 4 hours south in the 50s and sunny; now, there probably isn't enough difference in the likely temperatures to warrant the drive this weekend. Might use this info next weekend or some time later this year - cheers!

Old 04-04-2014, 02:43 PM

11 posts, read 10,757 times
Sand Ridge State Forest is very cool hike this time of year. It is an area just south of Peoria in Manito. It has a lot of really tall pine trees and most of the trails are sand (hence the name). You will also come across some cacti along the trails. If you are into fishing, there is the Jake Wolf Fish Hatchery just outside the park and you can get a tour.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:18 PM

I can add to this a bit. Havana and Lewistown ahare a natural animal habitat home known as the largest inland wildlife refuge in Amerca. Not from it is Native American museum with ancient ruins and aritfacts from the era when the Mound Builders roamed Central Illinois. .

Old 04-09-2014, 05:13 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,505,813 times
Here is one of the best hiking areas in Central Illinois:

DNR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois