Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times

Advertisements

The last time I was in Dunlap there was nothing but difty roads and a gas station. Maybe uppity and snotty is better word than ratty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 10:33 AM

269 posts, read 1,100,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The last time I was in Dunlap there was nothing but difty roads and a gas station. Maybe uppity and snotty is better word than ratty.
Well, besides the fact that you are calling my family and friends "uppity" and "snooty", (which in and of itself is "uppity" and "snooty"), your statement is totally rediculous since you don't live anywhere close, and have not obviously been up here in recent history. If you had been up here, you would know that we still only have one gas station, and a few mom 'n pop establishments. Our town has only a few thousand! What more to you want? I guess our (dirty?) roads aren't up to your standards, but I kinda like the whole rural-ness that it offers us. Dunlap is a town that has a lot going for it right now. That shouldn't come as a shock, and if you want to take advantage of it, move up here. You might want to check your elitist remarks at the door though, because no one around here likes to be told they are snoots because of a zip code.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 PM

51 posts, read 144,655 times
Default Dunlap isn't snooty or uppity at all

I've lived in E. Peoria now for almost 3 years. I know the area pretty well now.

Dunlap isn't snooty: I don't know where anyone gets that. For the record. Dunlap itself is a tiny little town, very pretty, about 10 miles NNW of Peoria. The confusion comes because people call areas "Dunlap" that are a good 10 miles away from the actual town: such as the Thousand Oaks subdivision just N of Hwy 6 on Knoxville; or the area around Grand Prairie Mall. These two locations are a good 10 miles from the actual town of Dunlap.

A similar confusion exists around here when they call Germantown Hills "Metamora". The actual town of Metamora is a good 6-8 miles ENE of Germantown Hills.

I don't think of either area as "snooty". Everything is relative.

Much of Dunlap might be described as "upper middle", but again, that is a misnomer. There are what I'd call "lower upper" areas like Thousand Oaks, but there are also middle and lower middle areas in the vast area called Dunlap. You can find a cheap apartment in Dunlap; and you can find a few homes over $1M in Dunlap. In addition, much of Dunlap is still undeveloped farm land.

Ditto with Germantown Hills. On the whole, it is an "upper middle" class area: homes in the $250K to $400K range where professionals live. But again, you can find a $500/month apartment there, and you can find a $1.5M home there if you look.

Everything is relative. I suppose you could say where I live is "snooty", but is it really? The people here are very nice, very middle class, very down to earth. The same is true in most places.

There might be an envy, though, toward Dunlap from some areas. The reason for that envy is probably that Dunlap has most of the new construction around the Peoria area. That can be good (great for the economy), but it can also be bad (seas of tract homes). In the case of Dunlap, there aren't that many tract homes yet, and the area still contains a rural flavor.

Snooty? Please.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:33 PM

16 posts, read 46,065 times
has anybody had time to find out who the manager or the owner of hillcrest trailer park in havana is yet. im still looking somethig else i found and was wondering about is queen ann court is it a mobil home park or is it a camping trailer park. if it is a mobil home park can somebody get me the owner or manager i no that the owner of queen ann in havana is jerry nettler and his sone jeff. is it the same can somebody help me please

Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Default Different City

Hillcrest Trailer Park is in Jacksonville, not Havana.

Hillcrest Mobile Home Park
841W. Morton Ave
Jacksonville, IL, 62650

Phone: 217-243-1313

Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 PM

16 posts, read 46,065 times
They have a hillcrest trailer park in havana. a friend of mines mother in law lived there said it was a good place verry little trouble there. located behind the havana motel. i herad that Jerry Starret managed it but then somebody else said he didnt. im trying to find out forsure who managed it.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:57 PM

The naysayers do not live anywhere remotely near Havana. I do.

There is a new school superintendent that is doing an excellent job. A new waterpark, new hotel and convention center was started before the economy tanked. It is on hold. 12,000 acres of reclaimed wetlands is now open. Havana is a safe town. The kids walk around town at night all summer and are perfectly safe. There is a hospital with life flight, local doctors, and visiting doctors, 2 grocers, 2 hardware stores, 2 variety stores, auto and farm dealers, 4 national and 6 local restaurants, 4 hot food deli, 2 pizza, seasonal ice cream parlor, car wash, 3 auto repair, auto parts, lumber company, barber, beauty shops and spa, 2 florists, river front park with boat launch, children's stuff, picnic tables, RV Parking and pump-out, and primitive camping, 2 motels, 2 pharmacies, jeweler, book store, 2 furniture & carpet, carpet cleaning service, appliance store and repair, library, liquor store, 4 gas stations - 1 accommodates big rigs, 2 realtors, movie rental, swimming pool, bowling alley with summer and winter leagues, golf, junior college, senior center, nursing service and nursing home, vet, VFW, Catholic, Baptist and Christian Churches of various denominations, movie theater, lawn mower and small lawn tool repair, glass replacement, tree service, pest control, lawyers, newspaper, ect.

The privately owned marina is seasonal. It can accommodate up to a 50' power boat, and sailors if the channel is deep enough.

Mason County is primarily black sand with little rock, no clay or hardpan. It is a great growing medium as it is easy to plant. Sand is not a big issue if you know how to deal with it.

Havana has good city services including the twice-weekly spray for mosquitoes and other pests. Ticks, spiders and wasps are not a big issue in town - neither are mice. If live in the city you don't have to drive 20 miles to a hospital like you do around Springfield and Peoria.

Within 10 miles you will find a pottery, winery, state camping area, fish hatchery, RV park, state museum, fishing, hunting, duck blinds, apple orchard, fruit and vegetable stands, ect. The kind of stuff you find on Illinois roads.

The year starts with the Eagle Watch weekend and ends with Christmas home display. There is also BASS tourney, boat races, car show, small festivals, the largest fish fry in the world, Redneck Fishing Tourney - filmed by ESPN - Oktoberfest and parade, free Thanksgiving dinner and more. The hearby big events include Spoon River Drive the first 2 weekends in October, Marigold Festival and medallion hunt, Pumpkin Festival, and one of the largest night time Christmas parades and displays in America.

Springfield puts on a First Night town party starting Christmas Eve.

Havana is in between three zoos, river cruises, maple syrup farm, the largest park district outside of Chicago, rock climbing wall, planetarium, amphitheater, museums, civic centers, performing arts, wild animal park, botanical gardens, dinner theater, ice and roller skating, uptown shopping and dining, regional state fair, national acts, professional sports and semi=professional sports.

Havana, Dunlap, Chillicothe, Peoria, Bloomington, Springfield, Champaign and every town in the state is surrounded by farms and ranches. Illinois is a farming state. You can live in mega-metro like Chicago, a medium size town like Peoria and Springfield, a small town with city services like Havana, or a small town with no hospital or city services.

Havana kids are respectful to adults. The marching bands are pretty good for a small city. I think the school system is as good as the city and the parents that support it. Children who do not get support at home or at school from their parents have been abandoned. The school events in Havana are well attended by one or both parents and the school is supported by the city.

Havana. Peoria, Pekin, Canton, Eureka. Bloomington, Normal and Springfield are where the area hospitals are located. Peoria has a new children's hospital with 85 pediatricians on staff. I don't care where you live in the United States you will find pro and con in every town.

Havana is not the worst place in the world to live and raise a family. I've been coming here for 30 years and I've seen the positive changes. And I've lived here twice. If you do not live in Illinois you will get sticker shock with your first tax bill.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:13 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
Havana is located deep in Mason County alongside the river. I have never really stopped to really the explore the town, but I can tell you that you would better off not looking into the area. Many parts are run down, and is known by many people to be very hick. The school system is terrible, and the town has nothing to do. It is almost a hour and a half from Peoria, and slightly farther from Springfield. If you are into a "backwoods" kind of life that offers nothing in terms of cultural attractions then Havana is for you. There is a marine type of facility in town due to its location to the river.
I drove through Havana going to and from Quincy with a broadcast engineer buddy of mine since I wanted to see the town and the infamous "WDUK" along with listening to WDUK (since you have to be within about 10 miles to get a good signal!)

Hick? Maybe. Run down? No more then any small, rural town.

From what I could gather about the town from my friend, the people there are friendly and very loyal to the people, places and thinks in town. There's enough shops there that would keep you stocked up unless you needed something out of the ordinary.

I got the sense that it would be a town I'd live in, but then again, Im single, no kids, no significant other and just a dog....

Old 10-18-2009, 10:34 AM

Hillcrest is individual owned. Sales are generally by word of mouth, but rentals are usually a sign in a window or yard; sometimes the newspaper. There are several other small areas near Havana that similar to Hillcrest. If you are interested contact me directly.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:10 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You are way off.
Dunlap (village) has had 2 gas stations for years. You obviously confuse Dunlap School District with the Village of Dunlap and the Lake of the Woods area and other surrounding areas which means you really don't know squat. Dunlap School District extends Southward clear into the NW side of the City of Peoria, more than seven miles from the actual village of Dunlap,and only 1.5 miles from Peoria School District 150's Richwoods High School.
Dunlap School District 323 is ranked among the top 10 school districts in the state (Havana may be closer to the bottom?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois