Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,659 times

Advertisements

Okay so heres my issue. I am on depression meds and I am scheduled for boot camp. i am taking half of i think 10 mg doage of escitalopram
and half of maybe 2 or 4 mg of fanapt. I am scheduled for boot camp for may 20. i am going to ask my psychiatrist
if i can go off my meds and go to boot camp. Is that a wise decision especially since my dosage is not significant? I am seeing
my psychiatrist on may 1st and I asked a recruiter about depression meds and he said the military usually doesnt allow people
to take meds at boot camp and they would have to be off of it for a year and they would disqualifiy but im welcome to come
back after a year but he said i should ask my recruiter who may state i may have a different case. I do not want
to ask my recruiter because she would freak out since I have not told her about this since my day of enlistment since
she said i should hide anything im taking from military people but now that boot camp is nearing I feel a little worried
that I may get panick attacks while there especially since i get them in real life. I do not know how boot camp is like
so i honestly dont know how it would be without my meds and with panic attacks and military has so many benefits
i cannot get in real life such as free housing, they will pay for my mba if state funded and they will help me
with naturaliztion for free since I am permanent resident. I do not know what to do and I am up against a wall. mom is pushing me to do
this. she thinks boot camp is a holiday i tried explaining its not really much of an adventure but she still doesnt get it
thinks is exciting and fun and break from my usual routine. she doesnt get ill be roughing it up and doing things
that are completely out of my comfort zone and things i have never done such as camping during beast week and climbing high walls and
doing moneky bars and just waking up at 4:30 and other tough stuff. What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Your mother is a dreamer. It is a three year obligation.

Military boot camp is 8 brutal weeks of hard physical labor that include long marches in full battle gear (50 pounds), live fire range, climbing ropes, monkey bars, running, jumping off platforms, plus assigned detail, and passing daily inspections. Your unit sargent is not your friend or your nanny; he is your 24/7 diaper. His job is to make men out of boys. You can expect to be yelled at for the next 8 weeks.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,659 times
Yes but is it like that for air force reserves by tough do you mean too tough for the average person? Is it something that a fragile person like me cannot take?

Old 04-28-2014, 03:00 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Best come clean with your recruiter ASAP. Better for the Air Force to find out you lied now than when you have a mental breakdown in the middle of boot camp. The primary objective of bootcamp is to see if you can cope with stress. Teaching you basic military skills is almost secondary. If you can't cope with "civilian life" without meds, you're chances of getting through boot camp without them are pretty slim. And FWIW, boot camp is the same for Reserves as active duty.

Under no circumstances should you try to sneak meds into boot camp.

Last edited by madpaddy; 04-28-2014 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 04:04 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
AF boot is 8-1/2 weeks of standard basic training followed by job training. You will be gone for five- six months. The balance of your service is served as 2 on-duty days every month for the following 5-1/2 years. Your first hitch in the AF Reserves is SIX YEARS or 72 months.

Your pay during boot camp and job training is a little over $1000 per month plus barracks and meals. When you begin your reserve duty your pay drops to about $100 per diem. Reservists do not receive housing allowance. However you will have access to the base commissary aka PX, and you will be given money to continue your education if you chose to do so. Do remember, in time of war, you can be called up for active duty at any time and for any length of time necessary. A tour of duty can be 18 months. Are you prepared to leave home and not return for 1-1/2 years?

Be warned. Your history from birth to the present will be fully investigated. It includes all medical, school, driving, and police records, plus citizenship status. By the way you will have a complete physical and blood tests. If you had any drugs in the 60 days before the physical it will show up. Fess up before they do the blood draw and urine sample.

If this is something YOU want more than anything ... throw away the pills and grow a pair. Otherwise I fear the odds are not-very favorable judging by your own comments.

Before replying I talked to the Air Force Reserve Command at Robinson, GA.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:27 PM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
They take a urine test when you get there and they will do it a few times during boot camp. When I was in boot camp about 2 girls out of 60 were kicked out in the first week due to pregnancy, I'm sure they'll also do drug testing.

I can't believe you made it through MEPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: