Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:40 AM

53 posts, read 226,434 times

Advertisements

i came across a site that says theres no law to register as a homeschooler. is this true? what are the legal aspects that i need to be considering while im thinking of homeschooling my children?
i have the resources for the extracirricular activities as well as the socializing aspect, but i would like a sturdy list of information to weigh my pros and cons of the matter.
should the children stay in a school they dont care for? should we continue to fight the school for special needs services they cannot provide? should i continue to have conferences that leave everyone frustrated? we would rather not....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 11:08 AM

356 posts, read 542,601 times
check out this site
Illinois Homeschooling - A to Z Home's Cool

and this one
ALL the Illinois Homeschooling Laws

Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 AM

25 posts, read 409,156 times
Default homeschooling

I posted mine in the education forum! Check it out!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:58 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
Also, just regarding the special needs aspect, please go to this link and find out what your rights are to get your children the appropriate services

Parent Rights - Special Education

Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM

338 posts, read 617,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
Good sites, John. Also check out local homeschooling groups. See the following:

www.northsideunchoolers.org (broken link)
Home School Help and Advice Center
ICHE.org (Christian site,tho everyone is welcome Can refer you to local Christian homeschool support groups in your area )

A good thread that I subscribe to is homeschool-Illinois@yahoogroups.com
There are also groups for "special needs" Children as well. Good luck!

Last edited by bungalowdweller; 12-03-2007 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: incorrect url

Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 AM

20 posts, read 61,260 times
look into homeschool legal defense. they will guide you on the legal aspects and how to get started. my husband and i homeschooled in illinois and are currently homeschooling in florida. all it usually takes is a courtesy letter of intent to homeschool to the school district, the laws may of changed in illinois; that is where homeschool legal defense comes in with the answers. google it, you will be glad you checked it out.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:37 PM

338 posts, read 617,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsy615 View Post
look into homeschool legal defense. they will guide you on the legal aspects and how to get started. my husband and i homeschooled in illinois and are currently homeschooling in florida. all it usually takes is a courtesy letter of intent to homeschool to the school district, the laws may of changed in illinois; that is where homeschool legal defense comes in with the answers. google it, you will be glad you checked it out.
www.hslda.org

Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 AM

498 posts, read 1,520,128 times
Default Right here with ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by alymaibra View Post
i came across a site that says theres no law to register as a homeschooler. is this true? what are the legal aspects that i need to be considering while im thinking of homeschooling my children?
i have the resources for the extracirricular activities as well as the socializing aspect, but i would like a sturdy list of information to weigh my pros and cons of the matter.
should the children stay in a school they dont care for? should we continue to fight the school for special needs services they cannot provide? should i continue to have conferences that leave everyone frustrated? we would rather not....
Yep. I also posted in the EDUCATION forum. But you are getting some really good response. I appreciate it because I too am new to this, but have to go through it. So thank you everybody for the good info.. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-06-2007, 07:37 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alymaibra View Post
I maybe late on this but .. Our state does have mental health consultants ..this sounds like a dirty word to parents.. but if you are going up against a school district and they are not following through you do have laws and there are people out here that can help you locate a advocate to help you out.

You mentioned special needs - would it be truly beneficial for the child to have home schooling - what can be your out reach areas and how? - without knowing more .. I am not sure what the childs needs are - speech, pt, ot etc?

I hope all works out for ya! If you need help getting in touch with an advocate please contact me.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:44 PM

53 posts, read 226,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
I maybe late on this but .. Our state does have mental health consultants ..this sounds like a dirty word to parents.. but if you are going up against a school district and they are not following through you do have laws and there are people out here that can help you locate a advocate to help you out.

You mentioned special needs - would it be truly beneficial for the child to have home schooling - what can be your out reach areas and how? - without knowing more .. I am not sure what the childs needs are - speech, pt, ot etc?

I hope all works out for ya! If you need help getting in touch with an advocate please contact me.

our childs special needs at the time includes speech therapy as well as extra studies in language arts. the IEP pretty much states help in these two areas due to ADHD diagnosis. we have been working on techniques to control his urges to be sporatic when inappropriate. they seem to be doing well. it has also helped changing his meds from a stimulant to a non stimulant so he can still calm down and pay attention but still be functional with the everyday life. i would feel confident enough to say that his diagnosis should be changed from ADHD to ADD. there are more issues of paying attention as opposed to hyperactivity. so our focusing techniques are mainly on trying to stay on task and not get distracted. it helps the student when theyre asked to think about what helps remain calm. in our expience, what seems to help is maintaining a quieter environment (which does not happen at school), getting more one-on-one study time (which also doesnt happen at school). with a more friendly environment like this, i notice the difference on the quieter one on one days in comparison with the hectic days when we have other things going on and theres not time for quiet and one on one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois