Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 01:42 AM

14 posts, read 16,842 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Myself and my fiance will be moving from California to Rochelle, IL.
We are looking for affordable apartments $500-700 MAX. Ideally, we would like a house, but we're not sure that's possible on our budget. We've looked on craigslist, but are hoping to get an insiders opinion on what specific building to check out that may not list on craigslist.

We like vintage buildings most, hard wood floors, built-ins, that type of thing. We are not picky about the neighborhood.

We have little experience driving in the snow and will be driving a smaller car until be find another vehicle. Does that make it impossible to commute from surrounding cities? For example, Oregon looks nice, but would it be too far? What about rockford?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default New job ?

I doubt that you can rent an actual house even in a fringe part of the region for $500/mo unless it is in poor condition. The expansion of the railcar plant and some data centers has created a bit of "boom" and nicer places are no longer cheap.

I would also caution that there is still a fairly sizable large population of migrant agricultural workers and while they are mostly peaceable folks if the area you move into goes from teaming to deserted with the seasonal work shifts that is not a pleasant environment.

Rockford is too far and Orgeon is bordline, from a weather perspective you want to be east of Rochelle not north / west...

Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM

14 posts, read 16,831 times
You can get a house in that price range over there. I know since my husband lived out that way a while ago. I will give you some links to check out

Try Lida Lake Estates in Rochelle
Rochelle Property Management www.rochellerealtymgt.com
White Oak Apartments www.whiteoakapartments.net

www.rochellenews-leader.com/ Rochelle, IL newspaper

I hope this helps

Jennifer

Old 06-07-2014, 07:45 PM

14 posts, read 16,842 times
Thank you both very much for your replies. It looks like the newspaper is a good way to find a place outside of Craigslist, thanks for that Jennifer!

So, commuting from rockford is not a good idea and oregon is maybe doable?

Where I live now, utility bills are most high in the summer - temps peak at 100-116. In the winter, we don't use the heat. So, what I'm wondering is, what is the average cost for heat there in the winter, say for a 2 bedroom apt? I am trying to factor that into our rental budget and I noticed some places offer free heat. Is that the way to go?

Also, do you use the air conditioner in the summer, or is it not necessary in rochelle?

Are people friendly in Rochelle? People here are not very friendly, especially in the town I live in. I'm a nice person and I'm hoping to meet nice people in Rochelle

Old 06-09-2014, 06:45 AM

14 posts, read 16,831 times
You can commute from Rochelle to Rockford. Just shoot up I-39
Rochelle is a small town, its different than Chicago, people talk and you should not have a hard time
Yes we use central air in Illinois
Heat about 60-80 dollars

Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Rockford to Rochelle is 5-6 hours -> very similar as Chicago to ESL. You'll have 8 hours every day to eat, shower and sleep before you get up and do it again.

Illnois residents do use heat and air conditioning. The actual cost is determined by several factors notwithstanding insulation, type of window, age of building, the desired level of coolness, and the age and type of the unit doing the cooling or heating. I am blessed with a house that has a motel-type heat/air unit in a sunroom, and central heat/air in the house. .

The Electric bill is not pinned entirely to heat/air consumption. Lights, PC, telephone, printer, fridge and freezer, clocks, radio, television, de/humifier, washer/dryer, food processors, bread makers. etc.. all require electricity.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:37 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Rockford to Rochelle is 5-6 hours -> very similar as Chicago to ESL. You'll have 8 hours every day to eat, shower and sleep before you get up and do it again.

Illnois residents do use heat and air conditioning. The actual cost is determined by several factors notwithstanding insulation, type of window, age of building, the desired level of coolness, and the age and type of the unit doing the cooling or heating. I am blessed with a house that has a motel-type heat/air unit in a sunroom, and central heat/air in the house. .

The Electric bill is not pinned entirely to heat/air consumption. Lights, PC, telephone, printer, fridge and freezer, clocks, radio, television, de/humifier, washer/dryer, food processors, bread makers. etc.. all require electricity.
Rochelle, IL is approximately 25 mi south of Rockford.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:39 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Oops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois