Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times

Advertisements

I know what mountains look like between Smokey in TN to CA. I lived in the Ozark Mountain Range in Indian Territory. I was in one of the highest points and wandered around in the mountain bed of the Ozarks North of the Boston Mountains. It doesn't take too much of that reality for man to figure out we're an insignificant players in the natural ebb and flow of life.

There isn't anything quite as nice as to look out over a snow covered field of winter wheat early in the morning and discover a doe with her babies. It is the price farmer pay. Illinois has so many forests and sources for water it is hard to keep foraging animals out of fields.

I never had a particular desire to visit the mountain states, the pacific northwest, or the northeast. Otherwise I did a fair amount of traveling in North America. It is an interesting part of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

I never had a particular desire to visit the mountain states, the pacific northwest, or the northeast. Otherwise I did a fair amount of traveling in North America. It is an interesting part of the world.
That's too bad, it is, without a doubt, the most impressively scenic region.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 PM

During one of my forays I discovered I am quite allergic to mountain pine and some desert plants. There is a back road in the Boston Mountains where the curves are marked 6mph, and you can look deep and find tree tops. On a clear day you see forever. It is particularly interesting in the spring when the dogwoods bloom. It's as white as snow with a few scattered patches of pink.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder from white sands and massive bat exit from caves at sundown to great bodies of water, to the wolf, and elk, and bear, to great architectural achievements, to the song of the night bird, and the stars at night. If you are looking for it you can find it. Sometimes the small surprises are the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
That's too bad, it is, without a doubt, the most impressively scenic region.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:51 AM

147 posts, read 228,890 times
Illinoisans tire of mowing their lawns and shoveling snow and trade it all for rock gardens and Saharan summers. Not having to lay in a box to get a tan year-round is another plus. The cost of living is comparable as well.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:26 AM

15 posts, read 42,298 times
May be the climate it is so different to each other..

Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 AM

The weather and geography of the desert southwest is very different than Chicago. When one leaves Chicago for the desert, there is more than traffic, four seasons, crime, high COL and 30 hours left behind.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 11,074 times
just chuckle cubssoxfan

Last edited by thesunisstrying2killme; 07-04-2013 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 AM

562 posts, read 988,589 times
Fwiw, I'm not interested in moving to the Southwest. I've spent time there and its enjoyable in the short term but I have too many complaints about areas like metro Phoenix. That said, I generally really like the West and especially the Pacific Northwest. I'd move there first and then secondly, somewhere else in the Midwest out of Illinois long before I'd move to the Southwest.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Fwiw, I'm not interested in moving to the Southwest. I've spent time there and its enjoyable in the short term but I have too many complaints about areas like metro Phoenix. That said, I generally really like the West and especially the Pacific Northwest. I'd move there first and then secondly, somewhere else in the Midwest out of Illinois long before I'd move to the Southwest.
Me too, I find the SW repulsive.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:10 PM

If I was forced to live in the desert southwest my first choice would be Palm Springs followed by New Mexico. Winslow was the only thing I ever liked about Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois