Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 AM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 456,600 times

Advertisements

im looking at moving thier to get a Ba degree in criminal justice how is the area im from iowa... just wondeirng bout crime nad cost of living and activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 09:39 AM

10 posts, read 35,952 times
Default Bloomington/Normal

There is no crime! I grew up there, went to ISU and my brother and folks still live there. Its a great college town. JoeW

Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
I wouldn't say there is no crime.. The liquor store where I worked had a shooting on one of my off nights and a guy was killed and another stabbed right in the store! (Red Fox Foods 918 W. Market) Also a guy was killed on the south end of town near where I lived at the Main St. Convienent Store, not to mention a guy was involved in a hate crime at ISU and was nearly killed while I was in college there. So there is crime, but don't expect Chicago amounts of crime by any means.

If you are looking for a high crime area though in B/N, then check out the area from Main Street west to I-55 and from Emerson south to about Washington St. That area is God awful now. (very run down, lots of drugs, some shootings, plenty of domestic abuse, etc) Sounds wonderful doesn't it? The rest of the city though is great and has hardly any crime other than for some shop lifting at Eastland or College Hills Malls and then of course the regular DUI's on Friday and Sat. nights in Normal.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:13 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Yeah. There isn't "no crime" but it's pretty good. While in college, my brother was jumped and severely beaten in Normal...... but he still LOVED Bloomington! It's a great college town.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM

296 posts, read 1,182,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
I wouldn't say there is no crime.. The liquor store where I worked had a shooting on one of my off nights and a guy was killed and another stabbed right in the store! (Red Fox Foods 918 W. Market) .
This brings back memories. My best friend's aunt used to live at the end of Monroe, just down the hill from this Red Fox store (is it still there??). I remember walking up there in the summers looking for a soda and EVERY cooler was loaded with 40 oz. of malt liquor. You would hear gunshots in the neighborhood on many summer nights.

So far as crime in B/N, it exists, but I wouldn't say it's epidemic. I never felt unsafe in those neighborhoods, but then again I was 16 or so, but there is a pocket from say, Market to Oakland to Morris to Madison, if you picture that square, that has most of the traditional gang type crime.

The other thing about B/N is that you do get your typical campus type crimes by having ISU in town, but I used to walk around Normal by myself at all hours and never had any trouble.

Be warned though, like any large college town, you do get huge numbers of drunk kids milling through the neighborhoods around campus from Thursday night to Sunday night, and all the associated problems that come with that.

Still, most neighborhoods in both cities are safe and clean; there are some marginal areas in some of the older neighborhoods around downtown Bloomington, but if you stay out of the heart the westside, you'll be ok.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:02 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfiend View Post
This brings back memories. My best friend's aunt used to live at the end of Monroe, just down the hill from this Red Fox store (is it still there??). I remember walking up there in the summers looking for a soda and EVERY cooler was loaded with 40 oz. of malt liquor. You would hear gunshots in the neighborhood on many summer nights.

So far as crime in B/N, it exists, but I wouldn't say it's epidemic. I never felt unsafe in those neighborhoods, but then again I was 16 or so, but there is a pocket from say, Market to Oakland to Morris to Madison, if you picture that square, that has most of the traditional gang type crime.

The other thing about B/N is that you do get your typical campus type crimes by having ISU in town, but I used to walk around Normal by myself at all hours and never had any trouble.

Be warned though, like any large college town, you do get huge numbers of drunk kids milling through the neighborhoods around campus from Thursday night to Sunday night, and all the associated problems that come with that.

Still, most neighborhoods in both cities are safe and clean; there are some marginal areas in some of the older neighborhoods around downtown Bloomington, but if you stay out of the heart the westside, you'll be ok.
After the shooting occured where people were actually killed, the city shut the store down. Today it still stands, but no longer holds a liquor license and is called "Pops"

I no longer live down there, but am in constant contact with people who are still in the area and have heard on numerous occasions that in many cases the area actually seems to be getting worse as hords of those people (gang bangers) are flooding down there from areas like Cabrini and the Robert Taylor Homes as they are being knocked down.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
NYrules--I have heard the same thing about 'gangbangers' moving down to B-N in recent years. We moved away in 98 and friends have reported that crime has increased, but only in certain areas like others have noted.

B-N isn't very exciting, but it was an ok place to live. We went to a hockey game when we visited in November and there is a lot more shopping there now than when we lived there. All in all its a good place to be while you're in school and Chicago is only 2 hours away. My husband and I used to do day trips to Chicago on the weekend--its nice to have that opportunity if you want it. I don't think its that much different from IA (I used to live in Ottumwa a long time ago). Still lots of corn fields. :-)

Old 12-18-2007, 01:12 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,476 times
Oh man, I spent four glorious college years in Blormal. It was fun at the time, not really an exciting city, but I have some great memories. Whether it be partying at Rocky's or Shanigans (RIP!) or downtown Bloomington..oh man, to be 21 again!

Old 12-18-2007, 02:23 PM

269 posts, read 1,100,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
im looking at moving thier to get a Ba degree in criminal justice how is the area im from iowa... just wondeirng bout crime nad cost of living and activities?
Bloomington/Normal has really turned into a great city with good schools, high wages, good economy, tons of things do, and yes, is still very safe. When you enter into the city by way of a western route other than I-74, you will notice a side of town that isn't too pleasent. This is where the larger pockets of crime are located. But since this is a small part of the city it really can't speak for the whole. Like any big college town it has the typical frat party areas that can cause some issues, but the population explosion that has found Bloomington and Normal is not located near this. I would really look at both cities websites to get an accurate descrption of the town since it would take me to long to mention everything. I would say that although neither Bloomginton or Normal is perfect, overall they are great cities that are growing in the right direction and continue to be very popular. About twenty years ago, both State Farm and Mitsubishi expanded and brought in massive growth. But since then neither city has stopped growing despite the fact that both heavy hitters are not hiring as much as they were ten years ago. I think someone would find it very hard not to enjoy living in either city.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Downtown Bloomington or Normal don't have the growth you see in Champaign, or the base that Peoria does. If you like chain restaurants and big box stores, though, it will satisfy your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois