Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 07:03 PM

110 posts, read 161,398 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Anyone live or has lived in Decatur, Il that knows anything about this property (Chamber Mansion)? I see its up for sale while huge looks very cool located in the square next to the Staley Mansion. I'm not from the area but visit from time to time. Would be nice to own this but the cost to refurb would be somewhat large and would be unoccupied most of the time.

Decatur, Il - Chambers-England Mansion-1decatur_il.jpg

MCNE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Yes. Unoccupied is very hard on buildings without heat or air year round. It is a gorgeous building. If it is decent inside you might get lucky. If not you might spend 100K to rehab it. Maybe. One thing for sure, I would not even entertain it without a serious house inspection.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:48 AM

Appreciate the reply. I haven't been inside but others have and stated it's not in horrible shape but does need some work. I know some might skip inspections especially those that pay cash for homes, but an inspection is almost mandatory when financing. I even have used cars inspected so a home is a no brainer for me as well.

The other thing is I've read this home is north of 7,000 square feet

Old 07-13-2014, 11:55 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Probably. My aunt had a 3 story English Tudor with 116 windows, a basement, a three car garage, two porches, a 12 seat dining room/10' built-in buffet, library/den with fireplace and hand hammered copper hood that matched the vent hood in the eat-in kitchen, and butler's pantry, plus a 1/2 bath on the first floor. The second floor had a master bedroom with L shaped walk-through closet, full bath, and sitting room, plus 3 bd/1 bath, and a third porch. The third floor had the 3 room guest suite with a full bath. It also had two stair cases. One was in the entry hall, and the other in the pantry. The entry room was 15'x20'; the living room about 50'x 30'. The basement had a work shop, laundry room and a boiler room for the hot water furnace that heated all three floors. What it did not have is air conditioning. I was there every summer for 16 years. It was a BIG house.

I expect you will find something similar. If it does not cost say over $25k to do ______, it might be worth the investment to consider a seasonal bed and breakfast and promote it. Central Illinois has many interesting things to do and see for history buffs, kids, flower and garden lovers, parks, water sports, museums, wildlife, birding, and more all year that is never promoted by the state tourism offices.

I think there is potential as it is a historic building - especially if there is land to develop a garden. I know a dentist who fell in love with Japanese gardens and built one near his house on three acres, and filled it with Japanese plants and trees. Today it is one of the top botanical garden destinations in Oklahoma. He also developed three new cultivars, and turned the lap pool at his house into a pond for the Koi fish he raised.

Location, time, and money.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:40 PM

I'm going to take a look. Turns out its 7 beds rooms and 9 baths but the square footage is a little elusive. I would use it with family. No investing or rental but the history is awesome the more I learn.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,869 times
I am an England. This house was home to my great-great grandfather and his family. It is a beautiful house with a great marble kitchen and plenty of room for a family. I hope you buy it and restore it. If you have any questions about the property give me a call. My name is Christy 314-973-7770.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois