Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 11:14 AM

14 posts, read 26,510 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Relocating from Texas to Bloomington with kids in Elementary and Middle school. Looking to rent apartments in Tullamore Avenue for which associated schools are Benjamin and Evans. Can someone have experience with Evans middle school please share how the school is and if they have Gifted and talented and Band programs. Also are there any other best middle schools apart from Evans in area. Appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 01:35 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
What I know is limited. ISU is in Normal. Their UHigh is a university prep high school with a waiting list. Students who live in Normal are considered first, followed by Bloomington students and thence stents from the rest of the state. Most Illinois public schools K-8 provide an good education if the parents are involved. I would say the same about involved parents in any state.

If I want my child to attend UHigh I will apply now. I will hedge my bet and live in Normal. Normal and Bloomington are as closeasthis. Compared to Dallas traffic, for instance, travel time from home an work is nothing as traffic is light. COL in Normal may be a be lower too.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:26 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Not sure those things are accurate at this point in time...

There is qquite a bit of info on the website for University High as well the the elementary laboratory school that ISU runs --

Admissions | Thomas Metcalf School

University High Application

Old 09-03-2014, 03:07 PM

Thank you! Admissions at Thomas Metcalf seems to be completed for this year. My kids being in Gifted & Talented program looking around for schools with this program. Haven't find that program in Unit 5 District. will explore further. Thanks again.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:04 PM

Thomas Metcalf is an ISU lab school. The other gifted school I am aware of is in Peora.
The Washington Gifted School is a public school. The downside is distance. It's about 35 miles from Bloomington. Bloomington-Normal is considered a sister city to Peoria. Residents from both regularly travel to Peoria or B-N to work, shop, and entertainment.

Washington Gifted School / Overview

Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 PM

Thank you! agree, very good school but seems to be far from Bloomington.

Anyone who have experience in Band program in Bloomington Jr. High schools can you please share which schools Band program is good is it Evans or Chiddix?

Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 PM

It is a good 30 minute drive, but it has an awesome band program. The upside is it is all interstate non-stop on I-74. It would be a tough choice for 8 months. .

->The school year started mid-August. The kids need physicals and eye exams; shots must be up to date. You'll need school records, SS, birth certificate, etc. If your child/children have medical issues the school must be notified. Kids can't carry meds or put it lockers. If it is a necessity the doctor has to write it

->Scott's Law: Do NOT pass any stopped emergency vehicle in the lane nearest to it. IT makes no difference if emergency lights are on or off. It makes no difference what the emergency vehicle looks like. Very expensive fine
->NO Butt Law: Don't toss it out the window; keep it in the car!
->School zone law: No talk; no text; no speeding in School Zone when schools are in session.
->Do not text and drive. Do not talk with phone in hand and drive. No talk/text while driving under age 19.
->NEW: 1/1/2015: No Bully law. No bully in school. No cyber bully in or out of school. .
->IL gun laws. FOID card mandatory. http://isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

Welcome to Illinois. Farmer's Almanac predicts a wetter winter.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:58 PM

159 posts, read 200,503 times
I am not sure that linicx has the correct facts about Metcalf and U-High admissions. Call the schools themselves for specifics, but they have quotas for the different areas, both inside and outside of town. So, for example, it can occasionally be easier to get into U-High if you live in LeRoy, for example. U-High has quite a number of students from rural areas. They also have quotas to ensure diversity of their student population.

Both are excellent schools with great opportunities. NCHS always gets good ratings, and has a good AP program, as does Tri-Valley. Personally, I would prefer U-High if it were my kids.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:00 PM

159 posts, read 200,503 times
By the way, Evans and Chiddix are Unit 5 schools. Bloomington JHS is district 87. Many homes have a Bloomington address, but are zoned Unit 5. Keep that in mind as you look at home listings.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:19 AM

Thanks! Called both Washington gifted school and Thomas Metcalf and came to know it is full at this time for 7th graders. Planning to look into these schools for next year and would go with Evans for this year. Thanks again for sharing the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois