Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:15 PM

7,041 posts, read 6,291,056 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Minnesota all my life except for 3 years in SF & 6 months in Marion. 2 brothers live hat way;1 in M Marion & 1 in Nashville. I like the idea of moving close to them. I would like Nashville, but will be on a fixed income & apt cost would take my whole check. Marion housing will only take a 3rd so it's a no brainer to me.
Would like the good & bad of Marion from folks. Thank you.

Last edited by Count David; 09-09-2014 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: all fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Illinoia public housing is income based. I believe it is 25 percent, and some utilities are usually included. If your bro is in Marion you'll be fine. You probably won't miss MN winters.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:55 PM

1st-thank you for the fix-up David.

Linux, I already have an apt building in mind which would be good for me. A friend lives in the complex. It is for seniors and based on your income.

What I'm looking for is a perspective on what is positive & areas to stay away from. Yes, my brother lives there & I did meet some friends through church but they only shared the good things. I'm looking for folks who don't know me & won't sugar-coat reality.

Thank u for your response though. And yes, I'm looking forward to leaving the snow behind.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:59 PM

I have not been in Marion for years. It has a medium security Federal prison. The population is about 40,000. The county seat is Salem. When I was there it was scruffy and thuggish. People change. Towns had to change to survive. Marion has grown. The prison brought stability to the economy which is a good thing. With family and church I cannot imagine why you would not like it.

There is always a risk and a cultural shock when one moves whether it is 20 miles or 2000 miles.The politics and view of life in general will be much different than where you live today. If you and your brother hold similar views you probably won't notice much difference. If you have reservations you might want to spend some time with brother and check out the winter weather. It isn't Florida, but it isn't anything like Chicago weather either.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:05 AM

49 posts, read 31,881 times
Not sure where you're getting your "facts." Marion is the county seat for Williamson county, Salem is some 65 miles away. The population of Marion is nowhere near 40,000, more like 17,000.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:47 AM

My bad. The info came from a DDG search for "Marion, IL county seat" which is allegedly Salem. I know where Lincoln's Salem is, but not where this county seat of Salem is located. I should have known better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Egypt View Post
Not sure where you're getting your "facts." Marion is the county seat for Williamson county, Salem is some 65 miles away. The population of Marion is nowhere near 40,000, more like 17,000.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:13 PM

219 posts, read 377,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've lived in Minnesota all my life except for 3 years in SF & 6 months in Marion. 2 brothers live hat way;1 in M Marion & 1 in Nashville. I like the idea of moving close to them. I would like Nashville, but will be on a fixed income & apt cost would take my whole check. Marion housing will only take a 3rd so it's a no brainer to me.
Would like the good & bad of Marion from folks. Thank you.
What do you want to know? Ask away, and I will tell you the good, bad and the ugly. I'm very familiar...I've lived in the area most of my life....moved away, came back, moved away, came back...I have a love/hate relationship with Southern Illinois.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:28 AM

219 posts, read 377,493 times
I was re-reading some of the responses to your post. Marion is not thuggish, by any means...but Carbondale has areas that are. The federal prison is more towards the Lake of Egypt, off the beaten path. You won't even realize it is here.

For a retired person who rents, all of your needs will be met. You do not have to worry about the ridiculous property taxes, and renters insurance should be reasonable.

For medical..steer clear of the Heartland Regional Hospital. I strongly encourage your ER or outpatient hospital visits to be with one of the SIH affiliates...Herrin Hospital or Memorial Hospital of Carbondale.

Winters here can be treacherous...but I am certain you are used to that, given where you are coming from.

Our economy is depressed, but on the surface, in Marion it is hard to tell. There is a lot of new commercial construction on the Highway 13 corridor.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:37 PM

That's more of what I'm looking for, thanks beachgoer. When I was visiting, I basically saw the one Mexican restaurant they like to go to, helped with quilt making at the church, & helped with the food kitchen once, all activities I enjoyed, but there must be other things to do there.

I don't have a wild life here but do live by a lake, which is nice. But, I am so ready to leave the winters behind. There were times when roads were closed last winter because the snow plows couldn't get to them. I'm talking rural communities, not towns. When you say winters can be treacherous there, what are you referring g to? I did hear some talk about icy roads, which could be dangerous, but aren't there procedures in place for that? Here in Minnesota, if you can't get out of your driveway or can't see the road, it's going to be a snow day. Otherwise you bundle up & go to work or school.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:52 PM

Thanks, beachgoer. That's more of what I'm looking for.

Is there a center for seniors, a place where regular retired folks go? When I was there, I only participated in family outings; church, a restaurant, playing dominoes. What does an average seniors get involved in?

Treacherous winters couldn't possibly get as bad as ours. Last winter was really bad, but it was a bad year for everyone I think.

What is your love/hate relationship with southern Illinois, if u don't mind me asking. My brother won't say anything negative & there is nowhere that is perfect, but I'm not going to hear any bad from him, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois