Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 03:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,042 times

Advertisements

Anyone else feel Chicago is 30 years behind Cali? Fashion, race relations, politics, life style?

Honestly feel took 2 steps backwards moving here.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:42 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
you joined to write this post? ok. Are you back in Cali now?

Old 11-13-2014, 09:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to Cali View Post
Anyone else feel Chicago is 30 years behind Cali? Fashion, race relations, politics, life style?

Ill admit LA is more fashion-oriented, but Chicago is no slouch. Its not like you moved to Topeka, KS.

The politics in Chicago are admittedly amongst the worst in the nation, but hopefully people will wake up from their zombie slumber soon and start voting in the correct people.

Life style? Unless you cant live w/o the ocean, I dont see how lifestyles in Chicago could be boring or uneventful. Its an amazing city, packed to the gills with things to do and places to see. And unlike LA, its more affordable, just as diverse, and has a far better core, with better PT.

Race relations? LA is no better than Chicago. Do you forget the Watts riot? The Rodney King riot? LA is notorious for horrible race relations, sadly. And now you have black and Hispanic street gangs fighting simply over race at times. Pot calling the kettle black again.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,042 times
Point # 1- I never said Chicago was boring Steve-O, I know that there are a million thing to do in the Chi as long as you have some money.

Point 2-I know Chicago is a Democratic city but it's a more conservative democratic city where as Los Angeles is more relaxed (S.F. being to relaxed!). I've been called a f'ing Mexican here (even though I'm not) just on random.

3- Lifestyle, come on dude, the Cali lifestyle is WAY more advanced. Just look at all fit people in Cali, now look at all the WAY over weight people here!

4th-Out door activities. Better park system set up in California just look at San Francisco's Golden Gate park, and that's only 1 park mention.Yeah Chicago has the Lake front (which is awesome) but what after that? The forest preserves are not parks their patches of forest partitioned.

These are just random observations. Chicago is a great city but like I said, but 30 years behind.

P.s. You guys do take the cake on architecture!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Great, so move back to California and don't look back.

Who are you trying to convince anyway? You or us?

Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
ill pass on california, half the state is illegal mexicans... its broke, and everything is uber expensive

Old 11-13-2014, 06:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
ill pass on california, half the state is illegal mexicans... its broke, and everything is uber expensive
California is the best state to live in if you are loaded with money, the weather, the scenery, the women who are very superficial and into guys with money but if you don't have a high paying job its the worst place to live.. its likely you will end up homeless. Moral of the story if you are rich California is the place to live if not the cost of living makes it too difficult for the average Joe but thats just imo.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
#1 Living in Chicago is certainly less expensive than SD, LA, SF, SJ, Napa Valley. Carmel, BH, PS, and some other towns.
#2 The Midwest as a whole is generally more conservative. It's Mom's apple pie and family values.
#3 California advanced? I guess if head shops, surfing, and shopping are kewl it must be. I spent a lot of time in LA and SD. Quite frankly, I found Palm Springs a lot more interesting than either of those costal cities.
#4 Illinois has all kinds of parks. Not all are in Chiccago. Boohoo; so what? Oceanside has some gorgeous parks, but so does Peoria.

The thing about touristy types and the youthful is when they are bored. or they're broke they blame Chicago, San Francisco, Manhattan, London. etc., instead of blaming themselves.

What I know about Chicago is it offers a lot of opportunity to explore and educate yourself on a variety of subjects that are unrelated to politics. I don't think it takes too much money to explore free exhibits or public libraries.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:56 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:

Not at all, Chicago is a beautiful and great all American city. Except for the winter months, its a pretty fun place to live. It's no California and it would be a mistake to compare the two. You just had to let go of all your inhibitions and just enjoy the place for what it is. It is a magnificent place on a spectacular lake front.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:10 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Point # 1- I never said Chicago was boring Steve-O, I know that there are a million thing to do in the Chi as long as you have some money.

Point 2-I know Chicago is a Democratic city but it's a more conservative democratic city where as Los Angeles is more relaxed (S.F. being to relaxed!). I've been called a f'ing Mexican here (even though I'm not) just on random.

3- Lifestyle, come on dude, the Cali lifestyle is WAY more advanced. Just look at all fit people in Cali, now look at all the WAY over weight people here!

4th-Out door activities. Better park system set up in California just look at San Francisco's Golden Gate park, and that's only 1 park mention.Yeah Chicago has the Lake front (which is awesome) but what after that? The forest preserves are not parks their patches of forest partitioned.

These are just random observations. Chicago is a great city but like I said, but 30 years behind.

P.s. You guys do take the cake on architecture!
Thirty years behind is way over-exaggerated in my view. Had you said 5 to 6 years then it might have been believable. But, if a great city like Chicago is 30 years behind then I guess we are pretty back in the stone age here in south Carolina as compared to California. Growing up down south and living in Chicago, we were the one that far behind. I lived in both places by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois