Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkinmama View Post
very disturbing! My husband has been offered a job in Oregon and we are about to move there. We already come from a small town/ruralish area where the very same issues occur. Now, I am worried. It's hard enough as it is to avoid being dragged into things in our community ---though we do tend to avoid it. I hope we aren't going to be ostracized because we're different or "newcomers" when we get to Oregon! I was so looking forward to moving and becoming a part of the community. Now, I'm not so sure.
Oregon is very small, indeed. Its a pretty decent little town with some nice scenery, but Ive never actually lived there. I lived out in the country and would make trips into Oregon and yes, it did feel kind of awkward to me because it was just such a HUGE difference between the people there vs the people in Naperville. With that being said, its a very safe and quaint little town. I recommend hiking the nearby Nachusa Grasslands, Lowden-Miller state forest, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I've driven through Dixon a few times and stopped for lunch one day. I found it to an oridnary small midwestern town. It is what you make of it. Go with the atttitude that you are going to be a part of the community. Don't let the small differences influence you for in time there will be no differences at all. They will adjust to you, and you will adjust to living in a new community.

When I moved to my new community I announced my arrival at the harware store - it is where everyone congrgates. Its also the problem solving center in town. Got a problem" Someone there knows someone who can fix it - you get the name, the number and the family history. When I checked out I simply said to the cashier, "I am here to stay. Get used to it. You will see me alot because this is where I am going to spend my money. I'm remodeling." Now they smile, call me by name and inquire about my family. I've integrated. It took about six months. If I had children in school, or if I went to church (I don't and I can't), the integration would have been much faster. Enjoy your new life in your new home and dont sweat the small stuff.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:46 PM

809 posts, read 2,883,759 times
The only thing I know about Oregon is that there is a retreat place out there called "Stronghold Retreat" that I had to go to for my church. It was the COOOOOLEST thing I experienced when I was in church school! :P It is an old castle built up on top of a cliff overlooking the river and supposedly the original owner hauled in an ACTUAL castle from somewhere in Europe that they then rebuilt. I slept in the tower. The castle has secret passageways and a full thing of armour........ by far one of the coolest things to see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois