Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 AM

19 posts, read 80,620 times

Advertisements

I've heard nothing but good about Peoria and think that you'll find a good property in your budget. Your options for college are not just in the private division. I'm involved with an online Montessori training program to become a Montessori teacher--learning remotely is a great way to become certified in any field. (Check out GuidedStudies.com to see what I'm talking about). Good luck in Peoria!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 02:06 AM

7 posts, read 21,597 times
Thumbs up Suburbs might be good too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegomama View Post
I too am wondering where to live in the Peoria area. I'm a stay-at-home mom with a 3 yr old and a 9 mo old, and my husband will be working in Peoria. I'm reading in these posts that some neighborhoods are good and bad just like in the rest of the country, so I'm hoping for some specifics. We moved from San Diego, CA to Rolla, Mo about a year and a half ago, now we're moving to Peoria next month. A lot of the rental houses in our price range (3 bed house for $800 or less) are in an area that's north-east of the 74, west of Peoria lake, and south of E. War Memorial Dr. Is that area okay or is it a bad neighborhood? If you can't tell me about those areas can you tell me specifically what neighborhoods, streets, or areas to stay away from? Thanks a lot...we're kind of going into this move blindly.
I have moved back and forth between the chicago area and peoria area my whole life. most recently living in Pekin (before moving to carbondale for school) Central Illinois in my opinion is a great place to live and raise children. If you want to look for safe and affordable places to live you might want to check out pekin or bartonville, suburbs of Peoria

Pekin is about 15 minutes away from peoria and has alot to offer. Plenty of shopping, food, and amazing parks that you would be an excellecnt way to spend an afternoon with the family. The grade schools are highly ranked, however the high school is slightly below average. There are hundreds of new homes being built on the north and south sides of pekin that are very nice and affordable (check out Lake whitehurst and Sunset hills). I lived in Pekin for 2 years and i loved it.

Bartonville is a very safe town just outside of peoria. The school system is very good (limestone High School is a very high ranked school) It also provides a wide range of outdoor activites like parks that would be perfect to spend time with the family. I have not spent much time in the actual city of Peoria but i know that it is a great place to spend an eveining. With its concerts, Professional sports, and riverfront activites there is always something to do. Sorry i cant be more helpful with the actual city of Peoria, but hopefully this might be able to help. Best of luck to you and your family during the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois