Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,051 times

Advertisements

An area to consider for apartment rentals is between West Side Park and Prospect Avenue, south of Bradley Avenue, in Champaign. I've lived in a 550 sq ft, 1 bedroom apartment that has cost $550/month. Walking to campus generally took 25 minutes or less if I stopped at the terminal to take a bus.

A bit farther east in Urbana is also acceptable and far enough from campus where noise is likely not an issue.

In terms of utilities, I've payed between $20-$50/month for electricity (when not included in rent). As far as I'm aware, you can find two major internet providers, Comcast and Pavlov. I've heard the latter option is inexpensive (~$20/month), but very unreliable. Comcast is not much better, but acceptable, and usually a bit more expensive. Food is relatively inexpensive. You would likely be able to live comfortably enough on $500-600/month not counting rent.

Finally, it is worth considering how much the rental will cost initially. Generally, landlords require a security deposit equal to one month's rent as well as the final month's rent and sometimes the first as well (or some combination of this). My best experience has been with Smith Apartments, who have only required the first month's rent and a security deposit equal to half a month's rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 10:50 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
$680 for an apartment (Orchard Downs) that includes all utilities may very well be the best option. That said, $1200 a month sounds like a pretty tight budget for a family of 3 to me, even if you find a place to rent for $500. I would be looking for ways to freelance for extra money. We hosted an exchange student who's visa restricted her from working in the US. She supplemented her stipend by writing for websites in her home country. Since the money was paid by a foreign employer into her over-seas bank account, she avoided any visa issues.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Contact HOUSING at UIUC. They have off campus housing for post grad students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois