Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
It should not be repealed. Just ammended. There needs to be non-smoking bars and smoking bars. Let people have a choice and freedom.
Agreed. Designate smoking and non-smoking bars/restaurants, simple as that.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfiend View Post
70%-30% could probably be construed as a vast majority.

If Illinois is only 20% smokers, then how much is the law really hurting business owners anyway?

I hear this argument a lot, but it makes no sense. I seriously doubt all of the 20% will stop going to establishments because they can no longer smoke there.

And even assuming they do, you're probably picking up another 20% of new customers who will come because they can finally breathe.

My inclination is to be opposed to this out-and-out ban on freedom of choice grounds, but as a former smoker who is now allergic, I don't particularly care and have no objection to it.

A higher percentage of people that go to bars are smokers than in the general population. If you add the people that go to bars and "socially smoke" and the non-smokers that do not mind smoke in bars, I am sure a decent majority of people that actually go to bars on a regular basis are against the ban. I am willing with confidence that more than 50% of people that go to bars smoke regularly or socially.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:17 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
And why are you in the Illinois Forum?
Well excuuuuuuuuuusssssssseeee mmmmmmmwwwwwaaa

Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Well excuuuuuuuuuusssssssseeee mmmmmmmwwwwwaaa
It is a valid question.

If you have never had or do not have ties to the area and are not thinking of moving here, I have no idea why you are here.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I stay stick with it. You're not going to please all the people all the time, and a vast majority of people are cool with this law.
Ya I love this law. It has totally helped me quit smoking. I am now smoke free, feeling great, and loving it. Going out with friends on the weekends used to be my weak point always causing me to start back up by smoking OPC's then eventually buying another pack, but now that NOBODY can smoke in a bar or wherever, the other smokers I am out with that night cannot light up either, leading me to not have to deal with the "peer pressure" of seeing everyone else doing it making me want to light up again as well. I say stick with the law. Smokers will learn to adapt just as they have in NYC and CA. This is a great thing for IL.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Ya I love this law. It has totally helped me quit smoking. I am now smoke free, feeling great, and loving it. Going out with friends on the weekends used to be my weak point always causing me to start back up by smoking OPC's then eventually buying another pack, but now that NOBODY can smoke in a bar or wherever, the other smokers I am out with that night cannot light up either, leading me to not have to deal with the "peer pressure" of seeing everyone else doing it making me want to light up again as well. I say stick with the law. Smokers will learn to adapt just as they have in NYC and CA. This is a great thing for IL.
Good for you. How about when they go outside to smoke?That does not tempt you?

No states goal should be to force people to cease a legal behavior that they are getting taxed to Mars for.

If the states want people to quit smoking, let them ban the sale of cigarettes. That will never happen. The smokers are balancing states budgets and cannot even smoke in a bar. What a crock.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Good for you. How about when they go outside to smoke?That does not tempt you?

No states goal should be to force people to cease a legal behavior that they are getting taxed to Mars for.

If the states want people to quit smoking, let them ban the sale of cigarettes. That will never happen. The smokers are balancing states budgets and cannot even smoke in a bar. What a crock.
When it is 15 degrees outside like now, or in the summer when you go outside and get chewed alive by the mosquitos, no it won't entice me to want another cig. And the state is not forcing people to cease a legal behavior, they however are being fair to the some 70% of the populous that does NOT smoke. How fair is that a few smokers in a bar can ruin hundreds of non-smokers nights out just trying to have fun? Nothing is more disgusting than going out to a bar as a non-smoker, getting home later that night and realizing that you wreak of smoke so bad that you have to take a shower the moment you get home and wash your clothes and here's the best part, it's not even your fault other than for going out and trying to have a good evening.

My last experience in dealing with a smoking bar was out in Romeoville at some bar/sports bar place and some IDIOT right near me was smoking some disgusting stogie in there stinking the entire place up. It finally made a number of us nautious so we left after only being there a couple of hours where we otherwise would have stayed. So how fair is that to not only us, but the bar owner? There were 8 of us in all (three of us had to leave because of the smoke causing the entire group to leave) all due to one idiot in there stinking the place up, thus causing the bar owner to lose out on 8 potential customers to serve one cigar smoker? Hmmm I'm no mathmatician, but it would look like the bar owner lost some $$$ that night from us leaving, vs. had he told the guy to stop smoking of which the smoker most likely would have stayed and drank as well as us and the state would have made up for any potential tax $$$ lost on cigarette/cigar taxes made up for with alcohol tax on those $6 drinks we were drinking.

Last edited by NYrules; 01-15-2008 at 07:36 AM..

Old 01-15-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
When it is 15 degrees outside like now, or in the summer when you go outside and get chewed alive by the mosquitos, no it won't entice me to want another cig. And the state is not forcing people to cease a legal behavior, they however are being fair to the some 70% of the populous that does NOT smoke. How fair is that a few smokers in a bar can ruin hundreds of non-smokers nights out just trying to have fun? Nothing is more disgusting than going out to a bar as a non-smoker, getting home later that night and realizing that you wreak of smoke so bad that you have to take a shower the moment you get home and wash your clothes and here's the best part, it's not even your fault other than for going out and trying to have a good evening.

My last experience in dealing with a smoking bar was out in Romeoville at some bar/sports bar place and some IDIOT right near me was smoking some disgusting stogie in there stinking the entire place up. It finally made a number of us nautious so we left after only being there a couple of hours where we otherwise would have stayed. So how fair is that to not only us, but the bar owner? There were 8 of us in all (three of us had to leave because of the smoke causing the entire group to leave) all due to one idiot in there stinking the place up, thus causing the bar owner to lose out on 8 potential customers to serve one cigar smoker? Hmmm I'm no mathmatician, but it would look like the bar owner lost some $$$ that night from us leaving, vs. had he told the guy to stop smoking of which the smoker most likely would have stayed and drank as well as us and the state would have made up for any potential tax $$$ lost on cigarette/cigar taxes made up for with alcohol tax on those $6 drinks we were drinking.
Ok, make 30% of the bars smoking and 70% smoking. Problem solved. but that would have been too easy for our great government.

Even many cigarette smokers dislike cigar smoke. It is much different than cigarette smoke. The cigar issue is completely different...

Old 01-16-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Ok, make 30% of the bars smoking and 70% smoking. Problem solved. but that would have been too easy for our great government.

Even many cigarette smokers dislike cigar smoke. It is much different than cigarette smoke. The cigar issue is completely different...
THATS 70%+30%??? That=100% SMOKING! LOL Problem solved for you smokers right? J/K

Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I like that math!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois