Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 01:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesprawlpath View Post
That's the whole point.You don't need government sticking thier nose in it.Businesses can make that decision all by themselves.So can every adult American.
And how quickly people forget that the more you fashion government into a weapon to aim at certain groups, the more likely that that weapon will eventually be aimed back at you.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:27 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Work places are building smoking shelters now.At thier cost.Smokers walk off the job when they need a smoke,to go outside.Figure 5 minutes a cigarette,maybe 10 a day at work(conservative).That's 50 minutes to an hour a day scewing off outside.In a large plant multiply that by hundreds of employees.That's going to cost businesses a ton.When are non-smokers going to insist that they get shelters too and 50 minutes outside to just hang out while the smokers get thier fix.We are turning into a nation of whining panzies.Government,Butt out! Everybody else, shut up and get back to work!If you don't like your job,find another one.If you don't like the bar or restaurant,find another one.The only smoking ban that should be in effect is for public places that you don't have a choice to be there or not.Post Offices,Hospitals,Airports,Bus Stations,etc... .Anywhere else is just to satisfy whiners. I am a non-smoker.Light up guys,It's OK by me.
Hey, I'd like that! 50 min to make appointments, call my kids, etc, all the stuff I have to cram in between patients. Yeah!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:27 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In Az, companies can refuse to hire someone who smokes.

This right has been litigated and affirmed by the Arizona Courts
Well I hope it goes to the Supreme Court of the U.S.A. and gets thrown out. Because if it did, it would be overturned.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,131,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well I hope it goes to the Supreme Court of the U.S.A. and gets thrown out. Because if it did, it would be overturned.
Sorry. The litigation is over.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:15 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sorry. The litigation is over.
I am sure someone else will take it up. Sorry.

Why are you in this forum anyway? You troll the boards to exude your non-smoking nazi beliefs do you not? Please leave this forum alone and post in forums that you have an actual connection to.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:06 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,852,866 times
Quote:
I am sure someone else will take it up. Sorry.

Why are you in this forum anyway? You troll the boards to exude your non-smoking nazi beliefs do you not? Please leave this forum alone and post in forums that you have an actual connection to.
Someone could always go for the John Banzhaf approach. He was the first lawyer to successfully sue a tobacco company and he has been a thorn in the side of tobacco companies, smokers, and everyone else around the reptile.

He takes up lawsuits from his pet cause and keeps filing lawsuit after lawsuit in hopes of getting a sympathetic judge or jury to set precedent. Hopefully there is a lawyer on our side who is the Anti-Banzhaf.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 PM

52 posts, read 189,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Hey, I'd like that! 50 min to make appointments, call my kids, etc, all the stuff I have to cram in between patients. Yeah!
Me too. Where's my shelter!(and sunscreen) Thanks smokers.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:06 PM

551 posts, read 3,113,104 times
Quote:
Me too. Where's my shelter!(and sunscreen) Thanks smokers.
Good point...all that smoking time adds up! At 50 minutes/day, that's roughly 20 HOURS a month less than non-smokers work! Can't blame employers for not wanting to hire them...that always irritated me at jobs. I felt like when smokers went outside for a 10 minute break, I should be able to take 10 minutes and go do something too...

Old 01-20-2008, 10:24 PM

287 posts, read 346,995 times
Quote:
If you are talking about banning an employee from smoking in his or her personal time, those companies are in for some nice lawsuits then. There is a specific law that deems an action like that illegal in Illinois.

Except for lunch and breaks.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:26 PM

287 posts, read 346,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris63 View Post
That's part of the problem. Selfishness. People don't give a d*mn, if the law is right or wrong, just as long as they come out on top.

It's that all about "me" attitude that really tics me off!

But people should be allowed to blow smoke in my face while enjoying a meal at a restaurant? Yeah, that's not selfish at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois