Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2006, 09:14 PM

8 posts, read 38,680 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the Sterling/Rock Falls/Dixon area? Crime? Good Neighborhoods?

We may be moving and I need your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,597 times
Smile hopefully this will help

i really felt compelled to comment after reading the other posts that were givin for your question. i feel i can give you an honest opinion on the sterling/rock falls area. i have lived here all most all of my 28 years (for 3 months i lived in WA). whether or not you and your family will like living here will depend on a few things- do you like living in big, fast paced cities or do you enjoy the slower moving, relaxed town? i for one love these two towns. when i want something more, i just go visit one of the bigger cities that are not to far from here(chicago is about 2 hours, quad cities is 45 min and rockford is about 55 min). crime is not that bad around here. every town has it and no one wants it, but compared to bigger cities and even the smaller towns, there really isn't that much that happens. to give you a clue, when anything big happens(a murder or big burgurly) it is in the newspaper by morning. i will admit, the job situation hasn't been that good since our steel mill closed down, but our two cities working together have been bringing more and more jobs. we just got a walmart distribution center along with some other factory's. our schools are not the best. to that i will admit. but i also think that has to do with the parents, as to how far their child will go. i liked almost ever teacher i had growing up here and i still go and visit some of them. this is the lasting impression that children get here. this is a community that comes together and sticks together when people need help. our local hotels work with the red cross when families lose everthing in fires. after you've been here a while, even some of the people at the supercenter will know your name and all about your family(from you telling, if you'd like). our hospital is becoming very modern, with cutting edge technology. i left these two towns with my husband and one year old son to move to washington state in 1998 and i missed it so much that i moved back within three months. if there is anything else you would like to know..just ask and i will be happy to tell(if i have the answer )

Old 12-27-2006, 02:50 PM

8 posts, read 38,680 times
Thank you so much for your opinion. We do like the small town feel better than large cities so it sounds like this area might work just fine!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:54 PM

10 posts, read 58,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRedmon View Post
Can anyone tell me about the Sterling/Rock Falls/Dixon area? Crime? Good Neighborhoods?

We may be moving and I need your help!
It depends on were your moving to. See, Dixon has a very low crime rate and good neighborhoods, Sterling has a little above average crime rate but on the north side there are alot of nice houses and manshions. Rock Falls' crime rate is just like sterling's and so arte the neighborhoods.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:58 AM

5 posts, read 38,093 times
We are currently living in the western burbs of CHicago and considering moving to WA. What exactly did you miss about Illinois, if you don't mind my asking. I know I love the people in CHicagoland who seem to be very friendly. It doesn't matter where you come from, if you want to fit in, you have to be nice, never arrogant.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,374 times
I've just got done reading all this and it's making me sick. My Lord, stop already. Sounds like the guys that don't like the Dixon/Sterling area really DON'T LIKE IT. It's too bad. I, too, with my husband, are looking to retire to that area. We've been out there many times looking for real estate and just love the area. Grand it, we don't physically live there yet. There are wonderful parks and the areas we've been looking in for houses, are really nice. People stop and say "hello" and waved to us...they don't even know us. I live in the Schaumburg area and can't wait to get out. Also considering Oregon which I read is nothing but a drinking and druggie town. Oh, pleeeeeeeease.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
I've just got done reading all this and it's making me sick. My Lord, stop already. Sounds like the guys that don't like the Dixon/Sterling area really DON'T LIKE IT. It's too bad. I, too, with my husband, are looking to retire to that area. We've been out there many times looking for real estate and just love the area. Grand it, we don't physically live there yet. There are wonderful parks and the areas we've been looking in for houses, are really nice. People stop and say "hello" and waved to us...they don't even know us. I live in the Schaumburg area and can't wait to get out. Also considering Oregon which I read is nothing but a drinking and druggie town. Oh, pleeeeeeeease.
Id pick Oregon over the other 3 any day. Im sure there is a small drug problem, but what else do you expect in a small country town with not much to do? The scenerio is the same across the country, sadly. Oregon is very lovely in spots, nice scenery too.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 45,316 times
I love it in dixon/ sterling! My dad and his girlfriend have a nice little place on the rock river for the summer and weekends. I love the pace of life down there, the friendly people, everything is wonderful IMO. Yes it is far away from Chicago, but Chicago isn't everything. Real estate is fairly inexpensive especially for water front property. There is a part of the river that is so wide it looks like a lake and the most expensive we have ever seen a home listed for was 300,000 that isn't a lot when you have a big home, huge lot, and the water right in front of your eyes. I hope to move there when the time is right!

Old 07-31-2007, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 10,677 times
Default Moving to Dixon

Hey everyone, I am moving to Dixon soon for a new job in Rock Falls...I am single and 40 years....any cute single ladies out there? Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois