Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,128 times

Advertisements

Decatur is a nice place to retire but I wouldn't recommend it for a younger family or single adult. There is absolutely NOTHING to do in the way of fun and excitement or night life. A few local bars but that is all. We have a pool in Fairview park that is overrun by young (usually disrespectful) teenagers. Scovill zoo doesn't offer much more than reptiles, birds and a few monkeys. The lake is not clean enough to swim in either. The mall (if that's what you want to call it) is an absolute joke. Rue 21, Maurices, Kohls, Bergners, Finish Line, Hobby Lobby, Foot Locker, Von Maur.....that's about it. No other places to shop so me and my friends usually drive to Champaign or Springfield about 40 minutes away in either direction.

Jobs are scarce and the unemployment rate is exceptionally high. Although the crime really isn't that bad unless you are in the hoods which is where 99% of shootings, robberies and such exists.

The good thing about Decatur is that the cost of living is literally the cheapest you'll find anywhere. It's centrally located so large cities are only a few hours in any direction. St. Louis is two hours South, Chicago is two and a half hours North, Indianapolis is two and a half hours East.

The best area to live in inside of Decatur is North or South Shores. The East side stinks (literally) from the factories being near that side of town. The Southside is okay as well. The Westside has Millikin University which has a beautiful campus but the Westside has the prostitutes, and panhandlers as well.

I would not recommend living WITHIN the radius of Fairview St. to Jasper St. and Garfield Ave. to Decatur St. The smaller surrounding cities such as Macon, Maroa, Argenta, Oreana, Mt.Zion, Forsyth, and Warrensburg have great school districts. Decatur does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:24 PM

51 posts, read 88,082 times
The smell of Decatur is enough to drive people away.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:27 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Decatur for retirement? I don' see it!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:53 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Decatur for retirement? It's on my radar. There's decent health care, a lake with affordable access, a reasonable amount of social opportunities, and the crime that scares a lot of people away is largely localized and can be avoided with a little common sense about where to live and hang out. Most importantly, real estate is very cheap, leaving room in the budget for winter "snow-birding" in the south. The relatively easy access to St Louis, Chicago, and Indianapolis is also nice.

As for Scovill zoo, I personally think it's quite nice given the size of the community that supports it.

Decatur ain't exactly a slice of heaven, but I think it often get's an unduly bad wrap. The worst thing about it is the public school system. At retirement, quality of schools will be of zero importance to me.

Last edited by Count David; 06-25-2015 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois