Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 783 times

Advertisements

OK first of all, sorry for my broken English, but I'm primarily a speaker of Polish/German/French looking for self-employment opportunities in Illinois where a bunch of my relatives live.

I am currently considering whether or not to buy into a franchise business. I have degrees in both French and German (earned at a Polish university) but currently work in a major Chinese outsourcing company as an accountant. Yet, I think its time I went out on my own as a teacher, especially since I'm about to move to the US. I've been toying with the idea for some time of starting a small language school here in the USA. I tutor English and also teach some German and French classes. I really love teaching languages and would like to make it more of a career than it is now. Something a little more formal. I've been looking into language school franchises such as Speak Up and on the face of it they look pretty solid but as I dug deeper into other forums I found a lot of people slating the whole franchise idea and recommending to do it from scratch yourself. I would appreciate other people's thoughts on this, especially if they have gone down the franchise route and succeeded. That's why I'm turning to You guys - please let me know if you

- had any previous experience with a franchisor like Speak Up as an employer (I'm not sure if it;s allowed but You'll find a link to their site here [url]http://speak-up.pl/en)?[/url] ever heard of the school in the US?
- know a quick and effective way of exploring the franchise market? - ever ran a franchise for a language school abroad?
- are there any basic tips You could give to a starter? does my first business have a chance of becoming a successful low cost franchise if my only experience is practical teaching?

I am on this forum to find out if anybody can advise of any pitfalls or legal requirements that could scupper the dream. Please don't take every word typed as the 'cast in stone' plan, as the whole idea is just that at the moment... an idea. If I've left out vital info, just ask what you need and I'll post it. I'm worried about making this post too long winded already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 11:03 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
What I believe is, among other things, you have a hard road ahead of you. I believe schools are licensed by the state, and must pass all inspections as required by the state. It must also pass all inspections by the city and/or county. If you intend to teach you must be licensed. You may be required to be proficient in the subjects you feel you are qualified to teach. You may also be required to have a Masters in Education.

You will need a building that can pass all the inspections, fire door exits, etc.. You will need extra parking here, too. If you are serious I would start the application process now. It may take a year or more before you can open your doors.

I would also caution about teaching American English as a Second Language (ESL) if you are NOT proficient or have a degree. It is different than British English in spelling, and by definition of common words such as boot, and bonnet; these are not American car parts.

You might want to take some time to explore the opportunities, and fully understand your obligations to the children you teach. Chicago has many opportunities; it also has a very large established Polish community.

Good Luck to you, sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois