Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 12:56 AM

5 posts, read 5,148 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My name is Donato Ragusa , I am 52 years old and I am thinking to move in Illinois , USA from Athens Greece. I produce fresh pasta , I make Italian deli and I cook authentic Italian food. Due to the severe crisis of the last 5 years in Greece , migration it has become a need for me and for my family, after 30 years of succesful existence in my domain , I realize that I have to go on by trying to move my business abroad and here I am . I need any information that would help me to decide what to do and how to do it.
Please I need some infos concernig the visa as well.

Thank you all for your time, bb

PS. I took already some advices from ppl in Vermont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 07:10 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
First, let me say I looked at your menu and restaurant. Both are very nice. The next thing I would say is you probably should be near a much larger city so as to find the kind of cheeses and food products you normally serve. For instance I do not know where you would find beetroot.

I do know there is a large Greek community with several Greek Orthodox Churches. in/near Chicago. I think this is where the Bishop for Illinois can be found. With at least 10 Greek Orthodox Churches in Chicago, I am sure there is a community of size that supports it.
Metropolis of Chicago

I don't know enough about a family Visa to comment.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:12 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
There is at least four other Illinois locations that are about 3 hours aways from Chicago that also have a Greek Orthodox Church. But you will have the same problem finding food products because the American diet is not only different than the European diet, we also think differently about food. For instance if we want Antipasto we go Italian rather than Greek for Antipasti. It is about what we ate and how we were raised and children. Unless Pita with lamb/beef is Greek ... I've never been exposed to Greek food.

Illinois is an Ag state with many small orchards and farms that produces the seasonal fruit, nuts and vegetables sold in roadside stands. Common foods found include celery, carrots, onions, potato, beet, pea, sweet corn, broccoli, cauliflower, parsnip, raspberry, blueberry, cantelope, squash, pumpkin, strawberry, tomato, lettuce, spinach, walnuts, pecans, and more. If your location is right, it is possible you could grow some of your own seasonal vegetables behind your business.

I live about 3 hours from Chicago. Here a beet is a plant that grows underground. Since our soil is sandy and black earth we can grow almost anything including grapes for wine. The tops of our beets is very leafy and dark green, but it is not part of the family diet. The beet itself is naturally mild, dark red, generally round, and is usually canned, pickled or served hot with butter at home. Beets are awesome.

I've never seen a beet served in a restaurant. This is not to say you won't find it in Chicago. Chicago and Cook County have approximately 8 million residents and a zillion restaurants that serve food from around the world. Physically Coom County is nearly the size of Greece, and it is the Midwest's most unique city.

The United States has three mega cities: New York City, Los Angeles California and Chicago Illinois. Chicago and the Midwest is the least expensive place to live in America.

Chicago also has a Chinatown with a grocery store and a drugstore. This is where you find the unusual foods, herbs and spices you might not find elsewhere in the Chicago area.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:36 PM

15 posts, read 20,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragusa63 View Post
Hi all,

My name is Donato Ragusa , I am 52 years old and I am thinking to move in Illinois , USA from Athens Greece. I produce fresh pasta , I make Italian deli and I cook authentic Italian food. Due to the severe crisis of the last 5 years in Greece , migration it has become a need for me and for my family, after 30 years of succesful existence in my domain , I realize that I have to go on by trying to move my business abroad and here I am . I need any information that would help me to decide what to do and how to do it.
Please I need some infos concernig the visa as well.

Thank you all for your time, bb

PS. I took already some advices from ppl in Vermont
There are many Greek restaurants in Chicago as well as in the suburbs. A lot of the Italian restaurants are owned by Greeks as well.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:22 AM

17 posts, read 16,225 times
Factoring in your business venture, and the need to transition smoothly once you are here in the USA, I believe the previous posters above are steering you in the right direction. Best wishes whatever you decide to do.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:16 AM

14 posts, read 18,756 times
The migration has become a real deal now.Well you sound like a man with talents and if you are provided visa by our government then you are most welcome in our country.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:37 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
You are coming from a country deep in debt that can't get it's act together? You'll feel right at home.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:25 AM

4 posts, read 5,745 times
Migration is such an issue right now.Either due to war economic issue.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:09 AM

14 posts, read 18,756 times
It is all because of the terrorism in the middle east.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:01 PM

128 posts, read 233,243 times
There is a large Greek community in the Chicago area. Many of the Greek parishes here have services that are mostly or all in Greek. Parish bulletin and websites in Greek and English. You would likely do as well in the suburbs as you would in Chicago. The cost of living can be less in the suburbs, but public transit is almost non-existent in many of the suburbs, if that matters to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois