Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 PM

36 posts, read 49,923 times

Advertisements

Right now we live in Arizona...my wife and I have 3 daughters ages 10, 6, and 3. We will be relocating to the Bloomington/Normal area in March. Making a cross country move is something we have never done before so we are hoping to gather more information regarding good things, bad things and any other information about Bloomington/Normal.

We are looking at renting an 3 bedroom apartment for the 1st year or two until we get situated. We have narrowed down our housing to zip code 61761...

Here are some of the questions I have and any help will be appreciated.

1. Does anyone know if this is a safe area or possibly where to look that up?

2. How are the schools in that zip code? I believe the elementary school we are assigned to is Fairview Elementary. So far we have seen mixed reviews about it. so any advice regarding elementary school and middle schools would be great

3. What are some things to do in the area with younger kids?

4. Are their any types of moms groups to join.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 12:43 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,109,392 times
Bloomington is the seat of the largest county in Illinois. It is about 160 miles southwest of Chicago. It is easy to catch the Amtrak and spend a day in the Windy City as Normal has the second businest Amtrak station in Illinois. You can fly from Bloomington, too.

Bloomington and Normal are two very different communities. Where the City of Bloomington is all business with two courthouses. The Town of Normal is an education center with Illinois State University (ISU) and its college preparatory laboratory highschool (U-High). The last time I checked there is a 2-3 year waiting list to get into U-High. While we are chatting about children do not forget to bring ALL of their school and medical records incluing eye, ear, teeth, d medical exams. hospital records and especially records of the booster shots. Illinois does have mandtory shots for school kids. Nearby colleges and universities include Bradley, Eureka, UIUC, SIU, Miiken, Weslyian adn three others, plius nursing and medical schools. There is also a dozen +/- hospitals in the area. Currently there is only one Level 1 critical care tertiary unit in central Illinois which is affiliated with Mayo Hospitl network. Medically speaking unless you are in Manhattan you probably won't get ny better care than in Central Illinols. The pediatricians in the area with sick children send their patients to Children's Hospital.

B-N are two of six communities in four counties in Central Illnois tht have not lost population that have have wethered the economin downturn that left the'Rust Belt" as a footnote Illinois is the #1 and #2 top national producers of soybeans and field corn. You will be surrounded by it from Spring to Fall. In the summer you find the fresh produce, sweet corn and melons. Come fall its pumpkins. Christmas is party time with big festivals. First Night is where its t in Springfield. It is normally sub-zero outside. Come next Spring there will be Eagle watch will kick 2017 off, and another year of things to do and see, and grass to mow. Most of it is free or very inexpensive. .

The four counties with the six towns are Peoria, Sangamon, Champaign and McLean. You'll find five zoological parks here: Peoria (2), Bloomington, Springfield, and Decatur. We also have some pretty good doctors and hospitals. Normal and Bloomington each have a hospital and mall. Both have a national bus line. City of Bloomington bus goes to Normal too.

Peoria has five hosptals, Springfield three, Eureka, Canton, Pekin, Urbana, Havana and Decatur each have one. Collectively we have as many or more malls. There is also a good dozen strip malls for shipping with 6-7 stores located throughout. Peoria nd Bloominton are sister cities and have been ever since the B-N TV station went dark. The communities exchange workiers, business, resturants, etc.. If you look for Trader Joe's. Costco and Whole Foods what you'll find is Costco, Fresh Market, and Simply Yours. The nearest TJ is in St. Louis. You can be in TJs and back on I-55 in less thsn an hour and you won't be in traffic with 8M other cars unless you drive to Chicago.

Looking for things for kids? Llve childreh's theater, Chuck E. Cheese, Wheels O' Time Museum, parks and sports, sleep to wolf lullaby, hike, bike, walk 4K Run, cook off, car shows, Childrens' Museum, TT Finals,river cruise, Grizzly Jack's, state Forest, camping, free Sat. nite movies in the park (G rated), festivals and events nearly every weekend. Sports include water, golf, ice hockey, softball and baseball, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, bowling, dancing, and more

There is also riverfront dining, a art studios, museums, medical district, 500 acre parks to enjoy, and the largest inland wildlife refuge in central Illinois. At 13000 beautiful acres in the Mississippi Flyway it offers much for the family from picnic, fisihging,taking hunting amd picking Illnois apples by the river, to spotting eagles in the early Spring, and pictures of the many bird species that come to rest.

Where to live? Come lookl PR really doesn't tell you much. There are very few ares to live in B-N that are not perfectly safe. I favor Normal, and always have as it has a younger family vibe that I didn't find in Bloomington when I lived there with my children. It was too stiff-necked and ultra conservative for me. The City of Peoria is a river city, a Port city, a STEM city a research city, and a four time All America City and a All America Hall of Fame City. It is different than the other communities. It's a family city that likes to do safe things for kids which is why a free umbrella fountain was crated on the the riverfront. Bring towels. Horse drwn carriage rides and river cruises are available too. Peoria County sprwls along the river front for many miles from Rt 9 to the Peoria and Marshall County borders at Lacon crossing access to the five bridges that carry traffic across the Illinois river to Peoria. Peoria is also noted for its fish and meat markets.

My best advise is Fly in, rent car and a hotel and put your boots on the ground. you can learn a lot about a city by reading the newspapers and the yellow pages. Between Peoria and B-N there are well over 100 churches that represent every major faith.

Grizzly Jack's is a resort outside Strved Rock State Park near Utica. It has a massive indoor waterpark and game room that is open all year for guests only. There are cabins, houses and rooms. The cabins are fully furnished with kitchen and washer/dryer. It has a good reputtion with grandparents. There is much to explore and learn. Relax and enjoy it.

I've done a lot of cross country travel and moving. Make it an adventure for your kids. Palo Duro Canyon in Texas is the Little Grand Canyon. It isn't far from the panhandle. Truck stops are great for kids and dogs. The food is good and they are generally clean.

If you are driving how you get to Illnois will depend upon where you live and the month. It is a miserable, hot, humid, trip in late summer. It is better to do it as soon as school lets out for the summer and drive at night. IL elementary schools starts mid-August. With its millions of acres of corn Illinois is not a cool, dry place. Also if you are towing say 10,000 pounds it will make a difference too and so will water. Be sure you stock up on bottled water all the way. Montezuma travels too. You might buy a common brand like you find at walmart. Drink bottled even at the buffet or McDonalds. It is amazing whatstrange and new city water can do to your digestive system in short order. There are routes where you won't see a city or a gas station for 50 miles. If you are going to drive, do make sure your vehicle is in top shape. .

Last edited by linicx; 01-08-2016 at 02:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois