Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 01:45 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times

Advertisements

Here is what I think the real scoop is:

I am a native of Wisconsin (the Milwaukee area) for much of my life. I am now in my young 30s, and have lived in the Milwaukee area for a great percentage of my life. For about 4 years or so until very recently, I lived in New Mexico, so I think I gained even more insight "being away"...

I think the truth is that a) a high percentage of Wisconsinites do not dislike Illinois folks, and vice-versa. I also believe b) a decent percentage of folks from both states do dislike one another.

Personally, I know that it is absolutely foolish for either states' citizens to dislike the other state. The fact of the matter is, in many regards, the two states need each other. Illinoisians/Chicagoans hate to hear that about Milwaukeeans/Wisconsinites...and vice versa...but it is true.

I think one of the main culprits of this rivalry is that the Midwest is so non-transitory. People have roots here that go back so long. Unlike places in the southwest, west, even parts of the SE's sunbelt or parts of the NE, so many Midwestern folks are born, raised, lived, and die in the Midwest. Huge quantities of transplants are not flocking to WI or IL (in IL somewhat the exception is Chicagoland, but even that is far different than other massive cities like LA) - a huge percentage of these states' populations are folks that "don't get out much"...eg: they've lived in either WI or IL for their whole lives.

Because of that, they have a very narrow view, and I think that leads to foolish regional rivalries like this that actually boil over to more than rivalries in some cases. It is all pretty much rather petty. Sure, Illinois drivers fill our highways on Fridays in the summer. Really, so what. Sure, Northwoods Wisconsinites might b**ch about Illinois folks buying up their properties - again, so what. It is all just pettiness - on both ends - if anyone really cares and believes in a rivalry. Neither side is "right". Both sides are though foolish.

Illinois needs Wisconsin for a) Milwaukee - a nice-sized big city (yes, a city with a metro of 1.5+ million is a big city) that isn't nearly as mammoth as Chicago, so they can come up here for festivals, sports events, etc., and not have to deal with the insane traffic, the long lines, the ridiculous prices, and b) the many recreational areas that Wisconsin offers.

Wisconsin needs Illinois for a) Chicago - a huge city with typical huge-city type ammenities that only a few cities in the US can offer, and b) the tourism and tax dollars that Illinois folks bring to the economy.

Really, truly, both states need each other, just like any productive region of the nation has inter-state synergies.

Anyone that thinks otherwise is just being very narrow-minded and quite frankly, silly. I like Milwaukee and prefer it here and would live in this area easily before Chicago, but that doesn't mean I don't readily appreciate having Chicagoland only 80 miles away with 2 large airports, sports, shopping and restaurant options, etc.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:29 PM

52 posts, read 190,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I believe that would a self-fulfilling prophecy ... "I think those people from Illinois are jerks, so when I see one, i'll be a jerk first" thus inviting the person in question to be a jerk back and the cycle of douchbaggery continues.
j33,I only meant that the the part you wrote between the quotations(not your entire post) sounds like the kind of wisdom that somebody might have while perched on a barstool.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:08 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
ah ... I get what you mean now, and you are exactly right

Old 10-12-2007, 06:43 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,429 times
When I lived in Illinois and a cheesehead called me a fib, I'd respond with

"Don't make me sell my garage and buy your whole neighborhood."

Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
When I lived in Illinois and a cheesehead called me a fib, I'd respond with

"Don't make me sell my garage and buy your whole neighborhood."
lol

Good one. Ill have to remember that one.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:27 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,834 times
Default i JUST ALWAYS WONDER

if Chicago is so great and has so much culture and so many things to do and you all live there..................why do you all leave on the weekends for your fun and leisure time? I think this when I see all the Illinois plates in town and feel sorry for these folks. Isn't there anything to do in chicago is all I can think.

Please tell me why you all leave on the weekend if chicago is so great. And if you like being in Wisconsin, why do you live in chicago.

Seems like people are confused about what they want out of life. If you work 5 days a week and all you can think about is leaving and driving for two days are things not screwed up. Wouldn't you rather be in a place you liked 5 days a week and go to a place you want to leave for two instead.

I think people are just too much "busy bees" and always not content with what they have right in their own back yard.

Cheers

Old 10-12-2007, 06:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
if Chicago is so great and has so much culture and so many things to do and you all live there..................why do you all leave on the weekends for your fun and leisure time? I think this when I see all the Illinois plates in town and feel sorry for these folks. Isn't there anything to do in chicago is all I can think.
You ask this as if we all flee the city every weekend. Well, we don't. Nonetheless, sometimes you just need a change of pace and a change of scenery, no matter where you live.

Quote:
Please tell me why you all leave on the weekend if chicago is so great. And if you like being in Wisconsin, why do you live in chicago.
We live in Chicago because we like having jobs that pay enough to give us the chance to travel to places like Wisconsin and beyond.

Quote:
Seems like people are confused about what they want out of life. If you work 5 days a week and all you can think about is leaving and driving for two days are things not screwed up. Wouldn't you rather be in a place you liked 5 days a week and go to a place you want to leave for two instead.
Again, you act like we all look forward to leaving the city every single weekend. Nonsense.

Quote:
I think people are just too much "busy bees" and always not content with what they have right in their own back yard.
Or maybe we're just not so provincial that we're also interested in other places, not just what is in our own back yard.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:53 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
I only leave the city to go on vacation a few times a year. Not every weekend.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:56 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,429 times
Quote:

Cheers
You might want to think about a set of Hooked on Phonics tapes.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,834 times
Default wow real classy post

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
You might want to think about a set of Hooked on Phonics tapes.
Just what we wisconsinites expect from you Illinois folks. This is why we do not like you coming up.Your rude. And we dont have to drive 300 miles to get here. we already live here and yes we have money to . We make it by selling overpriced junk to people from Chicago. Used to sell in an antique mall in Wisconsin dells and I will tell you we got the biggest laugh at what you folks would buy and what you would spend on total junk we bought at a flea market for quarter. Yah you all are real smart living in that rat trap in overpriced houses. Some people never learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois