Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:02 PM

15 posts, read 69,266 times

Advertisements

My dad is from chicago, and he lives in madison, besides him talking about Illinois, i really dont hear much about it. Nobody i know talks bad about it.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:41 PM

781 posts, read 1,618,873 times
This sums it up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQxEvv4_8Mk

Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 AM

146 posts, read 1,010,859 times
I just wish that Wisconsin people would stop assuming that Chicago is the entire sum of Illinois. I am so tired of telling people we are from southern Illinois (6 hours from Chicago!) and having them start asking me about Chicago or making some reference to it. There is a whole lot of Illinois besides Chicago!

Old 04-12-2007, 08:54 PM

50 posts, read 176,725 times
I have to say that Illinois drivers are a little tempermental, but having lived in DC for a couple of years....it is much worse there. Even driving through Indianapolis I have to be in my "aggressive driver" mode.

And it is true Illinoisans are a target for WI police....that's because they know we won't come back up for a court date, we'll just pay the damn ticket.

Things do move at a slower pace in Wisconsin, I typically pass individuals at a fast rate, even though I'm only going 5 mph over the speed limit. I think Wisconsinites are more laid back than Illinoisans.

As far as the whole Packers vs. Bears controversy, you have to admit that we can all agree we hate the Vikings much more than either team. I also seem to think that the rivalry isn't as bad as it used to be....now it seems to be all in good fun...although some parts of Wisconsin would probably disagree with me on that.

And they probably aren't too happy that on the weekends thousands flock north of the border to invade their territory. But in all reality, what would the economy be like if we didn't?

Old 04-16-2007, 08:24 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
This is just a classic "townie vs. vacation home owner/tourist" divide. Chicagoans go up to places such as Lake Geneva and Door County and buy up the real estate (a similar situation is on the other side of Lake Michigan in southwestern Michigan), which in turn pushes a lot of the locals out. On the other end, Wisconsin's urban areas such as Milwaukee and Green Bay have economies that are stagnant compared to Chicago, so there's a great amount of envy there, as well. So, you've got Illinois people driving up the real estate prices in the most beautiful areas of Wisconsin while the rest of the more northern state isn't keeping up in economic terms with Illinois in general. Even though I'm a Chicagoan, I can understand why Wisconsin natives might be a bit testy toward us.
Great comment Frank,I think that sums up the whole issue-envy!!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM

146 posts, read 1,010,859 times
Since moving to Wisconsin, I have been sorely tempted to put a bumper sticker on our car (still have our Illinois plates) that says "there is more to Illinois than Chicago!". I am so tired of telling people we are from southern Illinois (as different from day and night to Chicago) and have them reference questions and comments about Chicago to us. We are 6 hours from Chicago, in southern Illinois, never go there, do not know anyone there and so forth. Yet, it is assumed if we are from Illinois we are from Chicago. We are thinking of telling people we are from Missouri and see if that helps! (Not far from the truth, we did go to college there and lived there for a short time.)

Old 04-16-2007, 02:37 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Yes Dolly,I read your above two posts and in other of your posts as well.I am sorry its such a negative issue with you and it bothers you so that people think you are from Chicago..

Old 06-06-2007, 07:36 AM

196 posts, read 969,451 times
wow....how sad.
never heard that one and Ilived there a few years.
My son is still there, I will have to clue him in.
The school system in wisconsin (private) is awesome. They ahve been nicer to me than any Illinois insitution.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:41 AM

196 posts, read 969,451 times
Thumbs up absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
Since moving to Wisconsin, I have been sorely tempted to put a bumper sticker on our car (still have our Illinois plates) that says "there is more to Illinois than Chicago!". I am so tired of telling people we are from southern Illinois (as different from day and night to Chicago) and have them reference questions and comments about Chicago to us. We are 6 hours from Chicago, in southern Illinois, never go there, do not know anyone there and so forth. Yet, it is assumed if we are from Illinois we are from Chicago. We are thinking of telling people we are from Missouri and see if that helps! (Not far from the truth, we did go to college there and lived there for a short time.)
I would buy one on those stickers!!! There is more to ILLINOIs than Chicago.

I agree... I have lived outside of chicago most my life.... yet they nicknamed my kid "chicago" at school in Wisconsin., Not even sure he's been there other than for a few sports events.

I rarely stepped into "Chicago"....once I moved to the burbs. Wisconsin should understand the size of the states.... Not like someone from Milwaukee or Madison is gonna be excepted in Chippewa either.

enjoy your new home., hopfully in 5 or 10 years they will accept you as a resident.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
I had a second home in SW Michigan (my first is in Chicago) and there is the same 'townie v. tourist' divide. The locals found Chicagoans rude and pushy but loved the tourist dollars they provided. Non-locals were referred to as "F.I.P.'s", in the local idiom but there was not real hatred of the outsiders. The MI economy was so bad and Berrien County in MI is a lot closer to Chicago than Door County in WI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois