Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 02:25 PM

13 posts, read 58,486 times

Advertisements

I am currently in a market for a home. I currently live in a suburb in St. Louis, MO, my children are in a great school district. I would like to keep them in a good school district within my budget. I have opened my search up to include O'Fallon, Glen Carbon, and Edwardsville. Every time I tell someone who lives in Missouri that I am thinking about moving to Illinois they say "Illinois taxes are way too high".

I know they are higher, but really how bad is it?
Has anyone moved from MO to IL, if so what were the differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 10:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,101,930 times
Yes property taxes r higher than Mo., but they do more and they stay local. Yes I moved from SWMO to IL for better medical care - which is another story. The highest taxes r in Cook County, Chicago and surrounding area.

Dollar for dollar i don't find much difference in daily COL. I believe Edwardsville will serve you and your family very well. Do understand that much of IL outside of Chicago is farmland.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:29 PM

685 posts, read 754,535 times
I've lived on both sides of the river in the StL metro. Living in Illinois was easy. The Metro East is not Chicago.

Overall, taxes are a wash. I think the cost-of-living is actually lower in the Metro East. A lot more open space and less-traffic too.

Property taxes are higher in Illinois, but income taxes are higher in Missouri. Sales taxes are also higher in Missouri. And Illinois does not have personal property tax.

You can also get a much nicer property in Illinois at any given price. Lower property values cancel-out much of the higher property tax. Prop. taxes are generally lower in Monroe/Madison County than St. Clair County. Edwardsville/Glen Carbon are excellent areas. I've also heard good things about Columbia/Waterloo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois