Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,086 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'll be moving to Peoria in May and was wondering if there were any rental suggestions. A little background on me. I'm originally from California in my late 20's and will be starting my residency at OSF St. Francis this June. I would prefer a spot that's a 10-15 min drive to the hospital and that is also close to any weight lifting gyms. Close proximity to bars and restaurants would be great but it's not a deal breaker.

I was looking on Craigslist and noticed houses and apartment complexes near the hospital were either old looking or had poor reviews. Particularly, cityscape came up as having poor reviews albeit they were from 8 years ago. Any suggestions would be great. My budget is max $1200 for a 1 or 2 bedroom as my long time girlfriend may be coming with me as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 06:50 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Congratulations! Both the medical and the nursing programs are well regarded. FORGET CTAIGSLIST. ... you do not need it. There are several REPUTABLE housing services in Peoria. The most direct route from home to OSF is Prospect Avenue that becomes Glen Oak not too far from OSF hospital Travel time in dry weather is about 10 minutes. Peoria has some of the lowest COL in the state. You want to live NORTH of War Memorial Drive (US 150). This area of Prospect is in the Village of Peoria Heights. It is independent of Peoria. It is generally clean and safe and will meet all of you needs except the gym. The best is about 6 blocks SOUTH of the hospital near the intersection of Main and Water streets. Pool, walking track, exercize quipment. Get a day pass and check it out.

Prospect and Peoria Heights are 3 lights or 3miles from major shopping Frion Trisect Glen or Lake Streets will take you into the heart of the shopping. Both enter strip mall shoppint with major grocers and other stores. PH is a desireable address and a well positioned place for you to live. You can find a fish and meat markets, intgernational and natrual food stores -- and non-traditional healing. Our three major parks average 300-500 acfes eac, and there are two zoological parks.

You will find Costco and several sources for natural food stuffs, but not Trader Joes which is in Chicago or St. Louis. As Peoria is half-way, I can tell you St. Louis taxes are much less, parking is easier to find, and there is 10-times less traffic. 10M cars v 1M in ST. Louis.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:59 PM

197 posts, read 235,899 times
I stayed in the Timberlane Apartments on the northwest side for a year. They were clean, cheap, and in a nicer area of the town near the new mall.

I would definitely echo the above poster and stay north of War Memorial. Anywhere you need to go in the city you can get to within 10-15 minutes even if you're north of War drive. The convenience of living closer to the downtown area won't make up for the increased risk of crime and quality of life issues.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:06 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Peoria Heights is the closest to OSF with a desireabe address. You will find apartments and houses that are available by calling the village Clerk. There is a nother apartment comples in PH on Galena Road. It will add 7 miles and 20 minutes travel time as opposed to to the direct Prospect Rpad to OSF hospital. When you are tired and the weather is rotten you will hjate the extra travel time.

een there done it.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:53 AM

36 posts, read 41,621 times
Question Peoria... War Memorial Drive looks like a boundary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You want to live NORTH of War Memorial Drive (US 150).
OK, I'll bite. What's happening south of WMD that anyone moving to Peoria should be aware of?
It rather sounds like it's the Northside vs the Southside, as it is in Chicago.

There's a hugemongous number of homes for sale south of WMD. Also the zoo, the U...

Clue me in. I'm looking to escape Chicago real soon, and Florida is not my cup of tea

Old 05-25-2016, 11:15 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Guy View Post
OK, I'll bite. What's happening south of WMD that anyone moving to Peoria should be aware of?
It rather sounds like it's the Northside vs the Southside, as it is in Chicago.

There's a hugemongous number of homes for sale south of WMD. Also the zoo, the U...

Clue me in. I'm looking to escape Chicago real soon, and Florida is not my cup of tea
It pretty much is. South side I believe is hoodrat city. Be careful where you choose to live in Peoria. There are many nice areas. There are also many shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois