Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Staying or Moving?
Staying 44 35.48%
Moving 65 52.42%
Not Sure 15 12.10%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:17 PM

3,495 posts, read 2,185,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Okie View Post
Left Il. for Oklahoma,...anyone staying in IL. is insane.....

Say Thank you Democrats.....
Then call me insane. When will people learn, it's not Democrats vs. Republicans. It's POLITICIANS serving their own self-interests. Not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp. It's always been about power and will continue to be about power for as long as human beings serve in positions of authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 07:38 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Okie View Post
Left Il. for Oklahoma,...anyone staying in IL. is insane.....

Say Thank you Democrats.....
You get what you pay for in Oklahoma for the most part, enjoy the earthquake induced fracking as well.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:29 PM

605 posts, read 711,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Then call me insane. When will people learn, it's not Democrats vs. Republicans. It's POLITICIANS serving their own self-interests. Not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp. It's always been about power and will continue to be about power for as long as human beings serve in positions of authority.
I'd love to agree with you, except Chicago is 100% democratic run. There are NO republican aldermen at all. There used to be one or two (although I'd argue they were RINO's and not real republicans). Every really dumpy city in the whole country is run predominantly by democrats.

That said, I will agree that there are plenty of corrupt republican politicians too. But there is an ideological difference (in theory) between the two parties.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:05 PM

3,495 posts, read 2,185,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
I'd love to agree with you, except Chicago is 100% democratic run. There are NO republican aldermen at all. There used to be one or two (although I'd argue they were RINO's and not real republicans). Every really dumpy city in the whole country is run predominantly by democrats.

That said, I will agree that there are plenty of corrupt republican politicians too. But there is an ideological difference (in theory) between the two parties.
"Every dumpy city"? What? Since when is Chicago dumpy? More like one of the best cities in the U.S. When I think dumpy, I think Philly, Gary, Panama City, Miami, Houston, Baltimore, Detroit, Baton Rouge, Akron...

5 Reasons Why Chicago Is the Best City in the USA | Kaplan Blog

Last edited by My Kind Of Town; 09-08-2016 at 09:16 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 09:41 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
I could live anywhere in the US that I want with my current job and I just chose to move back to the Chicago burbs and could not be happier! I'm so friggin glad to be out of that hell hole called Atlanta that I've almost wanted to cry and kiss the ground several times since returning to Illinois!

Seriously, taxes are a bit higher here overall, but man Chicago is one of the greatest cities on Earth!!!!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:14 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,809 times
Staying, but ONLY because my family is here. My parents and only surviving grandparent are getting older, so I made the choice to stay even though I'd rather move someplace warm and far, far away from the Midwest.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:13 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
I'd like to find out the reasons people are leaving, and the percent leaving for each reason. To find work they can't find here? They can't stand the Rauner/Madigan refusal to pass a budget or get things funded? Retiring to someplace warmer/cheaper?

Old 09-19-2016, 06:23 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I'd like to find out the reasons people are leaving, and the percent leaving for each reason. To find work they can't find here? They can't stand the Rauner/Madigan refusal to pass a budget or get things funded? Retiring to someplace warmer/cheaper?

I'm in NY, I'll tell you why people are leaving...

Crime, high taxes, corrupt gov't, racial tensions, crappy weather,

Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 AM

6 posts, read 4,731 times
Default teacher pensions

My wife is a school teacher and will retire in 8 years. For the past 25 years she has put in 11% of her income into the teachers retirement system--most people don't realize that teachers pay for there retirement and the state is suppose to pay there fair share. The state has not paid there fair share in years and actually borrowed from TRS. Please keep in mind teachers cannot collect ss even though my wife paid into SS before coming a teacher. The state was solvent in 1998 and had a surplus before Gov ryan and Blago

Old 09-23-2016, 07:37 PM

383 posts, read 399,783 times
Been in Illinois for 54 of my 58 years. We plan to move south to a much more tax friendly environment in 3 years 10 months and 3 weeks at age 62.

Illinois sucks in every way except for the ordinary workin folk.

I recommend extermination of the government. Like the rats they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois