Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:47 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
TX would have to sell those assets, something taxpayers may not want to do in this hypothetical situation.
Huh? No. That's not how credit ratings / financial solvency calculations work. The question was "Why does Illinois have the worst state credit rating then?", not "what happens if SHTF for IL or TX?"

If you want to change the subject to "if SHTF", look at what happened in California. Furloughs, delayed tax refunds, raised taxes, etc. It's not like the state is going to default on all debt and cash out all assets. But talk to someone that lived in California during that time; you'll get an earful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 06:58 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Huh? No. That's not how credit ratings / financial solvency calculations work. The question was "Why does Illinois have the worst state credit rating then?", not "what happens if SHTF for IL or TX?"

If you want to change the subject to "if SHTF", look at what happened in California. Furloughs, delayed tax refunds, raised taxes, etc. It's not like the state is going to default on all debt and cash out all assets. But talk to someone that lived in California during that time; you'll get an earful.
I feel we're saying the same thing.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 8,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
I agree but the number of jobs in the state has and is still increasing (while the population is decreasing, more people working that are still living here = good). Until this reverses for a sustained period of time aren't we all just speaking prematurely and in hypotheticals? No one here knows the details of how taxes will be increased in the coming years.
I agree with you 100% sometimes it is a good idea to simply wait, before jumping to conclusions, because many people have left Illinois and moved South to find out that the jobs are not there or paying far less and the cost of living is more expensive than they presumed, and are wanting to move back, but are financially strapped.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:09 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times
Il. has only 1 problem, ignorant democrat voters ! That's it in a nutshell!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I feel we're saying the same thing.
Not from earlier, but glad to have you on board now!

Old 08-29-2016, 09:34 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
Quote:
TX would have to sell those assets, something taxpayers may not want to do in this hypothetical situation.
No matter what facts are thrown at you about the sad fiscal condition of this state, you always have some sort of excuse. For some reason you simply cannot comprehend or acknowledge the truth.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open heart View Post
I agree with you 100% sometimes it is a good idea to simply wait, before jumping to conclusions, because many people have left Illinois and moved South to find out that the jobs are not there or paying far less and the cost of living is more expensive than they presumed, and are wanting to move back, but are financially strapped.
Is this just personal experience, or have you seen some studies on it? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've always believed it pays to do your homework. If someone moved to an area purely on the basis of cost, and not earning potential in that area, that's a poor move on their part. However, if the ratio of COL to income is much more favorable, they're going to have a MUCH easier time in the new location.

It's not what you earn, it's what you keep.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:15 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
No matter what facts are thrown at you about the sad fiscal condition of this state, you always have some sort of excuse. For some reason you simply cannot comprehend or acknowledge the truth.
Funny, I could say the same about a few posters here. I've created quite a few threads and made numerous posts that are critical of the state of affairs. I do comprehend the situation. Maybe you should re-read some of my posts. IL is not fiscally healthy by any stretch, but a lot of places people here cite as utopias of fiscal management aren't doing much better...the debt to GDP ratio link I posted proves this. These aren't excuses, just facts.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:38 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Interesting post. Why does Illinois have the worst state credit rating then? Any idea?
Part of it has to do with our political climate. Some of the downgrades occurred after the IL Supreme Court made certain rulings. Many of the agencies don't have faith that our politicians will do much to fix the problem versus what's going on in other states, as the agencies have noted gridlock in Springfield multiple times as this point.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:34 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Part of it has to do with our political climate. Some of the downgrades occurred after the IL Supreme Court made certain rulings. Many of the agencies don't have faith that our politicians will do much to fix the problem versus what's going on in other states, as the agencies have noted gridlock in Springfield multiple times as this point.
The much bigger part of it is the mountain of unpaid bills:

Illinois has nearly $213 billion in unpaid bills, $40.4 billion in hidden debt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois