Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:36 PM

539 posts, read 1,924,157 times

Advertisements

Southern Illinois is interesting. I live in Chicago (but am originally from Alabama) and that part of the state reminds me of Alabama (minus the snow in the wintertime). Very rural, conservative, but friendly area. Full of quaint little towns that are are picturesque in the winter after a fresh snowfall and just as lovely in the summertime when everyone's outside enjoying a lazy August afternoon. Also, when most people (including myself) think of Illinois, we tend to think of Chicago, or maybe East St. Louis. In other words, Illinois is usually thought of as being heavily urbanized and industrial. But the truth of the matter is, most of the state is not like that. When I lived in Alabama, I visited St. Louis many times and always drove through So. IL on the way to STL and usually stopped there. The people there were, IMO, typical friendly Midwesterners. Good folks. I've been to most of the largest towns mentioned - Marion, West Frankfort, Mt. Vernon, Vienna. Haven't been to Carbondale, though. It's off of the interstate, that's why I never went there. I remember there being a state prison somewhere down around Marion. Also, it's important to note that the closer you get to St. Louis, the more crappy the area tends to get. By the time you get to East St. Louis, it's pretty rough looking. But you know, I've been to ESTL several times and even there there's positive things going on and good people there, contrary to popular belief.

Good luck on your project.

_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 12:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Southern Illinois is interesting. I live in Chicago (but am originally from Alabama) and that part of the state reminds me of Alabama (minus the snow in the wintertime)
Alabama gets snow. Not much, but they do get snow. I believe parts of AL rcvd 13" or more the other day.

Carry on....

Old 03-12-2008, 01:09 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Also, when most people (including myself) think of Illinois, we tend to think of Chicago, or maybe East St. Louis. In other words, Illinois is usually thought of as being heavily urbanized and industrial. But the truth of the matter is, most of the state is not like that.
My sister and I used to joke about this "If it weren't for Chicago, Illinois would never be on the map." Of course we were younger, cockier, and thought the world revolved around Chicago....then we got older, traveled, still think Chicago is cool, and at the same time it's fun to explore "other" areas of the state that you suddenly gain your interest. I remember in my CPS days learning about Illinois history and thinking "B-O-R-I-N-G." But now, I'm amazed at the little gems, the old and long forgotten towns, the people.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 AM

539 posts, read 1,924,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Alabama gets snow. Not much, but they do get snow. I believe parts of AL rcvd 13" or more the other day.

Carry on....

Oh I know. Alabama gets snow, as does Mississippi and Arkansas. Tennesee gets considerably more. I remember when Birmingham got 13" back in 1993. I don't know what you're talking about anywhere in Alabama getting 13" recently though...........I did hear that Huntsville picked up 1-3" this past weekend from talking to people back home.

But in any case, Alabama snow is not like Illinois snow. Alabama snow hardly needs to be plowed because by the time they bring the plows out, the snow's melted

Quote:
My sister and I used to joke about this "If it weren't for Chicago, Illinois would never be on the map." Of course we were younger, cockier, and thought the world revolved around Chicago....then we got older, traveled, still think Chicago is cool, and at the same time it's fun to explore "other" areas of the state that you suddenly gain your interest. I remember in my CPS days learning about Illinois history and thinking "B-O-R-I-N-G." But now, I'm amazed at the little gems, the old and long forgotten towns, the people.

Springfield and Champaign are my favorite downstate cities. Lot of history in Springfield and Champaign's just cool because it's a college town. Not sure if it's considered Chicago area or not, but Aurora's a neat little town too. I kind of want to go down to Carbondale since that's supposed to be the largest city in southern Illinois. But then again is there much of anything down there? Is it worth traveling out of the way to visit? It's several miles off of the interstate.

I also have kind of a weird obsession with East St. Louis - probably because it reminds me of home so much. It's very much like the soft spot that I have for Detroit - I can empathize.

_

Old 03-22-2008, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 14,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixxiSpumoni View Post
I guess I'm confused about "Little Egypt." I thought that was the Shawneetown area, but it sounds like "Little Egypt" includes Jackson County?

I've found the Big Muddy Music and film festival, as well the Big Muddy Coal Company, although these are probably closer to East St. Louis.

Is the river itself accessible from the road, or do you have to drive in?

Thanks so much. Your information was invaluable.
The whole of Southern Illinois identifies as Egypt or Little Egypt. (My power company co-op is "Egyptian Electric," for instance.)
I'm not sure I understand your question about driving in to the river. You drive across it on Rt. 13 just before you enter Murphysboro from the east. At the moment, it's flooding badly. The mayor of Murphysboro was requesting that people come fill sandbags yesterday. I drove to M'boro yesterday on Rt. 13, and there were so many flooded, wooded areas all along 13.
If you're interested in Southern Illinois, I recommend you check out some local musicians. The Woodbox Gang is a terrific band that writes music that reflects the area. And a musician named Stace England has done a entire CD of music about the city of Cairo and its history.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 PM

287 posts, read 350,660 times
I'm not sure I would be writing a script for an area I don't know anything about, really...

Old 03-26-2008, 05:23 PM

17 posts, read 70,210 times
Default Southern Illinois Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojohnson76 View Post
I'm not sure I would be writing a script for an area I don't know anything about, really...
If everyone felt this way, there would be no films; no television shows, no plays, and very few books.

It's called RESEARCH, and it comes in front of all projects.

Actually, I do know something about the area, and am learning more everyday, thanks in part to the good people on this site. If you would like to be one of those people, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm not looking for opinions.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:50 PM

Yeah...Well, for films, TV shows, plays, and books, they probably come visit the area for a lengthy period, study it, read books on it...don't just ask random people on a forum.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be nasty, but with your response, I'm okay with being nasty now.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Southern Illinois is interesting. I live in Chicago (but am originally from Alabama) and that part of the state reminds me of Alabama (minus the snow in the wintertime). Very rural, conservative, but friendly area. Full of quaint little towns that are are picturesque in the winter after a fresh snowfall and just as lovely in the summertime when everyone's outside enjoying a lazy August afternoon. Also, when most people (including myself) think of Illinois, we tend to think of Chicago, or maybe East St. Louis. In other words, Illinois is usually thought of as being heavily urbanized and industrial. But the truth of the matter is, most of the state is not like that. When I lived in Alabama, I visited St. Louis many times and always drove through So. IL on the way to STL and usually stopped there. The people there were, IMO, typical friendly Midwesterners. Good folks. I've been to most of the largest towns mentioned - Marion, West Frankfort, Mt. Vernon, Vienna. Haven't been to Carbondale, though. It's off of the interstate, that's why I never went there. I remember there being a state prison somewhere down around Marion. Also, it's important to note that the closer you get to St. Louis, the more crappy the area tends to get. By the time you get to East St. Louis, it's pretty rough looking. But you know, I've been to ESTL several times and even there there's positive things going on and good people there, contrary to popular belief.

Good luck on your project.

_
Wrong. East St. Louis is the rough area, it doesn't gradually get worse as you get to St. Louis. Mt Vernon to O'fallon is basically countryside, then O'Fallon, Fairview Heights, Swansea, Shiloh, are all small, nice, suburban towns. East St. Louis is a ghetto.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:18 AM

13 posts, read 41,896 times
Antioch, Grayslake and Zion, IL all have Piggly Wiggly...not sure about Southern IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois