Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support Barack Obama for Governor of Illinois?
Yes 5 23.81%
No 16 76.19%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:46 PM

575 posts, read 615,655 times

Advertisements

Barrack will be busy being a US Supreme Court justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 07:50 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner (R) isn't up for reelection until 2018, but I figured it's never too early to start thinking ahead. How do you feel about Rauner so far? No doubt he's trying to make structural changes. Do you hope he follows through and seeks reelection? Who are some other possible candidates from both parties you could see making a run for the Governorship? Pat Quinn ?

Not saying he'd be up for the job by any means, but would you support Barack Obama if he decided to run?
I hope for the impossible. I hope that the people of Illinois elect a General Assembly with a Republican majority for Governor Rauner to work with.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:48 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Oh my God. That would be the worst scenario of all time. I'm just amazed that people still back Madigan after 30 years of running Illinois into the toilet. I realize that Jim Edgar started the whole underfunding pension mess in the early 90s but that was backed by Madigan every time with Edgar, Ryan, Blago, Quinn and now Rauner. There's no one I want out of office more than Mike Madigan.

btw - i voted no on Obama for gov.
Technically speaking the pensions offfered by Illinois to governmental workers have really NEVER been "funded" in the way that private firms are required to earmark such things. The issue was known to both sides from essentially Day One of the state offering pensions. In fact, the provisions to lock-in pension benefits were part of the debate at the 1970 Illinois Consitution Convention -- Pension debate at 1970 Constitutional Convention echoes in today's crisis - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

It is entirely true that had there been other alternatives offered the state would not be on the hook for billions in promises based on insufficient set-asides.

The effort of Jim Edgar to try to plan out a path that would at least make the plans solvent without bankrupting Illinois was based on too many rosy projections and too many "kick the can down the roads" that future legislators would stick to an ever increasing schedule of set asides.

Current projections that factor in the new much more realistic modest returns that safe investments pay show the shortfalls to be ever larger -- US public pension system facing $3T funding gap: report | TheHill

What is unique about Illinois in the craven mastermind that dream up these schemes continues to profit from his criminal efforts involving shifting taxes from his clients onto regular home owners and he uses his position to block any reforms that would deprive him and his party on power:

Mihalopoulos: Mike Madigan should show us the money and release his tax returns | Chicago Sun-Times

Madigan's Democratic lawyer sues to block redistricting reform referendum - Chicago Tribune

Madigan uses war chest to sway vote - Chicago Tribune

Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM

575 posts, read 615,655 times
Madigan's voted in favor of pension reform. But the reforms have been blocked by the IL Supreme Ct. and the constitution. Before Rauner took office, it may have been possible to reach a bipartisan consensus on a costitutional amendment. But now the atmosphere is too toxic.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 PM

529 posts, read 646,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
Madigan's voted in favor of pension reform. But the reforms have been blocked by the IL Supreme Ct. and the constitution. Before Rauner took office, it may have been possible to reach a bipartisan consensus on a costitutional amendment. But now the atmosphere is too toxic.
They knew when signing that 'reform' bill that it was unconstitutional. The reduction in COL increases meant the retiree would be getting a reduction in their pension.

Article XIII, Section 5. Pension and Retirement Rights Membership in any pension or retirement system of the State, any unit of local government or school district, or any agency or instrumentality thereof, shall be an enforceable contractual relationship, the benefits of which shall not be diminished or impaired.

All new state employees and lawmakers etc should pay into their own 401k type retirement plan and pensions should not be offered to new employees (this already may be the case?). Pass a law prohibiting a government entity from shorting pension payments. Recalculate how final pension payouts will be determined. Renegotiate with unions to make sure employees are paying a fair portion into their retirements.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:26 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
The actuarial cost of the existing system is already so out-of-whack with legions of do-nothing lawmakers and insiders that intentionally stacked their pensions to milk hundreds of thousands if not millions in retirement and the State of Illinois already is unable to add to its existing work force, there is little reason to think that a new defined contribution system would do anything to help the situation.

Need to rewrite constitution, start over.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:30 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,457 times
A defined contribution is a million times better than a defined benefit plan. I can name dozens of broke pension plans. I can not name one underfunded 401k plan. Best solution is to require that every American have a 401k plan and then force them to contribute 10% of their income towards that plan. Then you don't need pensions, social security, etc.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:07 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,453,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner (R) isn't up for reelection until 2018, but I figured it's never too early to start thinking ahead. How do you feel about Rauner so far? No doubt he's trying to make structural changes. Do you hope he follows through and seeks reelection? Who are some other possible candidates from both parties you could see making a run for the Governorship? Pat Quinn ?

Not saying he'd be up for the job by any means, but would you support Barack Obama if he decided to run?
Though you may have thought otherwise after he stuck his nose our last state primary and endorsed Juliana Stratton over That Guy who dared cross Mike Madigan, the Obamas will not be returning to Illinois...

Obama says he plans to stay in Washington after presidency - LA Times

Maybe the south side of Chicago is too violent and doesn't have good enough schools for them, despite the great strides we've made in the last 8 years towards reducing crime and improving education? In any case, though lack of residency didn't stop Rahm, I doubt Barrack will be running for any IL public office.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:54 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,860,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
A defined contribution is a million times better than a defined benefit plan. I can name dozens of broke pension plans. I can not name one underfunded 401k plan. Best solution is to require that every American have a 401k plan and then force them to contribute 10% of their income towards that plan. Then you don't need pensions, social security, etc.
That's kind of what Social Security is supposed to be with the employee and employer contributions.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:33 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
That's kind of what Social Security is supposed to be with the employee and employer contributions.
But there is a HUUUUGE difference. Social Security is not your money under your name and SSN. Same is true with pensions which is why companies/politicians can rob from them. 401k is the only system under your name and SSN and no one can take from it except you. If it's underfunded that's your own fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois