Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:25 AM

944 posts, read 3,954,009 times

Advertisements

ratbert: Everything you say makes me want to move to Carbondale!

GirlGeek: See what I said to ratbert!

I love what y'all are saying because it sounds like it has a lot of the charm and quirkiness that Austin has but it's in the country instead of a big city, plus it's not as hot and you get some real winter weather (which I like in moderation.)

ratbert's comment about people starting their own businesses, that's the clincher for me. That's what I was thinking when I read the post that said the coal plant (or something like that) closed down so that SIU was the only major employer. To me, that's GOOD news, not bad! I like areas where people create their own employment through cottage industry and local exchange rather than places that are "owned" by a corporation that has no concern for the local region. I'm an enterpreneur myself and I see the Internet and high-quality small-scale agriculture as 2 of the many ways that rural places can come back to life in the era of the obliteration of certain industries and the small farm. We still do have a choice and a voice in America and I love those areas where people are using their choices and voices for positive, creative endeavors instead of just giving up hope and caving in to crystal meth and/or booze.

Speaking of which, I know the heartland has a HUGE problem with meth. What about the Carbondale area? Is there a strong enough community there to withstand the horrors of that drug-from-hell?

Chloe07: maybe we'll see each other in Carbondale someday, since we both miss the old Austin and are looking for similar things!

This thread is the most positive thread about any location I've seen yet, and I've seen a lot of them! But it's possibly just a fluke that people who hate Carbondale aren't on this forum or haven't found this thread. So of course one has to be skeptical and see for oneself --- can it be as good as it sounds? ratbert's description of the gustatory delights provided by the locals is enough by itself to make me want to move there! What's the downside, y'all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 10:01 AM

29 posts, read 219,973 times
Deeptrance, I told you I'm marketing. And I confess Girl Geek is a friend, but since she's lived here longer I thought it might be good to get some additional insights. In the interest of full disclosure, we met together as volunteers on the Murphysboro Economic Development Committee, so "yup" we are pro-Southern Illinois. But, all we say is true.

I recently heard an ED person say they had spoken to a group of college students at one of the other area colleges (not SIU) and they asked how many planned to leave after graduation. 90% said they did. They then ask how many wanted to stay, but were worried they couldn't find jobs. 75%. Finally they asked how many would be willing to help in an effort to bring jobs to the area if the could. 90%.

What I have found is that people who are not pro-SI, are not negative, they just can't see the forest for the trees. They grew up here and they take for granted all the wonderful things about the area. To them they see an area on the decline job-wise and feel sad and powerless to change it.

The other day, I met a jewelry maker who had just moved back from NYC. Said he bought a old building on Main Street in DuQuoin and was setting up "shop and site." He chuckled and said, "Can you imagine me buying a building in NYC?' To the north of us, a couple from here who lived in Miami, just moved back and they are building a B&B with a stable. He also started a computer business and she does holistic medicine.

As for the meth thing, it's funny you mentioned it. Remember my poor migrant workers who lost their homes, I found out yesterday that their neighbor called it "meth alley." It is a problem. Coming from Houston it's hard to judge it in relative terms. Now that you can't buy decongestants without signing for them, they say it is getting better. Probably the good news, is that if there is an explosion, it's most likely going to be out in the countryside, not next door.

a few snowflakes today, but nothing on the ground....

Old 12-07-2006, 10:07 AM

Default Keep Carbondale Weird

Maybe we can all found a "Keep Carbondale Weird" club. Whaddya think Annette, Long Branch Coffee House?

Old 12-07-2006, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,758 times
Hi! Ratbert gave me the link to this site. I lived in Carbondale for 20 years, grew up in Harrisburg and have resided in Marion for the last year so I can pretty much answer most questions.

Chloe- you asked about school districts. There are a few areas of Murphy where it's Carbondale school district. If this is something you decide to do, please confirm with the Carbondale school district before signing anything. I know of a couple families that were told they would have their choice of schools, but that was untrue.

The Carbondale high school district is made up of the Carbondale City Schools as well as feeder schools (Giant City, Unity Point and DeSoto). Heritage Hills that Ratbert mentioned is Unity Point. My kids attended both the city schools and Unity Point. We purposely moved from the city schools because of changes in their gifted programs and discipline. This was in the late 90's so I'm not sure what is going on there at the present. The schools are now set up with attendance centers (prek-1, 2-3; 4-5,and middle school in a brand new building). All the attendance centers have been updated and added on to.

I can highly recommend Unity Point. What impressed me most was the amount of years the teachers stay there. Teaching vacancies are rare, usually only due to retirement. The UP distict has some incredible homes and new subdivisions, finding homes out there is always a challenge. UP has a very large cultural diversity with inclusion of students from some of the SIU housing. This is one of the best benefits.

Giant City is a smaller school and there are several nice new homes popping up there, too. DeSoto is a very close knit school with lots of activities and opportunities for the kids to be involved in more activities and sport teams than in the larger schools. Many of the homes are zoned for lower income.

The high school was built in 2003. It's state of the art and just incredible. The performing arts wing is wonderful with a beautiful auditorium, dressing rooms, music practice rooms, etc. Technical labs, you name it...it's there.

I think I've rambled enough....can you tell I'm proud of our schools and the area?

If you have more questions, please ask away!

Scrmom3

Old 12-07-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Call me paranoid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbert View Post
Deeptrance, I told you I'm marketing. And I confess Girl Geek is a friend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrmom3 View Post
Hi! Ratbert gave me the link to this site. I lived in Carbondale for 20 years, grew up in Harrisburg and have resided in Marion for the last year so I can pretty much answer most questions.
I sense a conspiracy here! You're part of the Global Elite and you're trying to brainwash us into moving to Carbondale for a chip-implanting experiment, where we will all be brainwashed into believing that Carbondale is the best place in the world. But that's just a small experiment as part of your larger plan to develop chips that will make people think whatever you want them to, based on broadcast signals from the satellites you own!

It's too late for me. I'm on my way to Carbondale. I hope there will still be housing available, as I'm sure there are thousands like me who have become hypnotized by this conspiracy and we're all renting U-Hauls to move to SI.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 AM

Waaaaa haaaa haaaaaa! You are on to me Deep Trance!

We'll keep the lights on.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Local blogs

http://www.shawneenet.net/dispatch/ (broken link)

Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 17,353 times
Hmm. I tried to post just a moment ago and I think my computer ate it. So if there are suddenly several of me, my apologies. :-)
I've been reading everyone's comments and I think I'm brainwashed too. My husband and I have decided to move to Carbondale this coming summer from Corpus Christi TX. I would like to ask you all some more questions though... We've been looking at some houses online the past couple of days, and we're amazed at how cheap the home prices are! We're originally from a small town in Arkansas, and I previously lived in Springfield MO, but Carbondale manages even to beat out those markets.We'll be looking for something slightly rundown (I believe realtors prefer to call that "in need of some TLC" :-p), close to campus, and have seen several in the 30-40k range. So I guess my question is: is this usual? Or have I just hit on a particularly cheap season or something? Thanks for any info or input. I look forward to hearing more about this apparent slice of paradise, chip implanting program or not. :-D

Old 12-09-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctuary83 View Post
....if there are suddenly several of me....I have decided to move to Carbondale this coming summer....
Are all of you moving there? This is gonna be weird! I was interested in Carbondale, but if the streets are suddenly gonna be full of several of the same person, I just don't know if my head could handle that or if it would explode!

They do make it sound like a nice place, don't they, sanctuary. It's good to know that there are these pockets of appealing lifestyle, culture and natural beauty that are still "undiscovered" by the masses who throng to places like Denver, Seattle and Austin. I've been pushing Chadron, Nebraska on the NE forum, but have been schooled by the locals that it's incredibly remote, has a rather insane climate and isn't a very realistic choice for a middle-aged single man to go and expect to find his mate. Alas... it's such a beautiful little town with the nicest neighborhoods and parks, and the setting is exquisitely gorgeous. But 3 hours to the nearest sushi bar? Hmmm...

Old 12-09-2006, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 17,353 times
Deeptrance: Since moving to TX we've made several trips up to Austin (ACL Fest accounts for some of the best times I've ever had) and enjoyed it, but the size and cost kept it from being somewhere we considered moving when we leave here.
We were set to move back to Arkansas, to the Fayetteville area which has recently been booming and is often referred to as a sort of "mini-Austin," but the home prices there are prohibitive and by having the only major sports team in the state we felt like too many of the college's resources go to athletics over academics.
Carbondale sounds perfect for us at this point in our lives, though I am concerned about not being able to stay there very long after we both (finally) finish school due to what sounds like a shortage of job prospects. Anyone care to comment on what sectors might provide the most jobs (other than the college), or if any are particularly deficient?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois