Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,518 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Las Vega, Nevada, but I am orginally from Rockford, Illinois. My family and I moved out of Rockford almost 4 years ago. Rockford is a big city, however, finding a job is very, very difficult. That is the main reason we left. The city is a dead-end type of city. Not much going on, and if you do finally get a job, you then have to worry about getting laid off. Very, Very common in Rockford.
The weather is horrible. Very humid in the summers, and very cold in the winters.
The four years I've lived in Vegas, I've only flown back to Rockford once, and that's only because I have family there.
Honestly, I would highly consider not moving to Rockford. I plan on moving out of Las Vegas within the next year, and moving back to Rockford was never considered.
The schools in Rockford are not the best. Gangs and drugs are quite common. If you have a family, I would consider moving to Byron, Oregon, Rockton, or Roscoe.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 01:51 PM

196 posts, read 969,686 times
Did you make the move yet....? How is it going...will you be letting us know? Just curious.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,597 times
My family and I live in Byron and love it. We have 3 daughters ages 11, 8, and 4. The schools are good. There is only one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school, so there is no question as to what school your kids would go to. There is virtually no crime here, at least I haven't heard of any. I would say a decent started home here would start at 130,000We love it here. The property taxes are okay, I'll see if I still think that once I get my tax bill! If there is anything else I could answer for you let me know. Moderator cut: advertising Byron is a good place to raise a family.

Last edited by Marka; 03-20-2007 at 08:25 AM..

Old 03-22-2007, 12:32 PM

158 posts, read 868,534 times
Roscoe and Rockton Schools are way better than Rockford. That is if you are going to use the public school system.

You have to apply to the public schools in Rockford and then you might get the school you asked for or you might get one really far from you home. If you have too kids around that should be in the same school they may be sent to different schools.

My kids go to Rockton schools and they are excellent! The whole staff there are really wonderful.

Dont take my word for it look up the school stats on Illinois School Report Card web site. You can see for yourself.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 17,139 times
Default florida to rockford?

i'm from illinois and lived in rockford for a bit, and now i live in florida.

i'm moving back to the midwest to be closer to family... but otherwise, i'm not sure i would, especially not rockford.

i just think that coming from florida, rockford might be a shock to your system - especially the harsh winter.

i've also heard bad things about rockford schools (although there are always exception - e.g. i have some friends who went to hononegah high school and seemed to like it).

also, the city itself is not exactly beautiful, although there are things to do if you know where to look. it definitely has an industrial feel to it, as others have noted.

i will say, though, that almost everyone i've met from rockford is really great. the people i've encountered there are friendly and good-natured. the midwestern friendliness is different than florida friendliness, though... maybe it's a little more quiet and subdued.

and the cost of living is the cheapest i've ever experienced, so that is a plus too.

and if you hate it, chicago is about an hour and a half drive, and madison, wisconsin, is not too far either (maybe an hour or so also? i don't remember).

just be sure to visit before you move! hope this helps!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 25,789 times
How is the area by 173 just west of 90? Are the schools good there, what would they be? It appears to be a nice location by Rock Cut State Park. How is the crime in that area?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:25 AM

90 posts, read 353,092 times
Machesney Park is currently undergoing tremendous retail and residential growth. The fastest growing corridor in Northern Illinois is located right in the village. Called the Gateway District, the corridor at the crossroads of IL 173 and IL 251 (just west of I-90)has grown from cornfields to big boxes and restaurants within the past three years. Menard's, Kohl's, Target, and Home Depot are located here, as well as specialty stores like EB Games and Goin' Postal. National and local restaurants include Chili's, Panera Bread, Quizno's, Qdoba, Papa Murphy's, Steak n' Shake, Jimmy John's, Happy Wok, KFC, and Long John Silvers. A state-of-the-art 14-Plex Kerasotes Theater opened April 2005.

The developments along the corridor are creating a number of infrastructure improvements to support the increase in traffic. For example, ground was broken on the long-awaited Perryville Road extension in October and the project will tie into Swanson Road by the end of the 2005 construction season. In addition, the state and toll authority are finalizing plans for the interchange at I-90 and IL 173, as well as the widening 173 to four lanes.

These projects, along with the ongoing construction of more than 1,000 homes in the immediate vicinity, are creating jobs for area residents, improving safety and traffic flows, and expanding housing and shopping opportunities for residents in the five-county area.

The school for Machesney Park is Harlem, which is a decent district. If your kids are athletes, they have fantastic sports programs there.

The Rockford Speedway is also right there. There are some homes that surround that area that I know hear race car engines every weekend.

If you look to the east side of I-90, there are some very nice neighborhoods going in there all along the corridor. If you'd like additional information, shoot me a PM.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 AM

572 posts, read 2,486,448 times
If you buy any house in the area make sure to hire a home inspector even if its a new home please hire one. It can save you alot of headaches down the road.They know what too look for. It may have great curb appeal but there are hidden shortcuts the builders take. As for Rockford !! Read my Rockford is horrible thread but thats only my own opinion but notice i did not get anyone saying i was wrong on any topics i brought up. It may seem cheaper to live there but add on $400 a mo to your house payment for property TAXES! If your ever late past 10 days they can put your home up for Tax sale. Taxes are way out of control there.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 25,789 times
Thanks. What subdivisions are going up east of 90? Also $400 a month are less then what I pay now for a townhome in Bartlett. But when I look on realtor sites with up to date taxes for 2006, they are usually between 2800 and 4200 per year for newer homes 2002-2005. New homes are hard to tell because they wont be fully taxed for another couple years. What is the tax percent for homes? 2%.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:56 PM

22 posts, read 145,408 times
Default Why move to Rockford?

Just saw your post on moving to Rockford from Florida. As I never really cared for Florida, I can only say that I cared for Rockford even less. I used to live there for 6 years, and it was the longest 6 years of my life. It seems that every city agency had its hand out, and if I remember correctly, Winnebago County had 17 different taxing bodies. The schools aren't that good, new construction is very shabby (housing wise), and it seems that the developers have control of the town. Tax incentives are given to new development, and it's up to the taxpayers to shoulder the burden. Imagine the new Lexus dealership not having to pay a property tax for 10 years. I was lucky enough to sell my house for what I paid, and the best I ever saw Rockford was in my rearview mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois