Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,812 times

Advertisements

Not that I speak from much of any experience, but I grew up in both Peoria and Bartonville. I lived in / near downtown Peoria until age 9, and since then, I have and continue to live in Bartonville (I'll soon be 18). From these personal experiences, I can tell you that Bartonville is BY FAR superior than Peoria.

I live just right above Garfield Hill... The homes around here are potentially older (40-50 yrs. old) than the newer homes being built up and around the Limestone High School area, but all still hold their value quite well.

All the homes that are located before the Dream Hut (a ice cream shack at the corner of Anna / Garfield) will have your younger children heading to Bartonville Grade School, located at the bottom of Garfield Ave. Hill. I went to this school, as did my much older brothers and sisters back in the 60's and 70's. Currently, it has the most terrific English teacher in Mrs. Janice Adams, as well as great math and history teachers in Mr. Joel Kilgus and Mrs. Patty Avery.

From my over 8 years in living here, I've found the village to be very quick to repair damage to their roads and/or replace them. Speaking of that, my particular area of the village has just recently had some of their streets completely repaved.

In other posts, people compared Pekin to Bartonville. They are completely not comparable. Although Bartonville is growing in size, as I previously mentioned, you'll find most of the newer homes out around / paste Limestone High School. In the lower and central portions of Bartonville, you will find it to have a small hometown feel to the neighborhoods. Pekin, on the other hand, is quite a large town. It has it's own hospital, Wal-mart, Sears/Kmart, park (with lagoon inc. paddle boats), paid fire department, water park, and many shopping malls. Bartonville has a library, park, DQ, 2 McDonalds, Family Dollar, Dollar General, and large hunting / fishing outlet (Presley's Outdoor).

You can judge for yourself, but I've found Bartonville to be a village that, once again, still has a small hometown feel, but with a few nice amenities. It's within 15 mins. of most neighboring towns and it's crime rate is rather low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 28,679 times
Default lots of small towns around Peoria

There are so many options in the Peoria area depending on the "feel" you want. Pekin has very nice areas as does Bartonville. Other nice options with good schools are Morton, Washington, & parts of East Peoria. Morton has a small town feel that still has a walk up DQ and a cute downtown. Dont let people tell you that it is a snotty town. We moved here 2 yrs ago from Chicago & everyone couldnt be nicer. Each neighbor around us brought cookies, candles, etc to welcome us to the neighborhood. We didnt even know our neighbors in Chicago. Washington also has a small town feel and a quaint downtown. Good schools, friendly people, and also a short drive to Peoria. If you like a bit more of a country feel Mackinaw & Deer Creek are nice. It all depends on where you need to commute to and far as best options. Peoria has some great schools and also Dunlap too. Some cookie cutter out there, but there are some charming areas too.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:43 AM

672 posts, read 1,417,908 times
I grew up in Bartonville and have little bad to say about it. The biggest portion of the village is clean, safe, and easy to move around on foot or bicycle. The schools are great, also. I moved across the river to Marquette Heights, which is another great small city, even closer to Peoria, Pekin, or Morton.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,563 times
Smile Local native living and loving it

I grew up in Bartonville all my life and have a fondness for my community at present and the individuals involved as well.Nothing compares to my hometown - YES!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:27 PM

269 posts, read 1,100,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
I grew up in Bartonville and have little bad to say about it. The biggest portion of the village is clean, safe, and easy to move around on foot or bicycle. The schools are great, also. I moved across the river to Marquette Heights, which is another great small city, even closer to Peoria, Pekin, or Morton.
Bartonville is a very livable community. Good thoughts on Marquette Heights too. Perfect location to everything, but interestingly enough, it feels fairly secluded from everything else.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
[QUOTE: My Fiance and I are thinking about moving to Bartonville IL. Can anybody tell me about this area such as crime? Is it a nice area? I heard it's right next to Peoria.

Bartonville is in Peoria County on the southerrn most edge of Peoria. It is not too far from the county line between Peoria and Fulton Counties. I've lived there. I have a cousin and friends with children who have happily lived in Bartonville and raised children there for a number of years. Is it Mecca? No, but neither is any other town in America.

The question for you to answer is why are you moving to Peoria and what - in terms of housing, shopping, health care - will meet your needs? Bartonville is in central Illinois which is composed of five counties: Peoria, Fulton, Tazewell, Woodford and Mason. Woodford is the farthest north. Mason is the farthest south. Thus if you live in say, Havana or Mason City you will drive about 50 miles to Peoria, and if you lilve in Goodfield, you will, too. Livingany where in Illinois is not cheap - but county living is cheaper. Peoria has certain advantages the other counties do not have. Some of these are shopping. 3 hospitals and medical school, university, almost every univeral religion is represented here, awesome library and park systems, AAA class pro ball clubs, upsale dining and shopping, Civic Center plus most of the national chains.

Illinois is surrounded by water on three sides and the Illinois River runs through central Illinois. It is a 278 mile commercial waterway. The widest point is Lake Peoria were it is about a mile wide. When if floods every town and house with a water front floods including: Bartonville, Chillicothe, Peoria, Pekin, Spring Bay, East Peoria and Havana. Sometimes the flooding is brutal like it is now in Iowa and at other times it does little damage but it leaves one big mess to clean up. If you don't like bitter cold, high water, traffic jams, and bugs, move south of Jefferson City, Missouri for that is where the Ozark Mountain range begins - and it is beautirul country.

The bedroom communities are: Eurkea, Goodfield, Morton, Washington, East Peoria, Spring Bay, Germantown, El Paso, Chilicothe, Dunlap, Marquette Heights, Pekin, Green Valley, Manito, Mason City, Canton, Lewistown, Farmington, Norwood, Bellevue, Hanna City, Creve Coeur, Brimfield, Tremont, Mackinaw, Deer Creek and every little burg between. It is not unusual for the residents of these communities tocommute to Peoria or Springfield

Central Illinois has .

Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,520 times
Thumbs up Am a local, hence the name =)

I'm at the top of bartonville on the big hill and why the heck is the spell checker thinking bartonville is spelled wrong??? Anyway people are nice and virtually impossible to be flooded because of height, but once side is slightly vulnerable if somehow Ike comes a long way . But there's a tornado warning right now while im typing but is passing over also. I'm in 8th grade and have only had 1 drug problem at the school but was taken care of immediately. Rarely touchdowns of tornado's are here. This town is just great =).
Edit: Now theres flash flood warning...YAY HILL!!
Edit2: Come on!!! Ike is actually coming to IL and at the south of it and im in central, this is gonna be hell.

Last edited by hottroddlvinbville; 09-12-2008 at 10:23 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 03:51 PM

The only thing left to be said is Adams Street in Bartonville is Route 29 which turns - and crosses the Scott Lucas bridge into Pekin - where it meets Rt 9 at the Fulton County line. .

Adam Street is industrial, near the water and has a lot of truck traffic. Ergo it is a noisy, busy, dingy street. The only bar - I believe is the 904 Club - is usually busy because it serves up pretty good food. It's been in business in the same location for many, many years. You do not want to live in the flood plain near the river.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,520 times
thats downtown bartonville, theres E R and Betty's uptown

Old 05-25-2012, 07:42 AM

n/m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois