Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,893 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating putting in for a job in Rockford, and I am trying to get as much information as possible about the surrounding area. I have been reading threads on the Roscoe area, and I have seen a couple of remarks discussing shaddy builders or poor construction in Roscoe. I was hoping somebody could provide me with a little more information about this. Is it true? Who are the builders to stay away from? etc..

Also, if you could provide any information about Roscoe I would appreciate it. What would be the tax rate on a 200k house, are there any issues with the water quality, is it a growing area? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 02:25 PM

572 posts, read 2,485,884 times
Do a google for Maplecrest construction most new homes were built by them. If you buy any home get a home Inspection for sure.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:34 PM

11 posts, read 39,417 times
Cdubbs, I would take Havasu's advice and get a home inspection. Although I have also read some negative comments about Contry and Maplecrest homes, I would imagine they make a few decent ones, just be careful, look for problem areas and have them inspected.

As far as Roscoe taxes go, I would think $5K would be a very good estimate on a $200K home.

Have not heard of any water issues and yes Roscoe is growing. I have no idea how full the schools are as far as if they need to build more (which will raise your taxes more).

I am also considering the Roscoe area but have not made up my mind yet.

Here is a link to a Winnebago County site that shows what homes last sold for, fair market value, and taxes paid on the fair value.
You have to enter an address and the property should show up. You can just enter the street name by itself and then find the house number from there. You also get an idea of the lot size and neighborhood homes by clicking on the overhead photo on the right.

Property Search (http://ims.wingis.org/ParcelSearch.asp - broken link)

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:57 AM

62 posts, read 299,845 times
Remember "Fair Market Value" is not how much the home is worth. This is how the township assessor assess your home. Usually the home can sell for anywhere from 10-40,000 over that Fair Market Value.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Yes, and a home can also sell for the same or less than fair market value. Especially in today's inconsistent market.

By the way, in your fair market example, if a home sells for $130K and it was assessed (fair market) at $110K, it won't be long before the taxes are assessed on the $130K selling price. It is a matter of time before the new owners are paying higher taxes based on the latest selling price.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 PM

The Office of the Assessor doesn't have the authority to reduce assessments based on sales price only if it were to go to the Board of review. This will never happen.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM

You apparently misunderstood my example.

Why would the Assessor reduce fair market value if a home previously assessed at $110K sells for $130K?

I simply suggested that the assessors office will eventually correct the situation by bringing the FMV that taxes are based on, more in line with the latest selling price.

This is the same thing as recent home sales in your neighborhood increasing significantly. Your FMV and taxes will also increase as a result from those around you.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:50 PM

I have called the Rockford Township Assessor and they told me it's illegal for them to base your taxes on the sales price, but if the fair market value is more than what you paid you can file a complaint and they will review it.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 21,765 times
Default Grew up in Roscoe

Hey,
I grew up in Roscoe, my family's been there their entire life as well. For anyone has been there for more than 20 years, my Grandpa ran the Apple Orchard off of Belvidere rd. For what my opinion is worth, Roscoe is a great place to live. The area is close to Chicago without being abnoxious (don't want to drive into the city? drive to Harvard and take the train.) It's close enough to the burbs of milwaukee and madison that if you really wanted to, you can commute.

Just so you know, the southern part of Roscoe (the developments right off of the 251 area before you hit downtown Roscoe) are in the Harlem School District which is where I went. When I graduated (2003) it was very good on the education scale (my classes were always more demanding than my stepsister's who went to Hononegah) although it was in Machesney Park (also known as Machesney Parkansas). But seriously, I loved Roscoe.

Last edited by Juj2003; 03-20-2008 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 PM

Juj2003,

Yes, the Rockford area school boundaries are very complicated to say the least. For example, the new development east of Showplace 14 where Perryville currently ends to the North, has a large area that is still Rockford School District. I am talking about the South end of Mitchell Road just North of Rock Cut State Park off of 173. It is hard to believe that this is not Harlem School District. Same thing goes for the South side of Rock Cut. Loves Park address and Rockford Schools. I imagine the kids on these buses have quite a distance to go every day.

There is another subdivision off of Argyle Road, Northeast of Rock Cut that is in Boone County, with a Caledonia address, Boone County Sherriff, and Rockford Schools.
Makes no sense at all to bus kids to Rockford that are so much closer to Harlem Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois