Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 11:30 AM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuja1 View Post
I'd go for Metropolis IL. You are 5 minutes from Paducah, KY which has plenty of shopping; 1 hour from Marion and Carbondale. And there are lots of natural parks where you can hike. The weather is warmer there than the rest of the state.
That area is pretty brutal for allergy sufferers and all areas along the Ohio River have poor air quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,323,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
There are many nice towns along the Illinois and Mississippi rivers.
That is true.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:50 PM

1,128 posts, read 2,007,109 times
Maybe something in the vicinity of Lake Carlyle? Close to St. Louis (an hour, give or take), closer yet to shopping in Metro East (Fairview Heights/O'Fallon), lots of biking/hiking trails, great fishing and boating, etc.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:59 PM

384 posts, read 379,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
While the big superman statue is nice, the OP indicated that his wife wants city trappings. You won't get that in Metropolis.

Paducah, nearby has plenty of shopping options in my opinion. In that case, you might as well live in Paducah then, I guess.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,875,952 times
I know someone who is a veteran and pays no property taxes here in Illinois. That is a great thing. The cost of living is high in most parts of Illinois. You can try living in the western suburbs of Chicago, some are very pretty (man made pretty) with nice parks, towns and trails to walk on and we have lots of Forest preserves. You won't get a river view necessarily or a water view but some places have artificial lakes or ponds. There is a large veteran's hospital at Hines. I'm just mentioning the Chicago suburbs because no one else has. Plenty of place to rent or buy, there are small homes, condos and townhomes. You have a lot of cultural things in Chicago and shopping and restaurants galore.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Default Clarifications...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I know someone who is a veteran and pays no property taxes here in Illinois. That is a great thing. The cost of living is high in most parts of Illinois. You can try living in the western suburbs of Chicago, some are very pretty (man made pretty) with nice parks, towns and trails to walk on and we have lots of Forest preserves. You won't get a river view necessarily or a water view but some places have artificial lakes or ponds. There is a large veteran's hospital at Hines. I'm just mentioning the Chicago suburbs because no one else has. Plenty of place to rent or buy, there are small homes, condos and townhomes. You have a lot of cultural things in Chicago and shopping and restaurants galore.
To be exempt from Illinois property tax a veteran would need a disability rating of 70% or greater. It is probably not the wisest thing for some one so impaired to live anywhere without assistance, especially rural areas...

38 CFR Book C, Schedule for Rating Disabilities - Web Automated Reference Material System

Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 PM

532 posts, read 438,398 times
Default Thank You

Thanks you for taking the time to reply to my retirement in Illinois inquiry !

Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,908,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
Thanks you for taking the time to reply to my retirement in Illinois inquiry !
I second the Shawnee National Forest area suggestion. Beautiful hills, waterfalls, canyons, woods, and its quite a bit warmer than northern IL with snowfall that often melts off very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois