Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:17 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
What do you guys/gals think will happen? I'm guessing that we will eventually get to the point where the funds run out. How far off are we thinking that is?
I'm not sure what the break point would be. I don't know that it matters. My prediction is a democrat wins in 18, dems pass a tax hike, the money doesn't get used the way its supposed to and we start the cycle of kicking the can down the road again. I don't really see an end in sight. Just more uncertainty. This state needs real reform but it isn't happening as long as Madigan is still kicking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 06:39 PM

685 posts, read 767,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
What do you guys/gals think will happen? I'm guessing that we will eventually get to the point where the funds run out. How far off are we thinking that is?
In a worst-case scenario, the pension systems would reach pay-go status, similar to Social Security. Illinois effectively solved the long-term pension issue with its Tier II system, but the Tier I retirees will still be drawing benefits for the next 40 years.

In a best-case scenario, voters overturn the constitution's pension clause. Thereafter, all future benefits would be shifted to the Tier II system, or a defined contribution system. Illinois would still be liable for Tier I benefits that have already been earned, but at least the bleeding would stop.

The real issue seems to be budget debt. Deficits cannot be sustained forever, as the interest will continue to accumulate.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:42 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
I'm not sure what the break point would be. I don't know that it matters. My prediction is a democrat wins in 18, dems pass a tax hike, the money doesn't get used the way its supposed to and we start the cycle of kicking the can down the road again. I don't really see an end in sight. Just more uncertainty. This state needs real reform but it isn't happening as long as Madigan is still kicking.
Unfortunately, I think this is the most likely result, and I really hope I'm wrong. The new Democratic administration will immediately pass some sort of budget. It won't be balanced or be tied to any reforms but it will be good enough to get our bond rating above loan shark interest levels when coupled with the massive tax hike they will hit us with at the same time. To fix the damage Rauner caused, they'll claim. Future reforms will be promised after "we get ourselves out of this."

Many will hail them for saving us from Rauner and will enthusiastically pony up. Then, they'll just keep on borrowing and spending and the deficit will keep growing.

What will happen in the long-term I'm really not sure. We will probably get to find out. I doubt that something will be bankruptcy, for the reasons I discussed yesterday. Too many special interests would stand to lose. Nor will entrenched interests like public employees take any real hit.

About all I can see are increased taxes on residents and businesses. We can only hope the economy stays otherwise strong enough to offset that!

Old 06-14-2017, 11:23 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
"Madigan has often relied on support from working- and middle-class voters, including unionized public employees who are a potent political force in the state."

"Between January and November, the governor, his wife and his campaign fund gave at least $37.5 million to candidates and groups, many of which targeted Madigan in a torrent of television attack ads, state records show."

Special Report: The man behind the fiscal fiasco in Illinois

I've often wondered how someone this corrupt remains in office, now I know.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:34 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
"Madigan has often relied on support from working- and middle-class voters, including unionized public employees who are a potent political force in the state."

"Between January and November, the governor, his wife and his campaign fund gave at least $37.5 million to candidates and groups, many of which targeted Madigan in a torrent of television attack ads, state records show."

Special Report: The man behind the fiscal fiasco in Illinois

I've often wondered how someone this corrupt remains in office, now I know.
That would be working and middle-class voters (defined in declining standards) in a very small area around Midway Airport in Chicago - voters who are often employed by the government. He also receives millions upon millions from public employee unions, which are not working and middle-class voters. Most working and middle-class voters do not have access to those jobs, which are often awarded on a patronage basis, and are tough to get in any case.

You can say what you will about Rauner but I wouldn't characterize this as the poor workin' man v. the rich evil billionaire. Especially given that your party is going to have a billionaire running for governor itself!

Old 06-14-2017, 02:17 PM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Especially given that your party is going to have a billionaire running for governor itself!
I have no party, unless the majority opposed to M.M. qualifies. Never have I seen a small minority of garbage collectors/street sweepers on the south side do statewide damage.
Speaking of damage, I drove 150 miles of state roads yesterday. All of them are in disrepair, including the tollways the authority is making a fortune on.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:31 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Property tax bills in Chicago increasing as much as 10%, about 6% in Cook County suburbs!

Cook County residents' property taxes going up, especially in Chicago | abc7chicago.com

Old 06-14-2017, 07:35 PM

3,496 posts, read 2,187,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I have no party, unless the majority opposed to M.M. qualifies. Never have I seen a small minority of garbage collectors/street sweepers on the south side do statewide damage.
Speaking of damage, I drove 150 miles of state roads yesterday. All of them are in disrepair, including the tollways the authority is making a fortune on.
Which Tollways are in disrepair? Most of the system has been reconstructed within the past 10-12 years.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:24 PM

335 posts, read 334,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Which Tollways are in disrepair? Most of the system has been reconstructed within the past 10-12 years.
https://www.google.com/amp/abc7chica...-says/2102138/

Old 06-15-2017, 04:10 PM

3,496 posts, read 2,187,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
That has nothing to do with the Tollways. IDOT stands for Illinois Department Of Transportation. The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority is a separate agency and funded exclusively through paid tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois