Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 38,225 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm helping someone find a house to rent, and I want to make sure particular areas are safe.
--Does anyone know if the 1900 block of E. Missouri Street (located near the corner of Nebraska and University) has any safety concerns?
I'm just wanting to find some place that is not inherently dangerous.

--Also, E Wren Street in Peoria Heights...it's a Peoria Heights address, but it's near Galena Rd down by the river, so I wasn't sure if houses down by the river were a bad place or not.

--One more thing, I saw in another post that someone said to avoid South Side, North Valley, and East bluff, but I don't even know where those places are. Can someone give me a description or show me where they'd be on the map? I can assume that they are on the south, north, and east edges of Peoria, respectively, but Peoria is a big place so I want to make sure I'm not looking in those areas.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 PM

51 posts, read 144,670 times
I've lived in the Peoria area 2 years now, and I can answer most of your questions.

Missouri Street: 1900 N. Missouri is near Nebraska Ave. Bad area. Numbers increase as you go N. It starts getting nice N of about 3100, nicer yet N of 3700 (War Memorial Dr.). You really want in the 50's or 60's N, which is a nice middle to upper middle area.

Peoria Hts., near Galena Rd.: Not a bad area, but a little bit lower White (I use the term "banjo-y"). It's also a long drive to grocery stores and shopping.

South Side, N. Valley, E. Bluff: Official Peoria directions are screwy.

The South Side
is indeed a bad area. The main access to it is via Adams Street downtown, or else via Western Ave. from the Bradley area.

The North Valley is the area just directly N. of downtown. You drive through it driving up Hwy. 29 (Adams St.) from downtown N to the McClugage Bridge. Hwy. 29 is its eastern border, the bluff is its western border.

East Bluff
: To me it's "North Bluff". Directions are screwy. This is the high ground (bluff) you see to the west from the Near North side, the area I just outlined. You traverse the spine of it when you go north from the hospitals, up Glen Oak Ave.

The East Bluff isn't all that bad. It can be in the bad areas, but on the precipice of the bluff itself are some find grand old homes, some very pricey. But go just west of there and it gets bad.

The thing to remember about directions in Peoria is that what you "see" isn't what the map sees. Example: To me, looking across the river from downtown Peoria and traveling east across the I-74 river bridge is going straight E. That is, to me. But maps show it as more or less slightly south of SE.

So if you think of downtown Peoria as facing south (not east), the designations "east bluff", "N valley", etc. make more sense.

I'll simplify this in graph form:

DOWNTOWN ACROSS THE RIVER: My direction: E; Real direction: SSE
I-74 EASTBOUND ACROSS THE RIVER: ditto
N. VALLEY: My direction: N; Real direction: NE
SOUTH END: My direction: S; Real direction: SW
EAST BLUFF: My direction: N. bluff; Real dir.: NE

If you're moving to Peoria, the best areas are N of War Memorial Dr.; Grandview Dr. (ritzy); parts of E. Peoria; the far NW areas; and an area called Dunlap which is N of Peoria. Washington and Morton are also nice suburbs.

With some exceptions, the further N you go, in Peoria, the better it gets. Peoria isn't growing much, but what growth there is is N and NW.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 14,202 times
What is Germantown Hills like?

Old 04-01-2010, 03:17 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyray View Post
What is Germantown Hills like?
Yuppieville and the wannabees.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:05 AM

296 posts, read 1,183,144 times
Good post by Six-Five. One thing I would add is that the Heights is actually very nice. Everything from small, affordable, working class homes to upscale neighborhoods. They have a great little downtown, good schools, and you really are not at all from shopping/grocery. PH has a small town feel while being nestled close to Peoria. The Galena Rd. area is not bad at all.

The poster is right to tell you to avoid the South Side, East Bluff (unless you're loaded and can live on Moss Ave.) and the North Valley. NV is a little trickier as there are some decent working class areas as you move further away from downtown, still that area is not all that great. The general rule of thumb is that things are nicer the further north you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois