Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:00 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times

Advertisements

Chicago's was always Lake Michigan and when the river was causing polluting Lake Michigan water and its water source? The city chose to reverse its flow from entering the Lake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fta23457 View Post
The water in Chicago is dirty too. Its no clean sparkling spring. You probably would go out of business with your decisions
Why would anyone link Chicago and Flint, Michigan and its tainted river water source?

Chicago #3 best Tap water in this link with NYC at #1 getting its water from reservoirs in NY state Adirondack, Mountains. #2 Steven's Point Wisconsin and #3 Chicago getting its water from Lake Michigan.

The Top 10 Tap Water Cities in America | HuffPost

Chicago is home (right downtown) of the James W. Jardine Water Filtration Plant in Chicago -- is the largest water treatment plant in the world.

• Chicagoans use nearly 1 billion gallons of water a day – enough to fill the Willis (Sears Tower) two and half times.
• Lake Michigan is the source of Chicago’s water supply.
• The plant treats one million gallons of water a minute.
• The plant serves 5.5 million people in Chicago and surrounding suburbs.
• The plant has 96 swimming pool-size filters to treat water
• Eight hours after entering the plant, water is ready to drink.

Some people will pull anything to mock Chicago with a huge political reason behind it. Why link Flint, Mi water source and Chicago's as examples of dirty water? Flint's was change from another Great Lake and that drastically lowered its drinking water standard to a tainted river.

Most older cities, including Chicago, add corrosion-fighting chemicals to the water supply that form a protective coating inside pipes. Officials in Flint stopped the treatment in an ill-advised attempt to cut costs. The EPA study and other research shows the anti-corrosion treatment also can be thwarted when street work, plumbing repairs or changes in water chemistry disrupts the coating, causing alarming levels of lead to leach from service lines.

If you don't disturb the service line, it works pretty well, but disturbing them in repairs and replacements can cause issues.

Last edited by DavePa; 09-04-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 04:09 PM

44 posts, read 43,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Chicago's was always Lake Michigan and when the river was causing polluting Lake Michigan water and its water source? The city chose to reverse its flow from entering the Lake.

Why would anyone link Chicago and Flint, Michigan and its tainted river water source?

Chicago #3 best Tap water in this link with NYC at #1 getting its water from reservoirs in NY state Adirondack, Mountains. #2 Steven's Point Wisconsin and #3 Chicago getting its water from Lake Michigan.

The Top 10 Tap Water Cities in America | HuffPost

Chicago is home (right downtown) of the James W. Jardine Water Filtration Plant in Chicago -- is the largest water treatment plant in the world.

• Chicagoans use nearly 1 billion gallons of water a day – enough to fill the Willis (Sears Tower) two and half times.
• Lake Michigan is the source of Chicago’s water supply.
• The plant treats one million gallons of water a minute.
• The plant serves 5.5 million people in Chicago and surrounding suburbs.
• The plant has 96 swimming pool-size filters to treat water
• Eight hours after entering the plant, water is ready to drink.

Some people will pull anything to mock Chicago with a huge political reason behind it. Why link Flint, Mi water source and Chicago's as examples of dirty water? Flint's was change from another Great Lake and that drastically lowered its drinking water standard to a tainted river.

Most older cities, including Chicago, add corrosion-fighting chemicals to the water supply that form a protective coating inside pipes. Officials in Flint stopped the treatment in an ill-advised attempt to cut costs. The EPA study and other research shows the anti-corrosion treatment also can be thwarted when street work, plumbing repairs or changes in water chemistry disrupts the coating, causing alarming levels of lead to leach from service lines.

If you don't disturb the service line, it works pretty well, but disturbing them in repairs and replacements can cause issues.
Lolol quit acting like Chicago has holy water. It has pollution issues too

Old 09-04-2017, 05:39 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Stop moving the [Mod cut.] goalpost(!)

There is no truth behind your [Mod cut.] statement that chicago drinking water has pollution issues- it does not.
Yes, taxes are high here and politicians are shady, but we are no Flint at the tap

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-05-2017 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language; personal attack.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:19 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
You listed Chicago water quality with Flint, Michigan's. Why should anyone leave that claim not corrected? Flint had a Great Lakes source originally. Changing to a tainted river and not taking precautions to coat older lead underground pipes lead to this boondoggle they were in.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:12 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Hmm, that's a pretty bold statement, but it also looks like you live in Wisconsin!!

The company my husband works for is currently headquartered in Oak Brook and is in the process of moving to Indiana by the beginning of next year. This is a global company that will be taking thousands of jobs from Illinois and taking them to Indiana!

We lived in Illinois our entire lives and moved to Indiana last year and LOVE IT!!!! Oh and we are both educated, btw!

Love that my property taxes are capped at 1% of my homes assessed property value!

Love that I bought a home for $300k that would have cost $400k in Illinois!

Love that I'm only 38 miles from downtown Chicago if I care to visit.

Love that my children's schools are rated a 9 and have more computer labs than their old schools in Plainfield, IL which was supposedly a good school district.

Love that Indiana is fiscally sound!

Love that people are actually friendly here.

Love that the majority of my neighbors moved here from neighboring states such as Illinois and Michigan!

LOVE that the company my husband works for is moving here!!!!!!!!!!!
Indiana may be good for business but for individuals it sucks, I haven't been there in years and have no desire to go back.

I wouldn't wish the commute from Indiana to Oak Brook on my worst enemy

Old 09-06-2017, 04:36 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Indiana may be good for business but for individuals it sucks, I haven't been there in years and have no desire to go back.

Didn't you read my post? His company is in the works of moving here! As far as you thinking it sucks here, that's your opinion. No one is making you move here! I thought Illinois sucked, so I moved out of it. To each their own!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:53 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Didn't you read my post? His company is in the works of moving here! As far as you thinking it sucks here, that's your opinion. No one is making you move here! I thought Illinois sucked, so I moved out of it. To each their own!
Until his company moves to Indiana, the commute from Indiana to Oak Brook is pure hell, I would never take a job that had that commute, hell the commute from Indiana to the loop during rush hour is hell, add travel to Oak Brook, smh, forgetaboutit

Old 09-07-2017, 03:59 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Until his company moves to Indiana, the commute from Indiana to Oak Brook is pure hell, I would never take a job that had that commute, hell the commute from Indiana to the loop during rush hour is hell, add travel to Oak Brook, smh, forgetaboutit
It's 50 min to an hour. He works 6am-2:30pm so he misses the rush hour traffic, plus he travels out of town for work 1-2 weeks out of the month so it's really not a big deal. He's also been there 17 years, so he can come and go as he pleases for the most part. I agree that if he worked regular 9-5 everyday that would be a hell of a drive!

Old 09-09-2017, 09:23 AM

44 posts, read 43,901 times
Quote:

The beautiful thing about opinions is everyone has one.
However not all deserve respect and should be valued.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
I will say, it's been eye-opening the oppression that a 10% sales tax has on a population. Why would a business want to be in this state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois