Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 01:48 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Of course. I can understand if you are used to greater Chicago trappings like I am now living here, Dane county fringes might be a tad ridiculous. Regarding your comments on home prices though, you are somewhat misguided. Those are entry level home prices within a very reasonable driving distance to a location with decent jobs. That will be always attractive to those individuals not wanting to live in a city but have no problem with a 20-30 minute easy commute to white collar employers along Madison's Beltline, etc. Yes, the state government is in Madison, along with a major University. And stop signs are red too(!)

I agree that Middleton can be a little bland, but again- you are comparing to something it is not. It's excellent schools, low crime and proximity to Madison makes it quite popular.
No I'm not misguided. People all over the country "live within a very reasonable driving distance to a location with decent jobs" and don't have to pay anywhere near that much for a decent starter home. I could do just as well around here and have all those trappings I'm perfectly willing to give up. And I'm aware of why people pay as much to live in Middleton as they do -- relative to home prices in the Madison area. What I don't get is why home prices are so expensive in the Madison area for such a small metro area with literally no geographical constraints on development, at least outside the downtown area in Madison's case. I'm not aware of anything else like it in the wide-open Midwest.

And nobody's going to fix the pension crisis as long as the public sector unions can buy the politicians who are supposed to negotiating on our behalf instead of theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 02:51 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
No I'm not misguided. People all over the country "live within a very reasonable driving distance to a location with decent jobs" and don't have to pay anywhere near that much for a decent starter home. I could do just as well around here and have all those trappings I'm perfectly willing to give up. And I'm aware of why people pay as much to live in Middleton as they do -- relative to home prices in the Madison area. What I don't get is why home prices are so expensive in the Madison area for such a small metro area with literally no geographical constraints on development, at least outside the downtown area in Madison's case. I'm not aware of anything else like it in the wide-open Midwest.
You assume too much when you focus on available land for development as the only significant driver of RE pricing. Madison *is* quite unique, and that fact has always helped drive it's popularity among those who desire what it offers, hence the housing prices- including some nearby communities. The preponderance of higher paying biotech related jobs in combination w/ the concentration of government, legal and university opportunities there also no doubt pushes prices a little higher.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:14 PM

"a little higher"?

Madison is a nice enough place but it's far and away the most overpriced, overrated city that's not located near a coast.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
"a little higher"?

Madison is a nice enough place but it's far and away the most overpriced, overrated city that's not located near a coast.
Now you are just sounding bitter.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:34 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I see IN, WI, and MI are relocation considerations, but what about OH? It has 3 major metros and Cincinnati and Columbus seem to be doing well, Cleveland less so. You still have four seasons with less harsh winters for the most part, and you're still within a days drive to chicago/IL to visit family.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Now you are just sounding bitter.
Gee, you're really selling me on the place.

Pal, I live in a town that's even more expensive than Madison/Middleton so you can throw a saddle on that noise and ride it right on outta here. Which brings up another thing I don't like about Madison. Posts like this, and...

Quote:
Regarding your comments on home prices though, you are somewhat misguided.
and...

Quote:
You assume too much
... perfectly capture the benign yet insufferable condescension that wafts around the place like Axe body spray at a Langdon Street frathouse party. I had tried not to put too fine a point on it but I've never been anywhere where the people are so infatuated with the smell of their own farts. It makes the "you suburbanites are such rubes" people who grew up in Wheaton and moved to Logan Square after college seem modest by comparison.

Madison would be a fine town if it weren't for all the Madisonians who live there, or rather moved there from Wayauwega for school and stayed after they graduated because it's, like, totally the coolest place they've ever been.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:52 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I see IN, WI, and MI are relocation considerations, but what about OH? It has 3 major metros and Cincinnati and Columbus seem to be doing well, Cleveland less so. You still have four seasons with less harsh winters for the most part, and you're still within a days drive to chicago/IL to visit family.
We looked at Cincinnati before moving back here and yeah, it's a viable candidate, but it's pretty far removed from Chicago. If we're going that far out, might as well add Missouri, Iowa and even Minnesota and Kentucky to the mix.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Gee, you're really selling me on the place.

Pal, I live in a town that's even more expensive than Madison/Middleton so you can throw a saddle on that noise and ride it right on outta here. Which brings up another thing I don't like about Madison. Posts like this, and...

and...

... perfectly capture the benign yet insufferable condescension that wafts around the place like Axe body spray at a Langdon Street frathouse party. I had tried not to put too fine a point on it but I've never been anywhere where the people are so infatuated with the smell of their own farts. It makes the "you suburbanites are such rubes" people who grew up in Wheaton and moved to Logan Square after college seem modest by comparison.

Madison would be a fine town if it weren't for all the Madisonians who live there, or rather moved there from Wayauwega for school and stayed after they graduated because it's, like, totally the coolest place they've ever been.
LOL

You are clearly quite familiar with behaving in a condescending manner.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
LOL

You are clearly quite familiar with behaving in a condescending manner.
If I ever move to Madison I'll no doubt master the art through immersion in no time.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:56 AM

So the primary election results are in, and we have a choice between Fathead and Elbow Face. A Democrat with a D next to his name and a Democrat with an R next to his name. Two billionaires each willing to spend more of their own money than all of us in this thread combined will make in our lifetimes to be the benevolent leaders of the benighted masses.

And with that the wife has signaled her full commitment to get out. Operation Exodus is go.

Quote:
Property taxes in Wisconsin tend to be on par with Illinois as a percentage of home value, but we can find a comparable home to ours in a comparable suburb with comparable schools for about $80K to 100K less. Plus there's a state-imposed cap on the rate of property tax increases. Plus their sales taxes are roughly half what they are in the Chicago area. Plus their gasoline taxes are lower even though there isn't a toll booth in sight. And perhaps most crucially, their public-sector pension fund is 98%+ funded.
Oh, I almost forgot -- you don't need the state's blessing to keep a gun in your own home or purchase ammo for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois