Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 65,412 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've searched for confirmation on this and so I decided to ask a forum with IL residents

1) Does 30 day grace period protect against getting tickets in the event that I'm pulled over?

2) If I have an old car that's been sitting in the garage for 2 years (accident), and I'm considering fixing it.....do I simply request/pay for this year's registration OR a new apply for one OR will I be forced to back pay for all the years that I didn't re-register even if it wasn't in use.

These are for 2 different cars, basically car in (1) is on its last leg but I'm not sure I want to fix it (200K+ miles) OR buy something OR fix up car in (2) to buy myself time.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 09:48 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times
The grace period only applies to the late fee, which they do not start enforcing until after the 31st day. You can still get a ticket for an expired plate within the 30-day grace period, but most courts would probably dismiss the ticket as long as you brought your registration current before your court date. But a lot of municipalities can give you parking tickets for expired plates, even in privately owned but publicly accessible parking lots like shopping malls and office complexes. The municipal hearing officers for those tickets are not likely to dismiss them because the cities and towns use them for revenue.

You aren't required to register a car that is neither operable nor kept in a publicly accessible area so you shouldn't have to pay a late fee to register it after you fix it. You definitely won't have to retroactively pay for all the years you didn't register it.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The grace period only applies to the late fee, which they do not start enforcing until after the 31st day. You can still get a ticket for an expired plate within the 30-day grace period, but most courts would probably dismiss the ticket as long as you brought your registration current before your court date. But a lot of municipalities can give you parking tickets for expired plates, even in privately owned but publicly accessible parking lots like shopping malls and office complexes. The municipal hearing officers for those tickets are not likely to dismiss them because the cities and towns use them for revenue.

You aren't required to register a car that is neither operable nor kept in a publicly accessible area so you shouldn't have to pay a late fee to register it after you fix it. You definitely won't have to retroactively pay for all the years you didn't register it.
Thank you so much Bitey.

Car 1 : I guess I'm in a sticky situation and have 7 days to make a decision....estimated bill from the mechanic is not good.

Car 2 : Much like Car 1, I need estimates first since it was in a front collision AND has been sitting for 2 years. Is there a way to get a temporary license plate while I take it to a few mechanics and body shops(the real concern)? OR I guess I can renew and then transfer it if I'm forced to buy a new car.

OH this reminds me, Car 1 is not legally in my name. If I were to renew, could I transfer it to my newly purchased car (of course with sibling's permission...who gave it to me after purchasing another). I travel for work ergo my hesitation to buy a new/used car and why mine (Car 2) has been sitting in garage.

I guess I'll be on car forums and car shopping this weekend

Old 03-27-2018, 07:44 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
So I have a question, related to this. If I buy a car...who long do I have to get it registered? In my old state it was a full 30 days I could drive on an In Transit sticker. What is it in Illinois?

Old 04-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Just a quick update to help anyone else in my predicament...

1) Car 1 : You can extend your registration for $8/month for a max of 4. It can only be done once but you can choose btw 1-4 months. Not available online, call 217-782-2285 or go into the office.

2) Car 2 : Bitey was right. In my case, I'm due for an emissions test, so I can go in and get a temporary one for 7 days, take the emissions test and then renew.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 18,682 times
I escaped an abusive relationship and had to temporarily move out of state because ex kept trying to locate me. During this time my tags expired and i am planning to return to illinois but my registration is expired and i need to renew. The tags expired in December of 2018. Can i still renew them but have them sent to the address im currently residing? If i explain the situation would they let me renew?

Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAGO View Post
I escaped an abusive relationship and had to temporarily move out of state because ex kept trying to locate me. During this time my tags expired and i am planning to return to illinois but my registration is expired and i need to renew. The tags expired in December of 2018. Can i still renew them but have them sent to the address im currently residing? If i explain the situation would they let me renew?
Call them and ask.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 24,644 times
I had a 1-year emissions test extension from the Illinois Air team last year for the cost of repairs so I could register my vehicle for 2019. Called the Secretary of State(Cyberillinois) today about plate/state temporary 1-4 month registration(again for emissions testing repairs): said they usually issue a temporary 1-4 month registration for end of year emissions testing and the Secretary of State(Cyberillinois) employees refer to it as an extension - said to not mention the Air-Team extension when getting the Secretary of State(Cyberillinois) extension to avoid confusion ... doesn't seem like the Secretary of State(Cyberillinois) are aware of the Illinois Air team extension. for both an owner can get an extension once during the lifetime of the vehicle.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 24,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidshoda View Post
I had a 1-year emissions test extension from the Illinois Air team last year for the cost of repairs so I could register my vehicle for 2019. Called the Secretary of State(Cyberillinois) today about plate/state temporary 1-4 month registration(again for emissions testing repairs): said they usually issue a temporary 1-4 month registration for end of year emissions testing and the Secretary of State(Cyberillinois) employees refer to it as an extension - said to not mention the Air-Team extension when getting the Secretary of State(Cyberillinois) extension to avoid confusion ... doesn't seem like the Secretary of State(Cyberillinois) are aware of the Illinois Air team extension. for both an owner can get an extension once during the lifetime of the vehicle.
[ for both(i.e., 1-year extension on emissions test and 1-4 month extension on vehicle registration) an owner can get an extension once during the lifetime/ownership of the vehicle. ]

Old 12-30-2019, 12:57 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
It does not prevent you from getting tickets for expired registration in the City of Chicago, as I was unfortunate enough to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois