Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 6,789 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking at moving from Milwaukee, WI to Lake County, IL. I plan on keeping my job in southern WI. We have 2 young children so schools are important. We also want a more culturally diverse area as Milwaukee is one of the most segregated and we have a blended family - Caucasian/Hispanic. Looking at homes up to $250,000. I have focused my search on Mundelein, Gurnee, Grayslake, Lindenhurst, Lake Villa, Antioch. Parks are also important, bike trails, easy access to shopping, etc. Any updated advice would be appreciated as most of the postings on this area are 10+ years old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 12:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Milwaukee is similar to Chicago in that both cities are diverse, but incredibly segregated (as most cities are).

If you're looking for diversity, I honestly wouldn't look at any of the north suburbs. Most are 90% white.

Have you looked at any of the areas in southern WI? You'd certainly be a lot closer to work.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:05 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Milwaukee is similar to Chicago in that both cities are diverse, but incredibly segregated (as most cities are).

If you're looking for diversity, I honestly wouldn't look at any of the north suburbs. Most are 90% white.

Have you looked at any of the areas in southern WI? You'd certainly be a lot closer to work.
FWIW, there are more hispanics in Lake County, IL than SE WI, especially in many of the communities listed by the OP in northern Lake County. At the same time I would not label the area 'diverse' per se.

I would probably be interested in knowing what the OP may be 'fleeing' to help avoid it down here if possible (given the unfamiliarity).

Old 04-25-2018, 07:15 AM

We are more interested in living in a more progressive state but still want to be close to family. Also the public schools in Milwaukee are not good. Every time we have been in IL we hear people speaking all sorts of languages and there seems to be much better public schools.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPereid View Post
We are more interested in living in a more progressive state but still want to be close to family. Also the public schools in Milwaukee are not good. Every time we have been in IL we hear people speaking all sorts of languages and there seems to be much better public schools.
Although I am aware of MPS problems, I am a little surprised that you do not look in a less expensive Milwaukee suburb since it would likely be cheaper, especially property tax wise. Lake County, IL is pricey in that regard, especially if you target areas with the better schools. I honestly don't know if you would be any better off living in the more affordable parts of Mundelein (one example with sizeable hispanic population/SFH homes in your budget range). Your budget is unfortunately on the low side for a SFH in the Chicago suburbs, and would include an ~8K ballpark property tax bill for a 3BR/2BA (NW Mundelein).

Old 04-27-2018, 07:50 AM

Well I actually work in Kenosha and there are not good schools in the area. Franklin and Oak Creek would be possibilities, but taxes are quite high in Franklin and the homes that I would want are more expensive, so the monthly payment (mortgage and interest) would still be high. Plus you don't really hear too many people speaking other languages in the area either. Although Lake County might not be as diverse as we would like, it seems better than WI. Another alternative would be trying to save more money and get a home in Cook county, close to 94 for an easier commute up to Kenosha. Do you have any recs for areas in Cook County if the budget raises to $300,000? or "unincorporated areas" where taxes might be drastically lower?

Old 04-27-2018, 08:45 AM

Default You have to pick and choose

Quote:
Well I actually work in Kenosha and there are not good schools in the area. Franklin and Oak Creek would be possibilities, but taxes are quite high in Franklin and the homes that I would want are more expensive, so the monthly payment (mortgage and interest) would still be high. Plus you don't really hear too many people speaking other languages in the area either. Although Lake County might not be as diverse as we would like, it seems better than WI. Another alternative would be trying to save more money and get a home in Cook county, close to 94 for an easier commute up to Kenosha. Do you have any recs for areas in Cook County if the budget raises to $300,000? or "unincorporated areas" where taxes might be drastically lower?
Here's the thing, you will have to pick and choose. Stay in WI where taxes are lower and you get a newer home in generally better condition for the money, or live in the areas you can afford in IL with many trade-offs. Whether or not the schools are 'better' in the areas you can live in northern Lake County is debatable. You are looking for 'progressive' and I don't see it here per se as an option.

From what I understand, in Franklin/Oak Creek where the schools are decent (I have old friends in OC) your taxes would be at least 5K on a 3/2 SFH. Your taxes would be closer to 8K and going up higher in the near term in the parts of Lake County you listed. Cook county unincorporated areas to save a few hundred dollars on taxes is mostly searching for a purple unicorn. Housing costs will set you behind unless you are sitting somehow on a huge amount of home equity, etc. Good schools translates in much higher property taxes down here. WI is still a bargain, even somewhere like Pleasant Prairie, closer to your workplace. Schools in no way are 'horrible' there, just not among the better ones in WI.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:13 AM

I guess I have to decide if I want a bigger house in a more suburban community with less diversity and higher taxes (lake county) vs maybe a smaller home in Cook County close to the freeway that has more reasonable taxes. Can you recommend any areas in Cook County that might provide some walkability, good schools, diversity?

Old 04-27-2018, 09:18 AM

something like this? but I don't know anything about Skokie. that monthly payment of 1800 with taxes/mortgage would be feasible but that would be the top of my budget.
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Skokie/922.../home/13624058

Old 04-27-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
something like this? but I don't know anything about Skokie. that monthly payment of 1800 with taxes/mortgage would be feasible but that would be the top of my budget.
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Skokie/922.../home/13624058
I am familiar with that part of Skokie. It's actually a popular enclave with the relatively low home prices and proximity to the yellow line train to the city.

You will likely be looking at a very outdated home with many issues, so buying at the top of your budget is a mistake in that area. The posted property taxes are likely with senior homestead exemption, so you will be higher than that already, plus re-assessed relatively quickly being in suburban Cook County.

Somewhere in northern Lake County may present a better value and is a much better commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois