Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:47 AM

189 posts, read 310,389 times

Advertisements

I graduated from SIU Carbondale in 1989 and have many good memories from that school. At the time I felt it was one of the more affordable and underrated state universities.

After graduation I moved out of state. The few times I have heard bits and pieces about SIU, I heard there were many improvements made to the campus and student housing, but have also heard there was a decline in student enrollment and the adjacent strip is now a shadow of its former self. It seems like I was there at close to the end of the golden age for SIU.

Could anyone elaborate on the current condition of SIU, regarding enrolment, reputation, and any big plans for the future? Other comments about the city of Carbondale are also welcome.

Thanks,
Christopher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Carbondale's enrollment is down by about 4,000 to 5,000 students since its peak in the early 90s. SIUE's enrollment is currently at an all time high, however. In the St. Louis area the talk is that Edwardsville is on the rise and Carbondale is on the decline.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:19 PM

50 posts, read 72,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Carbondale's enrollment is down by about 4,000 to 5,000 students since its peak in the early 90s. SIUE's enrollment is currently at an all time high, however. In the St. Louis area the talk is that Edwardsville is on the rise and Carbondale is on the decline.
SIUE was at an all time high a few years ago. They have gone down in enrollment as well. Carbondale is still the better university of the two. Of course people in St. Louis would say that. Edwardsville is in the St. Louis metro area. Edwardsville is a commuter school for all the Metro East suburbs.

Has SIUE improved since the 90's? Yes, its grown by leaps and bounds.

Is it as good a university as SIU? Not by a long shot.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 AM

189 posts, read 310,389 times
I appreciate the responses so far. Is there any reason, known or speculated, for the decline in enrollment?

Fewer high school graduates, therefore a smaller pool of potential new students? Increases in tuition that priced them out of their old market, so to speak? Competition from other schools that might have added programs normally sought after by SIU students?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:41 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegirlfromwilson View Post
SIUE was at an all time high a few years ago. They have gone down in enrollment as well. Carbondale is still the better university of the two. Of course people in St. Louis would say that. Edwardsville is in the St. Louis metro area. Edwardsville is a commuter school for all the Metro East suburbs.

Has SIUE improved since the 90's? Yes, its grown by leaps and bounds.

Is it as good a university as SIU? Not by a long shot.
SIUE hit its all time high enrollment last fall. Whether it hits the same number this coming academic year remains to be seen.

I also didn't say Edwardsville has surpassed Carbondale yet. I just mentioned that the impression is that Edwardsville is on the rise whereas Carbondale is on the decline.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:21 PM

164 posts, read 377,703 times
I think the regional state universities (NIU, WIU, EIU, SIU) are suffering from the budget woes of the state and are getting somewhat less attractive. They are still solid options depending on one's major, but far more dependent on state $ than a place like UIUC, which gets hundreds of millions a year in external research funding due to its doctoral programs and science/tech offerings.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:44 AM

589 posts, read 1,107,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
SIUE hit its all time high enrollment last fall. Whether it hits the same number this coming academic year remains to be seen.

I also didn't say Edwardsville has surpassed Carbondale yet. I just mentioned that the impression is that Edwardsville is on the rise whereas Carbondale is on the decline.

Living in St. Louis - I concur that I get this impression as well. I heard that SIU Carbondale has modified the students they are soliciting, and as a result are not securing that strong candidates they once were. Hear say, that I can not confirm.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:28 PM

384 posts, read 383,544 times
I was reading an article in the Southern Illinoisan last week that SIUC is planning on making some changes. They are going to try to focus on strengthening some programs and letting go of others. I believe the article said that they are going to stop trying to be everything to everyone.

I heard part of the reason they were down in enrollment was due to having higher requirements to meet. They also said they will work on retaining the students that are already there because many students leave after their first or second semester.

Carbondale the city also seems lie it's had a lot of crime lately. I still think it is one of the best areas to live in in Illinois. Hope I can get down there someday.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:57 PM

50 posts, read 72,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianist1972 View Post
I think the regional state universities (NIU, WIU, EIU, SIU) are suffering from the budget woes of the state and are getting somewhat less attractive. They are still solid options depending on one's major, but far more dependent on state $ than a place like UIUC, which gets hundreds of millions a year in external research funding due to its doctoral programs and science/tech offerings.
Very true. The only university that seems to be in very good shape in Illinois is University of Illinois in Champaign/Urbana. I visited Champaign last year and the economy seemed to be if very good shape as new buildings where going up all over the campus of UofI. Visiting Champaign gave me hope that the economy in Illinois isn't as bad as I think it is. Bloomington & Effington? seemed to have healthy economies as well as I drove through them.

The "directional schools", including SIU & SIUE, are all not in great shape. EIU & WIU are probably in the worst shape, followed by SIU.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegirlfromwilson View Post
The "directional schools", including SIU & SIUE, are all not in great shape.
I don't get that impression at all. I can only speak about SIUE. I've seen several new buildings go up over the past few years. I know they have really expanded their STEM programs. Even private student housing is expanding in Edwardsville, which indicates that private investors believe the university is doing well.

SIUE is hedged simply by being located in a desirable corner of a large metropolitan area. The other universities, in smaller cities, can't draw nearly as much homegrown support. With the nationwide rise in tuition and board, I suspect that it will be more attractive to financially prudent folks in the StL metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois