Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 4,357 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family to the Champaign-Urbana area and I am looking for the best places for education. I have heard good things about Mahomet, but I am wondering what else is out there and if there are good areas in CU itself. Where are the best areas? Is Savoy also a good place to look?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 08:40 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,507 times
Are you looking for high schools or a total school system? Champaign passed a 225 million dollar bond issue to rehab both high schools, middle schools and some elementary schools. If you have some time ahead for your kids, the Champaign school district will have some nice new facilities in 4-5 years. For elementary kids, you really have to watch it as the lines aren't always clear in Champaign.

Urbana - not great test results and taxes are high. Many of their best HS students are siphoned off into..
University High - U of I's experimental prep schools. Probably the best academic public school but tough to get into.
Rantoul - Haven't heard great things about it but no personal experience.
Champaign Central - Better than Urbana. There are issues with the school but I think it relates to severe overcrowding. The school is really sized for 900 students and has 1400 in it. The preliminary drawings on the school expansion look amazing.
Champaign Centennial - There are issues here as well. Again, the building was built for 1100 and has 1400 in it. The drawings don't look as fabulous as Central but the football and baseball stadiums are here.
Unity (Savoy/Tolono) - They like sports but I don't hear much about their academics.
Mahomet - Sports and academics here are good.
Monticello - Sports and academics here are good as well.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:06 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
The three common options for people who don't want to navigate the "meh" school districts in Champaign and Urbana are Mahomet, Monticello, and St. Joseph. Not only is Uni super-competitive but it admits kids from all over the state, not just the C-U area. Monticello has separate elementary schools for grades K-1, 2-3, and 4-5 respectively. The 2-3 school is clear out in White Heath so that's kind of weird.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:56 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The three common options for people who don't want to navigate the "meh" school districts in Champaign and Urbana are Mahomet, Monticello, and St. Joseph.

I concur. Unity's not bad, either (Tolono/Philo area)

Old 06-14-2018, 08:40 AM

4 posts, read 4,357 times
Thanks so much for everyone's input. It helps me narrow areas we want to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois