Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next 5 years in Illinois
I am staying in Illinois for the long haul 30 34.09%
Leaving the state as soon as possible 36 40.91%
Staying until I finish mhy career and then adios 12 13.64%
Depends on who wins the governor election 3 3.41%
Not in Illinois but want to ove there 7 7.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:31 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I understand that real estate is local. I used to be an appraiser. But this decline is happening. It might be slower in some areas than others. But it's happening. The realtors can deny it all they want but all you have to do is see the DOM and how many fewer sales there are this year as compared to last.
(IMO) It's definitely happening in Illinois due to the following factors -

* High Property Taxes
* Increasing Income Taxes (will obviously go higher if JB is elected)
* High Sales Tax
* New tax law that limits deduction of income/property tax against federal return to $10K max

All of these together will force more to flee and continue to drive down real estate prices (supply/demand). I rolled the dice moving back here a couple years ago when Income taxes were 3.75% and Rauner promised to veto any income tax increase (he tried), but given the factors above and the prospect of another tax and spend Democrat as Governor, I've got a row of boxes lined up and have begun packing. You win some, you lose some, but you have to know when to fold em'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 11:51 AM

3,487 posts, read 2,181,809 times
If all the doomsdayers are right, I’ll be able to afford one of these two homes with my $700k budget in a few years. Sweet!

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/1.../home/14152707

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/1.../home/17217740

Old 10-17-2018, 12:16 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
If all the doomsdayers are right, I’ll be able to afford one of these two homes with my $700k budget in a few years. Sweet!

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/1.../home/14152707

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/1.../home/17217740
You may be right, but many will be left without a chair when the music stops. Hinsdale is one of the few areas where property taxes are still relatively reasonable, but how long will that last (JB, JB, JB)? Even so, the first home you listed has been on market 142 days. The second was purchased in 2003 at $1,135,000 and they are asking $1,279,000 (15 years later). They are likely going to lose money after commission and this is one of the most desirable areas in the Chicago metro. Most homes where I'm at are selling for less than what the previous owner paid so I'll be happy if I can break even or take a small loss.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:19 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
You may be right, but many will be left without a chair when the music stops. Hinsdale is one of the few areas where property taxes are still relatively reasonable, but how long will that last (JB, JB, JB)? Even so, the first home you listed has been on market 142 days. The second was purchased in 2003 at $1,135,000 and they are asking $1,279,000 (15 years later). They are likely going to lose money after commission and this is one of the most desirable areas in the Chicago metro. Most homes where I'm at are selling for less than what the previous owner paid so I'll be happy if I can break even or take a small loss.
Yep. If I sell now, I will take a loss. I bought in 2004.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:30 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Yep. If I sell now, I will take a loss. I bought in 2004.
Of course you would, you bought a home that cost more than a million dollars.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:13 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
At least in the City, sales are down because there is nothing on the market. Sales to closing times are still short and prices are increasing. I have no idea about the rest of the state though. I would never consider living in the vast majority of it.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:42 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Of course you would, you bought a home that cost more than a million dollars.
Not sure I follow your point.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:29 PM

3,487 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Not to sound cynical but someone else’s loss is my gain. Our next home will be our forever home, 25+ years.

Regarding property taxes, Hinsdale hardly relies on the state for public school funding as is. Only ~4% of the public school system is financed by the state. Public school funding is ~75% of my property tax bill. Diminished state funding will have a minimal impact on my tax bill. The other areas more reliant on state funding will certainly take a hit though.

https://www.d181.org/uploaded/Depart...-_DISTRICT.pdf

Old 10-17-2018, 09:32 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Not to sound cynical but someone else’s loss is my gain. Our next home will be our forever home, 25+ years.

Regarding property taxes, Hinsdale hardly relies on the state for public school funding as is. Only ~4% of the public school system is financed by the state. Public school funding is ~75% of my property tax bill. Diminished state funding will have a minimal impact on my tax bill. The other areas more reliant on state funding will certainly take a hit though.

https://www.d181.org/uploaded/Depart...-_DISTRICT.pdf
Hinsdale, like all of the suburban districts, heavily depend on the state for teacher and administrator pension costs. If that changed, it would be a major problem for suburban communities.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:41 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
At least in the City, sales are down because there is nothing on the market. Sales to closing times are still short and prices are increasing. I have no idea about the rest of the state though. I would never consider living in the vast majority of it.
I would never consider Illinois or the Midwest outside of Chicagoland. Northside is okay and the North/West suburbs are very good. Peoria looked very depressed when I visited 2 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois