Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 07:22 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
The ONLY reason I would vote for J.B is he is in favor of legalizing recreational marijuana. I really don't care one way or another about the product but the tax revenue sure could help the state.

Michigan has it on the ballot in the upcoming election and will probably pass it and get a lot of revenue from Illinois people buying weed they could buy in their own state if legal.

Like every other new tax instituted under Madigan, in the long run it only serves to delay the inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
I think he is our best bet to remove the silly amendment requiring a flat income tax, and instituting a the progressive tax the state needs to pay its bills
This is why I'm not voting for him. All of the surrounding states except for Indiana have a progressive tax that is much higher than the 4.95% we currently pay.

People who live in the Chicago area pay enough tax as it is. Going from 4.95% income tax to 6% or higher means less money in my pocket and that's when other states start to look more and more appealing.

Surely there's a way of fixing the pension crisis that doesn't involve more taxes. Everyone wants more taxes, but they don't want to cut the pension payouts.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Hey, I am with you. The Tribune says he will likely double the tax rate.

No, it does not.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
This is why I'm not voting for him. All of the surrounding states except for Indiana have a progressive tax that is much higher than the 4.95% we currently pay.

People who live in the Chicago area pay enough tax as it is. Going from 4.95% income tax to 6% or higher means less money in my pocket and that's when other states start to look more and more appealing.

Surely there's a way of fixing the pension crisis that doesn't involve more taxes. Everyone wants more taxes, but they don't want to cut the pension payouts.
Most states with progressive taxes if you earn anything above literal poverty you are paying near the top rate. I won't support another middle-class tax hike by those POS hypocrite democrats.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:10 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Most states with progressive taxes if you earn anything above literal poverty you are paying near the top rate. I won't support another middle-class tax hike by those POS hypocrite democrats.
agree, if you look at the proposed increase below, anyone making more than $7,500 per year will see an increase. Anyone making more than $15,000 will go from 4.95% to 6.27%. This following the recent income tax increase from 3.75% to 4.95%. So for the masses, Income Taxes in Illinois are essentially going from 3.75% to 6.27%. Couple this with the already insane property/sales taxes and I say, it's time to bail!

https://taxfoundation.org/illinois-d...on-high-taxes/

Last edited by flamadiddle; 10-15-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Yep! Only a few states have tax brackets for people that earn more than 300K/yr. Most others have a bracket for poverty and a bracket for everyone else. So the only difference between this system and our current system is that people living in poverty get a break, but it's likely they don't pay any taxes anyways because of dependents.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:01 AM

997 posts, read 850,310 times
Quote:
Wisconsin’s top rate of 7.65% doesn’t kick in until you make $329,000.00, of course you will be paying 6.25% until then. Iowa’s top rate of 8.98% kicks in around $70,000.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:51 PM

685 posts, read 767,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I would love to understand why people are voting for JB. Please no mention of Rauner in your answer.

"mentioning'. Sorry.
I've heard a lot folks say they feel that JB will almost certainly sign a budget every year. They want that small measure of certainty for their schools, communities, etc.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:29 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I've heard a lot folks say they feel that JB will almost certainly sign a budget every year. They want that small measure of certainty for their schools, communities, etc.
Not sure how signing out of whack budgets would be comforting. Last I checked the state hasn't become totally dilapidated during all of the budget impasses...

Old 10-22-2018, 10:33 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
The state has been de-facto bankrupt for a while Rauner just shined a light on all the accounting shenanigans and stop-gaps they've been using to mask that fact. At this point I see know way for the state to catch up with the $250E9 current shortfall (which is compounding) in the pensions. Not to mention the fact we are overdue for a bear market and bonds rates are rising compounded by the fact Illinois is at near junk rating. I suspect it is going to hit the fan very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: