Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:09 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,188,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I completely agree. The only way I could support progressive income taxes in Illinois is if we also amend the state constitution to eliminate public employee benefit protection. The state has a very long history of increasing taxes but not addressing the pension problem which has existed since the early 1900s or so.
They’ve already come a long way in addressing future pension liabilities with creation of the Tier 2 pension system in 2011. The issue at the moment are the Tier 1 liabilities.

Put yourself in the shoes of an IDOT employee that spent their entire career working for the state on engineering projects. The only reason many of those people stayed as long as they did was due to the pension. They could have made considerably more money performing a similar job in the private sector. Now we want to penalize someone like that because the state mismanaged the funds? That doesn’t seem fair to change the rules of a signed agreement after the worker has retired. The state created this mess now they need to find a solution. I don’t see how it’s fair to penalize those that had no say in the mismanagement of those funds, put in their time for the state (at a reduced pay compared to the private sector), and are likely completely reliant on their pension for retirement living. It’s easy for us that work in the private sector to say well just cut the pensions, easy fix!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 03:25 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Put yourself in the shoes of an IDOT employee that spent their entire career working for the state on engineering projects. The only reason many of those people stayed as long as they did was due to the pension
Seems fair to me. Their union came to them and said "We have the power to get you the most ridiculously generous pension benefits anyone has ever seen!" Those state employees should have asked how the state could afford it. Instead, they just said "Great. Let's do it!"

Now they're retired at 50, living out of state, not paying Illinois taxes. Meanwhile, my already hefty Illinois tax burden is going to double to pay for their generous retirement. Which means that I'm unlikely to ever be able to retire myself. How is that fair?

Old 10-30-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Seems fair to me. Their union came to them and said "We have the power to get you the most ridiculously generous pension benefits anyone has ever seen!" Those state employees should have asked how the state could afford it. Instead, they just said "Great. Let's do it!"

Now they're retired at 50, living out of state, not paying Illinois taxes. Meanwhile, my already hefty Illinois tax burden is going to double to pay for their generous retirement. Which means that I'm unlikely to ever be able to retire myself. How is that fair?

How is it the responsibility of the state employee to ask that question? That makes absolutely no sense. I don’t ask my employer how they can afford my generous salary. Why would I? As long as I receive a paycheck every two weeks I’m not asking any questions on how they are billing their clients because, quite frankly, it’s none of my business. We agreed on terms of compensation at the start of my employment and I’m satisfied as long as they are honoring hose terms.

Would you be upset if the federal government decided to cut out Social Security? Did you ever ask how they planned to afford the payouts by the time you retire? The pension case is even worse because those workers signed a contract as a part of their compensation package, the federal government has no such contract with you regarding social security. Bet you’d think it’s unfair though since you, much like the state employees, paid into the system and were assured that X dollars would be available upon retirement.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:35 PM

And you would be equally scr***d if your employer suddenly couldn't afford your salary or retirement benefits. So considering the stability of your potential employer might be worthwhile.

Regardless, these state employees were staggeringly greedy signing a contract with such lavish benefits. So again, how is it fair that my financial future gets wiped out to support them?

Old 10-30-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
And you would be equally scr***d if your employer suddenly couldn't afford your salary or retirement benefits. So considering the stability of your potential employer might be worthwhile.

Regardless, these state employees were staggeringly greedy signing a contract with such lavish benefits. So again, how is it fair that my financial future gets wiped out to support them?
We are clearly not going to agree on this topic so I’m done discussing it with you.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:18 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:

I actually agree with this. If you are an employee and a shareholder, as state employees are to a certain extent, they or their representatives should consider the fiscal health of their employer when negotiating wages and benefits.

There should not be any public employee unions. It represents a ridiculous conflict of interest. Public employee unions insist on laws that serve their interests at the expense of the common good.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I actually agree with this. If you are an employee and a shareholder, as state employees are to a certain extent, they or their representatives should consider the fiscal health of their employer when negotiating wages and benefits.

There should not be any public employee unions. It represents a ridiculous conflict of interest. Public employee unions insist on laws that serve their interests at the expense of the common good.
So those hired pre-2008 (nearly all Tier 1 employees) knew that the State would end up in the fiscal condition it is today? I challenge you to find a link from that timeframe pre-recession identifying the State of Illinois was headed for a financial meltdown. Heck, as recent as 2008, Moody’s credit rating for the State of Illinois was Aa3. Easy to say where we are today was the obvious outcome in hindsight...

Old 10-31-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
So those hired pre-2008 (nearly all Tier 1 employees) knew that the State would end up in the fiscal condition it is today? I challenge you to find a link from that timeframe pre-recession identifying the State of Illinois was headed for a financial meltdown. Heck, as recent as 2008, Moody’s credit rating for the State of Illinois was Aa3. Easy to say where we are today was the obvious outcome in hindsight...
As recently as 2008, I knew Illinois was being run by corrupt politicians who were mismanaging the state. This should have been even more obvious to state employees, surrounded by political appointees and ghost payroll coworkers.

2008 was also when Blagojevich was arrested. You know, the guy who replaced the last governor, who also went to prison.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
As recently as 2008, I knew Illinois was being run by corrupt politicians who were mismanaging the state. This should have been even more obvious to state employees, surrounded by political appointees and ghost payroll coworkers.

2008 was also when Blagojevich was arrested. You know, the guy who replaced the last governor, who also went to prison.
You just figured that out in 2008? Lol. This state has been run by corrupt politicians since the beginning of time. How did we manage to survive until now? You should read up on the long standing history of Illinois and Chicago political corruption. We were built on it, this isn’t something that just started in 2008 with Blago.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:12 AM

997 posts, read 850,471 times
Quote:

And you stayed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: