Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 PM

136 posts, read 366,323 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else see the streak of light in the sky? I live in the very far west suburbs and I can see a streak that runs vertically in the sky. It is very dull, but it is definitely there. If anyone else sees it let me know is you know what it is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
I saw it last night. It was a sundog, which is like a chunk of rainbow in the sky. Im not sure exactly what they are, but theyre neat. I tried to take a pic and it didnt show up. Either that or you saw the bright orange ray of sun that extended vertically up from the sun? I saw that too, it was beautiful! The further the sun went down, the more pronounced the streak would get. I took a pic of the sunset, but it didnt capture it too well. Is this what youre talking about? Like I said, its not very pronounced in my photo, but you could definitely see the streak better in person and it got more pronounced as the sun set.
Attached Thumbnails
There's a streak in the sky!-4-2-08sunset.jpg  

Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
I have seen those before. they are on each side of the sun. In certain conditions.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:10 PM

136 posts, read 366,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I saw it last night. It was a sundog, which is like a chunk of rainbow in the sky. Im not sure exactly what they are, but theyre neat. I tried to take a pic and it didnt show up. Either that or you saw the bright orange ray of sun that extended vertically up from the sun? I saw that too, it was beautiful! The further the sun went down, the more pronounced the streak would get. I took a pic of the sunset, but it didnt capture it too well. Is this what youre talking about? Like I said, its not very pronounced in my photo, but you could definitely see the streak better in person and it got more pronounced as the sun set.
That could have been it, but I don't I don't think it was. I saw it when it was completely dark outside. It was about 9:00 last night.
Thanks for the picture though. That is a beautiful shot.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:31 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Oh god! It is Barack Obama,the father,and the holy ghost!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
That could have been it, but I don't I don't think it was. I saw it when it was completely dark outside. It was about 9:00 last night.
Thanks for the picture though. That is a beautiful shot.
This is fairly common if a) it's a cloudless night, b) you live far enough away from light pollution and c) the moon phase is at or very near "new" (new moon is tomorrow). What you're seeing is one of the arms of the Milky Way.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:00 AM

173 posts, read 591,708 times
Possibly totally unrelated, but has anyone else heard some weird noises that sound like a hovering plane or something? I woke up to this sound 2 nights ago,(it lasted about 5 minutes) & I couldn't identify what it was. Yesterday it occurred again, that time my 23 year old also heard it & also couldn't figure out where the the sound is coming from or even what it is. I figured maybe something to do with the airport, but I'm wondering if anyone else has heard anything similar.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:01 PM

2,275 posts, read 3,077,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is fairly common if a) it's a cloudless night, b) you live far enough away from light pollution and c) the moon phase is at or very near "new" (new moon is tomorrow). What you're seeing is one of the arms of the Milky Way.
That's right. At night the slightly lighter streak going across the sky vertically would be the light from spiral arms of the Milky Way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois